Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 794 times

Advertisements

2 years ago my husband was killed in an accident . We were hit head on and the other driver was never charged . It's been two years ,Two years ! I'm so angry ,
I cry all the time, how can this happen .
I mean, I slid and ran a red light years ago, and got a ticket .
It's not like he slid, it was summertime.
He obviously did something wrong , why are there no charges ? My husband is dead .....My daughter is scarred for life and I live in pain but hey , it was an accident? he didn't mean to do it?
I didn't mean to slide ever so slowly across the light either but I still had a charge of failure to stop.... I'm obsessing over it .
I want something to happen ,anything to happen . Something has to happen .
I called the DA.'s office and they said there is not always a charge ? What ! They won't tell me anything.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:45 PM

14,481 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearful View Post
2 years ago my husband was killed in an accident . We were hit head on and the other driver was never charged . It's been two years ,Two years ! I'm so angry ,
I cry all the time, how can this happen .
I mean, I slid and ran a red light years ago, and got a ticket .
It's not like he slid, it was summertime.
He obviously did something wrong , why are there no charges ? My husband is dead .....My daughter is scarred for life and I live in pain but hey , it was an accident? he didn't mean to do it?
I didn't mean to slide ever so slowly across the light either but I still had a charge of failure to stop.... I'm obsessing over it .
I want something to happen ,anything to happen . Something has to happen .
I called the DA.'s office and they said there is not always a charge ? What ! They won't tell me anything.
Where do you live and where was the accident?

The DA won't tell you the time of day. Find an auto accident attorney. No cost.

Too many unknowns. If it was on a single lane road and one car crossed the line at the last second, the head on could have been so quick that no one including the police know who really caused it by being the first car to cross the line.

Go to some North Carolina legal sites and you'll see many, many accidents where someone was killed and the family only got the policy limits of $30,000. A life is worth more than that but that is the law in N.C. as far as minimum limits.

There is supposed to be a 3 year statute of limitations in many states. Check yours.
Speak to a lawyer in the next 24 hours. They are free for the initial consultation.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearful View Post

You mean you caused the accident that killed your husband?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Does OP want jail time cause they caused and accident?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Two separate incidents, I believe.

OP "slid" through a light once which did not result in a death, and was ticketed. In an unrelated incident, the person that hit them head on, resulting in the death of her husband, was not even ticketed much less charged with a crime.

OP, did the police report not assign fault for the accident?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,366 times
"Involuntary manslaughter."

Say your tire falls off ??? And you lose control and slam into a Smart car from any direction. Not your fault. It was the tire's fault.

I know this from TV.. not personal experience.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Didn't Venus Williams have this happen, as well?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM

382 posts, read 513,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Didn't Venus Williams have this happen, as well?
If you mean killed a guy and walked away clean, yes (got a couple of tickets though).

If you mean involuntary manslaughter, not from what I could tell from the body cam I watched. She straight up killed a dude due to her negligence. I never looked into it anymore after the fact so maybe there was something wrong with her car, but if I remember it right she was sitting in it with the A/C running while the cops where watching the other guy die and then they later asked her to move it, which she did.

She made a left turn against other traffic that had the right of away. I don't see how that could be a vehicle error.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
OP, I can't imagine the pain you're experiencing.

Do you know that he didn't get a ticket?

Foe criminal (or traffic) charges to be brought, certain elements usually must be met in order to bring charges. This varies by state, but they usually require either intoxication or reckless behavior.

So, someone has to speed past a school bus stop sign, drive way over the speed limit, etc...

If the police or DA didn't think that he acted recklessly, and that they can prove he was reckless in court, they won't bring charges...

Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Criminal charges would make the OP's case easier, but she can pursue a civil suit for damages regardless. Of course, that may be pointless if the other driver has no assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance