Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
Differing rates for married vs. single is legal because marital status is not a protected class (such as race or religion). They use it because actuarial studies have shown those who are married produce significantly fewer claims than those who are single. In most cases the difference in premium is negligible to the consumer. You don't see a lot of people rushing to get married just to save on insurance
I understand that marital status isn't technically a protected class according to some definitions, but the fact that insurance companies can even use that to set rates is what is absurd, even if it's a small amount. It certainly violates the spirit of non-discrimination (even though it's often overlooked while other forms of codified discrimination would result in all kinds of outrage/lawsuits, etc.). The point was that a company/industry that would do that isn't trustworthy to be given free reign for some sort of invasive monitoring system that the OP cited. I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 05:07 PM

203 posts, read 327,373 times
Oh I absolutely agree with the sentiment of not wanting the monitoring. The more information you give your insurance company about your life the more ways they can find the charge you. I haven't heard of this particular program but I would encourage anyone considering it to read the fine print on how they can use the data.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:52 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
No way would I want to drive in fear for the next however long to save a few dollars.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My dad just told me he saved a lot doing it, but then he drives like an old man.

If you have a new car, you are already being monitored. You car is sending all kinds of information to the manufacturer as well as many of the makers of the component parts. Thus, by way of example, if they want to know how often you (and anyone else with your make or model) drive faster than 35 MPH in reverse, they have the data. It helps them decide whether they need to make transmissions that can go faster than 35 MPH in reverse.

So if you are concerned about having your driving habits tracked - you are too late if you have a modern car. They already have data on pretty much everything you have done in your car when and where.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Except, the manufactures are prohibited by law from turning that data over to insurance companies.

Remember, insurance companies are looking to reduce their risk with drivers and they use information from those devices often without regard to the true circumstances and seldom (if at all) do they even tell consumers how their rating point system works for those devices.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Thanks everyone, guess I'll pass on it, they just mailed me a little contraption that looks like a pedometer, guess they'll want it back!

Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My dad just told me he saved a lot doing it, but then he drives like an old man.

If you have a new car, you are already being monitored. You car is sending all kinds of information to the manufacturer as well as many of the makers of the component parts. Thus, by way of example, if they want to know how often you (and anyone else with your make or model) drive faster than 35 MPH in reverse, they have the data. It helps them decide whether they need to make transmissions that can go faster than 35 MPH in reverse.

So if you are concerned about having your driving habits tracked - you are too late if you have a modern car. They already have data on pretty much everything you have done in your car when and where.
But do you want your insurance company to have all this information?

My brother took one of those trackers and now he drives like an old lady. He's saving some money but it's not worth it, IMO. I'm sure the days I'll come when they can track our driving without consent.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:56 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Give hackers another path into your vehicle? No.

Researchers Hack Car via Insurance Dongle | SecurityWeek.Com
Forbes Welcome

These companies clearly have no clue about security, no way I'm going to trust them with my physical safety or data.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Not all, only if you have their wifi, or use your phone with their Bluetooth. The recorded data stays in the car if you don't have and use those options, though it seems to be standard on more and more cars. I suppose they could be downloading data when you go to the dealer for service, but that's not going to be shared with the insurers.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks everyone, guess I'll pass on it, they just mailed me a little contraption that looks like a pedometer, guess they'll want it back!
allstate also has one called drive wise sent it back also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance