Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The Progressive insurance group is defending itself against an onslaught of negative publicity after it tried to avoid paying $75,000 to the family of a client killed in a car crash and tried to blame the wreck on her. The criticism began Monday with a blog post from 33-year-old Matt Fisher, whose sister Kaitlynn—a Progressive client—was killed in a June 2010 car crash in Baltimore.

Progressive Faces Backlash Over Car Crash Case - Critics blast the group for fighting payment after fatal crash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I use that Ins Co, and more or less it is the job of any Ins Co to never pay out if they can help it. No Ins Co is in business to pay out, just to get pay In.

In more than 10 years with them I collected from one crash and one theft, both times getting paid off fairly, but I did have to stand firm.

The would have been more than delighted to let me walk away empty handed, but so would any other Ins Co.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I use that Ins Co, and more or less it is the job of any Ins Co to never pay out if they can help it. No Ins Co is in business to pay out, just to get pay In.

In more than 10 years with them I collected from one crash and one theft, both times getting paid off fairly, but I did have to stand firm.

The would have been more than delighted to let me walk away empty handed, but so would any other Ins Co.
But to pay a lawyer to represent the other driver is a bit extreme.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

i have no problem with insurance companies paying out as little as possible, with in reason. but as sailordave indicates, supporting the driver that actually CAUSED the accident is going too far. i hope progressive loses at all levels because of this, they certainly deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
But to pay a lawyer to represent the other driver is a bit extreme.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Well I agree with that. The deal is Ins Co are made up of nothing more than greedy lawyers, and I probably don't need to say a word about any greedy lawyers.... We know all about them... right?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Well I agree with that. The deal is Ins Co are made up of nothing more than greedy lawyers, and I probably don't need to say a word about any greedy lawyers.... We know all about them... right?
Well . . . except that your statment is worng. Besides that nothing need be said.

Insurance companies hire lawyers but they are made up of share holders who elect a board, who in turn hire businessmen, acutaries, accountinants and the like to run the company. They employ lawyers. While anyone who wants money can be said to be greedy, that pretty much applies to every human. Most lawyers are simly trying to earn a living by making our system work and aggressively promoting their client's best interests. Some prefer to promote their own self interests rather than clients, but less than half are like that.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Progressive seems to me like the Capital One of insurance companies. Despite all their mainstream advertising and such, it seems like these entities retain their subprime focus. Focusing on subprime customers generally means NOT focusing on customer service as they're geared up to be dealing with a lot of deadbeats and such.

Insurance companies obviously make more money the fewer claims they pay out, but this case seems over the top. I certainly wouldn't use Progressive knowing they did something like this. Progressive is also a leader in pushing you to put a monitoring device in your car so they'll "lower" your rates (but what they really want to do is raise them when they find you speeding too much, etc).

Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 AM

654 posts, read 3,456,766 times
Hmm...wonder what dear ol' 'Flo' has to say about this.....

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Heck, they pay out over $75,000 in TV advertising everynight, chump change to them. I find Progressive to be one of the worst in the country to deal with and one of the most expensive.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Like I said, I had 2 claims with Progressive and I still use them. I didn't always like what they said to me in words, but after a while they understood my claims were both valid and i was paid off fairly.. Of course my claims were far less than 75,000.

One was parts and labor on a motorcycle and the other was a claim for it's theft. I bought that bike to cross the USA, and did, but I only owned it 360 days.....

I would hope they don't do to me what they have done in this particular case.

And Coldjensens I can be very wrong. I do that every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance