U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM

14,525 posts, read 22,831,267 times

Advertisements

A guy in a SUV that he had just bought used, rear ended my daughter's car at a stop light. He had an Allstate policy labeled "Temp". Allstate investigated the claim and determined that he is liable. However, they won't authorize repairs or car rental until they complete their "investigation". IIUC, he has a new policy now. What could be holding them up? The car is sitting at the body shop, and we already rented a car while we're waiting. The shop said that if we wanted to get the repairs going now that we could get my insurance involved (trying to avoid increased rates and $1000 deductible) and they would try to recover deductible from Allstate. That's nice, but what's going to happen to my already too high premiums if I do that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 6,723,981 times
Call them up and hound them like a bill collector. Or, hire an attorney. Obtain a copy of the police report.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 AM

3,940 posts, read 10,054,061 times
i'd think if he was found to be liable, then if nothing else your insurance would fix the car and they'd go after reimbursement from the other driver.

Years back i was at an intersection; one car t-boned another and they then pushed their way into me. My insurance fixed my truck and they dealt with the other driver who caused it all. My rates were not affected, nor was my deductible taken from my wallet, etc

my opinion is to get your ins agent involved, assuming that there wasnt any fault on your daughter's side you should be ok. But not knowing who you have coverage thru and as i'm not in the biz, this is just my .02

Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM

12,457 posts, read 11,770,757 times
As an attorney, this is one of my biggest beefs with insurance companies. Liability is pretty clear in most rear end accident cases and yet time and time again an insurance company will decline to pay for even a rental car until "its investigation" is complete.

One important piece of information that I didn't see is how long ago this accident occurred. How long have you waited?

I suppose 1% of the time the investigation actually does uncover something that would be a defense to the actual collision. However, 99% of the time it doesn't. Meanwhile all the people who have suffered the loss are expected to wait. I've seen these investigations completed rapidly and I've seen others that go on for 10 days or longer. Much of it depends on the schedules of everyone involved.

If no personal injuries are involved in the accident, there is probably not a great deal that you can do. I would encourage the following:

1. Call the insurance company constantly. Leave lots of messages. Be a royal in the pain in the a**.
2. Try and get the body shop to call the insurance company constantly as well.
3. You could also threaten to contact the Insurance Commission in your state. However, this may not do any good. The Insurance Commission has many things to do and getting worked up over a few days delay in someone's car repairs is not going to be on their priority list.

I was in a accident myself two months ago that totaled my own car. It took the insurance company at least seven days to accept responsibility. In the meantime, I did what you did, I rented a car on my own credit card. Since the other driver was at fault, I knew it was a foregone conclusion that they would end up having to pay for my damages. They simply took over my rental and my credit card charges were removed.

I wish that this process functioned more quickly than it does, but that's about all you can do. As hard as it is, this is a time to be patient. I wouldn't submit the repair bill to my own insurance. I'd wait this one out.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM

4,690 posts, read 9,170,421 times
Every state has an Insurance Commissioner ~ that person (office) is YOUR advocate/big gun all rolled into one as they are the office who regulate who can, and can not, do business in their state. They want to know when insurance companies are behaving badly and in my experience it only takes one single letter to that office (and CCed to all parties) to make things get taken care of in a decidedly prompt manor. I haven't seen a single case (mine, friends, acquaintances I've advised this route online) where this action failed to get things moving. It may not be that the actual Commissioner does anything, it could just be just fear on the part of the insurance company.

Takes you nothing but a few minutes to see how to file a complaint and even file it in some cases.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 PM

5,248 posts, read 11,969,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A guy in a SUV that he had just bought used, rear ended my daughter's car at a stop light. He had an Allstate policy labeled "Temp". Allstate investigated the claim and determined that he is liable. However, they won't authorize repairs or car rental until they complete their "investigation". IIUC, he has a new policy now. What could be holding them up? The car is sitting at the body shop, and we already rented a car while we're waiting. The shop said that if we wanted to get the repairs going now that we could get my insurance involved (trying to avoid increased rates and $1000 deductible) and they would try to recover deductible from Allstate. That's nice, but what's going to happen to my already too high premiums if I do that?
I never understand this. You pay your insurance for a reason. You pay them to PROTECT YOU in situations just like this. If you have the coverage available USE IT. Let your insurance company deal with the adverse carrier and they will. There could be a number of things holding up the "investigation". They cant do anything till they get a recorded statment from their insured, and if he is playing games its going to effect you. Nothing will happen to your rates, unless it was considered at at fault accident.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,191,241 times
How long has it been? You can call your insurance if you want, but if the other is investigating, within the time frame set by said commissioners, there wont be much anybody can do. The best thing is to keep hounding them.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM

It's now 7 days. I contacted my insurance company and am waiting for their call back. Allstate says they are waiting for some paper which won't get to them until Monday.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I never understand this. You pay your insurance for a reason. You pay them to PROTECT YOU in situations just like this. If you have the coverage available USE IT. Let your insurance company deal with the adverse carrier and they will. There could be a number of things holding up the "investigation". They cant do anything till they get a recorded statment from their insured, and if he is playing games its going to effect you. Nothing will happen to your rates, unless it was considered at at fault accident.
I get what you're saying, but surely you can understand that others have limited finances, and can be afraid to take risks. We absolutely cannot afford an increase. You say they won't. How do you know this? It doesn't matter though, I just contacted my insurance

Old 04-25-2013, 03:56 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,588,448 times
Let me mention this as I and others have before, Friend when the average person making a claim trys to deal with an insurance company that person has no real authority to "make" them do a thing. You can wear your phone out calling them and they can ignore you for a long time.The insurance company has the right to prolong your getting anything in a settlement for a period of up to 3 years in my state. Only an attorney can "make" them do anything now and they know it and dont care if you know it or not. Its just the way this business operates..Do not take it personal that they don't care how mad you get .In fact if you get so mad you start name calling it will hurt your case..They dont care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance