Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another thread regarding the 2 "doctors" mentioned below and their claims of things like sodium bicarbonate being an effective cancer cure, but felt the broader overall topic merited its own thread:

Quote:
Pardon up front for any offense, but these are only claims with little if anything to back them up. Don't you think that if getting rid of cancer was as simple as downing some baking soda we'd know about it by now? The idea that sodium bicarbonate is or could be "the most effective cancer medicine there is" is blatantly absurd. These are little more than quacks and scam artists making money off of people who cringe at the thought of surgery, chemo etc and want a "natural cure" for cancer so badly that they buy into one which isn't proven in the least that some web site claims is the answer.

PS and oh btw: "Dr" Sircus (I would think "Circus" is a better spelling) isn't even a doctor: http://curezone.com/books/best/authorx.asp?ID=639 From the link: "Dr. Mark Sircus, one of the most prolific writers in medicine, holds the honorary title of doctor of Oriental medicine and was one of the first nationally certified acupuncturists in the United States."

Oh yeah, that's who I want to entrust my life to.

Want more? Simoncini thinks cancer is a fungus. Good grief. Cancer is a fungus - the book by Dr. T. Simoncini

......and the same goes for the acai berry, carrot juice, coffee enemas, magnesium, zinc, or whatever other "miracle natural cure" is being touted.

As I said in the other thread, don't get me wrong: I am all for people exploring new ways to battle cancer (to say the very least) and remain hopeful that if not a "cure" something which reliably prevents, slows, or eradicates many if not all forms of cancer will be found that works better than what we have now, and preferably is not as hard on a person's body...and unlike many of the test tube groupies, I keep an open mind to the possibilities, including "natural" ones. Certainly at the very least, I think a healthy diet and exercise are more important than ever when battling such a thing.

But until these claims are proven and verified to work with any real consistency, they're just that: empty claims. People should keep their eyes wide open and not believe something just because they want it to be true. Of course "it's a free country" as they say, and people can believe whatever they want. Further, with many (in fact probably most - but NOT all) of these, there is little to lose by trying them in addition to the standard, proven course(s) of action. I just cringe every time I see something like this because I fear people who's lives might be otherwise saved will die because they buy into something like this and dismiss a treatment which has been proven to be successful to one degree or other.

My .02

Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Great post.....I support you 100%

Now prepare for the onslaught from the whackos.......

Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,249 times
I am recently diagnosed, so naturally am reading up on everything and anything. The articles quoted appeared to be associated with some interesting data and I did bring it up with the RN during chemo yesterday. Her first question was "was there any mention of the overall impact to the body of sodium bicarbonate loading?".

I have the articles linked for more study and to see if there is any other corroborative evidence. It would be nice if it was true, but who knows.

I agree that alternative methods should not be embraced while traditional methods work, but when all else fails, it is good to have some potential solutions up your sleeve. I also would not do anything against the advice of my doctor who I have complete faith in.

Your words of warning are welcome and insightful. You have obviously looked into this deeper than my quick glance the other day. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Excellent post Joey. It states what I believe and alternative "cures" always raise a red flag for me.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks very much all. blue, I don't think someone pursuing or believing in this stuff is necessary a "whacko" (although there are some out there), but often I find them to be or sound very close-minded, even borderline "brainwashed" with conspiracy theories dancing in their heads. Again I think it's a case of them so wanting something to be true they rationalize or otherwise convince themselves it is.

ice, sorry to hear and best of luck - I think you have a great attitude/viewpoint about it all.

SD, me too. But I would love to see one of these things pan out!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:13 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,325 times
When my husbands oncologist refered us to a nutritionist...boy did we realize we had a LOT to learn! We are now dedicated lable readers...no sodium nitrates or nitrites(cancer promoters) no high fructose corn syrup(pancreas can't break it down properly), 3/4 veggies at any meal(the darker the better)...alternative sources of proteins...Learn to love your veggies! he's still naughty...on occassion...However, he's alive, cancer free (9mos post surgery) and a non smoker!!!!
It's hard to sort through fact and fiction...thats why we ended up with the nutritionist. Also, the diet to be on when you're going through chemo is something else again!
kick it's a$$, iceshots!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Joey2000 I supposed you would call me a "whacko" because I take a herbal supplement to lower my blood pressure. I have been taking it for about 8 years. It works and I don't have the side effects regularly prescribed BP meds give me. It was recommended by a natropath. I researched it as far as I could before I decided to try it.

I always learn as much as I can about anything in the form of medication or supplements being prescribed for me whether it is an MD or alternative practitioner doing the prescribing. In the case of Cancer, I think people are willing to try anything out of fear. It's understandable when faced with such a serious illness.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Joey2000 I supposed you would call me a "whacko" because I take a herbal supplement to lower my blood pressure. I have been taking it for about 8 years. It works and I don't have the side effects regularly prescribed BP meds give me. It was recommended by a natropath. I researched it as far as I could before I decided to try it.
I might need some of that. So far the Astavan (??) has been driving my blood pressure through the roof.

And these chemo hiccups are very aggravating. Wish I could come up with a option for that.

I guess this is one of the reasons I see much more support and camaraderie between the cancer patients. They are a similar group dealing with the primary issues per doctor's orders, and then trying to minimize the secondary impacts through a patch work of traditional and Homo-pathic proposals. A slightly different solution for all.

Good Luck to all.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
I might need some of that. So far the Astavan (??) has been driving my blood pressure through the roof.

And these chemo hiccups are very aggravating. Wish I could come up with a option for that.

I guess this is one of the reasons I see much more support and camaraderie between the cancer patients. They are a similar group dealing with the primary issues per doctor's orders, and then trying to minimize the secondary impacts through a patch work of traditional and Homo-pathic proposals. A slightly different solution for all.

Good Luck to all.
ice I assume when you mention homeopathic, you really mean alternative or "natural" options. That is not homeopathy, FYI (which is blatant quackery).

Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
I have nothing against alternative medicine as I take vitamins everyday and drink herbal tea and whatever else over the years. My dad (now gone) had cancer back in the 70's and they told him that he had less than a year to live.
He turned down chemo and went the alternative way. It added another 13 years to his life.
Now that I have cancer, I will soon be doing radiation and chemo because it's come a long way since the 70's and I feel like that's the right way for me to go now. After I am done with the treatments, I'm willing to try just about anything to keep the cancer away. My opinion is that it can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.