Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:15 PM

448 posts, read 1,199,087 times

Advertisements

Still laughing here...........but my 15+ year old boy is so in the clouds about costs of any affordable car for him. On his own insurance policy (expected) he'd pay $238/month on a car like our '03 Neon sxt. No comp/collision...........just to look.

I showed him online what wife and I pay....................he crapped............ LOL. Wife and I pay $23/month for decent coverages on that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Yep, I remember when I first wanted a car. Parents said, your buying it, insuring it and fueling it. It was a tough first few years but insurance rates plummeted very fast and it was a great way to build credit.

It will teach him that safe, smart driving is VERY rewarding.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Yep, when I turned 16 I bought a motorcycle and an old Jeep CJ-5. I paid more in insurance than both vehicles were worth every year. The year I turned 21 the rates dropped... but I went through the Jeep with a fine toothed comb and rebuilt it to a crazy powerful beast with a custom paint job from the same person who did the ZZ-Top eliminator car. Talk about spendy to put on the road insurance wise.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
Still laughing here...........but my 15+ year old boy is so in the clouds about costs of any affordable car for him. On his own insurance policy (expected) he'd pay $238/month on a car like our '03 Neon sxt. No comp/collision...........just to look.

I showed him online what wife and I pay....................he crapped............ LOL. Wife and I pay $23/month for decent coverages on that car.
Told him about why this is the case.

Just HAD to bring the young man down to Earth!!!!!!!!!!! Dude thinks everything'll just be forked over for him.............my ass!!

GET IT YUR'SELF if you really want it. Life begins when you want that rig mannnn. Purchase, insurance, gas, friends mooching rides, babes in it. Get ready for hell trying to keep that rig without a side job! Job will pay only for the car at that age.........maybe.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:40 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times
No kid 15 or 16 needs to drive. Its just a toy to them and they should finish high school first.then start driving.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Location: Hate VT & hopefully moving back South someday which can't come soon enough
34 posts, read 43,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
No kid 15 or 16 needs to drive. Its just a toy to them and they should finish high school first.then start driving.
I have to disagree. I used to have to ride the bus for an hour and I'd get harassed and stuff chucked at my head for no reason. It got so bad my mom had to drive me daily and it was a relief when I got my license and I could drive myself. Of course that was years ago.

I just think teens, adults too, need to learn how to JUST drive and not text, make calls, put on makeup, read, or do anything else except driving the damn car!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
In my boys case I certainly agree. we live 1.5 blocks from the High School #1. He has no after school job to justify a car, no chick, just a toy at his point fer sure. Good enough time to be looking around at heaps for him, but no real good reason to get anything. We let him drive us around under permit all that's needed at this time. Just had to show him just one of the costs he'd bear on his own insurance. Life really begins for him, when you havethat first car on your own.

Generally let the kid know alot of things in life you only accomplish out of sheer need like owning a car at 16. Otherwise = money pit for everyone!

Besides he'd have to get it himself$$$$$$$$$$$$. I'd help him make a very wise and experienced choice however; I've had real good luck picking out used cars. I'm no bank or co-signer though.........NO WAY.

Harsh..........maybe but for the best!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Quote:

You'll have a stronger son because of what you're doing and he will be more prepared to take on the challenges in life.

That's far better than sheltering kids from reality and just giving them what they want so their feelings aren't hurt.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Quote:

Ha! One of life's first little life lessons...you can't always get what you want.

I know you need zero validation from any body here, but you are doing him such a good thing by making him pay his own freight. If he doesn't appreciate it now, you know he will. It for sure will make him a stronger person more cognizant and appreciative of what it takes to get by and by extension, make him a better steward of what he does have.

That's the theory, any way...and it usually works out that way.

Nothing you are doing in this case is harsh.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Right on.........we're trying!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance