U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM

135 posts, read 546,395 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this but I'll start here. Backstory and I'll try and keep it short. Hit a large pothole. Notice water in the vehicle the next day, the carpet is soaked. Take it to a few places to determine source of water leak and they can't find it. Decide to get insurance involved as I'm guessing this may get pricey. They have me take it to a collision shop and the shop finds where the water is entering but they can't find the issue. They state to the insurance company that they can't find where the collision caused any leak. So now the insurance company denies the claim stating that the collision did not cause the leak and it's wear and tear item. My contention is that it the collision caused the leak even though there's no obvious damage to the vehicle, I think that the jolt was so hard that it traveled up through the vehicle and found something to either bend, crack, or displace. So now I take it to a GM dealer to find the source all on my own dime. They say even if they do find it to be a crack or something of the sort they won't get involved in saying if it was due to a collison. So am I screwed here? There is a small bit of underbody damage to some bolts that were in the floorpan but besides that no visible damage. What should I do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM

6,367 posts, read 15,675,573 times
What collision? You hit a pothole, not another car.

Most likely you cracked a body seam joint when you hit the hole. Find it, fix it and be done with it.

And if that body shop "finds where the water is entering but they can't find the issue" then you should find a shop that knows what they're doing.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM

It's not as easy as you make it out to be. It's been to three different places. Two collision centers and a upholsterey shop. None could find the source of the leak (last collision place was suggested by insurance). It's going to a dealer now. And it is a collision. If I hit a tree would I be covered under my insurance? It was going to be covered up until the point where the first shop said they think it's mechanical.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Find a good auto glass shop. They specialize in finding water leaks.

Have you talked to the owner of the pothole?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM

It's a city street. I doubt I'll get very far with them. The way it works here is you have to prove they knew about it prior to get them to pay out any claims.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 PM

42,661 posts, read 81,617,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

A tree or a bridge abutment is not another car, either, but it's still a covered collision. But there is a difference between a road hazard and an object that is not part of the proper roadway. If you're driving at high speeds on a bad rutted road, and you split your oil pan, I doubt if insurance would cover that either. It's the drivers responsibility to drive prudently and attentively enough to avoid road hazards.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM

48,503 posts, read 91,877,301 times
Bascaily you have had it accesssed and no examination shows nay cause of the elak assocaited with what the insurnace covers.Souhnds like if it could they would cover it. You disagree then it a court case as always with a contract of insurance.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM

Yes I'm a moron. The streets around were flooded and I had to take a side street to get where I was going. The hole looked innocent enough filled with water but when I hit it (at about 2 mph) the thing wasn't so small anymore. I'm positive it's because of the impact with the pothole but I may just be screwed.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM

6,664 posts, read 29,032,240 times
You have to ask for the cities insurance info and file a claim with them, some city employee may tell you no but remind them it is up to the claims adjuster.

I had a city tree fall on my Jeep in Carmel, the city crew removed the tree - it was three feet across. I had to get a city employee to provide insurance info, took 6 months for the claims adjuster to settle with me. Now in Carmel/Monterey there are auto body shops but they are very expensive the claim was for $5000 in repairs, provided three estimates.

The city of Carmel will not allow homeowners to trim trees and the city does not trim their own.

The claims adjuster called me and told me the city denies fault. I told her we will see a judge then, she asks me to let her pitch me a idea. She offers me half to settle without court. I accept the half offer and get a check for $2500. I had a extra windshield frame in storage, had to buy a new windshield the repaint cost me $300. I pocketed $2000.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

Most likely you cracked a body seam joint when you hit the hole. Find it, fix it and be done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A tree or a bridge abutment is not another car, either, but it's still a covered collision.
And I realize that.

My point was, it was a pothole not an accident with another car. If he's giving all the details (hope he didn't leave his window down) then there's only a handful of things that hitting a hole in the road could do to cause the problem the OP is having. He's cracked a body seam, poked a hole in the floorboard or loosened the seal on the windshield. He didn't say what his deductible is but to me any of those would not justify getting the insurance company involved. But that's just me.

I think his main problem is finding a shop that can take care of his car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance