Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times

Advertisements

Geico vs Allstate: currently I'm with Geico and have no complaints (or claims for that matter). Since I'm shopping for new homeowners insurance, I received a quote from Allstate also. However, I would need to switch my car insurance to them as well to make the quote competitive. Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with either Geico or Allstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Geico vs Allstate: currently I'm with Geico and have no complaints (or claims for that matter). Since I'm shopping for new homeowners insurance, I received a quote from Allstate also. However, I would need to switch my car insurance to them as well to make the quote competitive. Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with either Geico or Allstate?
I have rated car insurance companies in by "tiers". Tier 1 is the best. Tier 2 are acceptable companies. In my opinion, Tier 3 companies should be avoided. Unfortunately, both companies you name fall into Tier 3. Consider my advice about contacting an independent insurance agent.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=44565791

Old 07-28-2016, 12:10 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
I've been with Geico now for over 10 years and have zero complaints. When i need to call them it's a quick process to access a human that speaks english and answers in this country. No outsourced call center people in a different country. Every person i talked to has a pleasant phone manner and very professional.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:29 PM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Geico tells they can save Allstate drivers a good bit of cash. When we submit for a quote, no they can not save any. We have been with Allstate for over 25 years, 3 vehicles and home owners. Bank draft on the vehicles to get a discount, home owners billed and we can pay one sum or finance for $3 a month.
What we do not like about Allstate is they raise the premiums 13-15% when inflation is near 2%. Ask them why the increase they blame it on lots of bad weather, other people causing accidents.
We are considering switching or threatening to switch to The Hartford I think the name is from someone we know.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:39 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I have rated car insurance companies in by "tiers". Tier 1 is the best. Tier 2 are acceptable companies. In my opinion, Tier 3 companies should be avoided. Unfortunately, both companies you name fall into Tier 3. Consider my advice about contacting an independent insurance agent.

The tier 1 is 60% more expensive unfortunately (just priced them out).

Old 07-28-2016, 05:09 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
Had Allstate when I owned a condo 30 years ago. Let's just say "the good hands" parted when I had to file a claim. Absolutely no help. I switched to Travelers. I also have Geico now for auto--had then many years ago but switched to State Farm family plan since that was my husband's carrier when we got married. But we're now back with Geico.

I love Geico. When I had an auto claim, they hired an investigator to collect eye witness accounts that I was not at fault. They went to bat for me. I had an accident when I had State Farm & my treatment was terrible--just the opposite. That really opened my husband's eyes to State Farm--so glad we're with Geico now.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I recently got Allstate. I'm not entirely happy with them, but it's mostly because the agent I used is not very good. I'm most likely going to call a broker or two who can work a comprehensive package for all my needs.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Stay with Geico. After working in collision, Geico is better to deal with over Allstate.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:12 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I've had all of them. I currently have USAA,suppose to be the best, and so far the worst. If I had to choose rate wise. Then I think Geico wasa little cheaper, not by much though. What I did like about Allstate. I had an actual agent that I could go to. I dropped them only because of constant rate increases in Florida. I never had problems with Allstate, but I never had to file a claim either. So no real way to tell how they are on that level. I don't like buying car insurance thru call center companies. I would prefer Allstate or State farm because I have an actual agent. However their high rates prevent me, from purchasing a premium from them. So now Im stuck with the call center ones, so I can save a few dollars.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 AM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Mark does your ranking apply to the best, next best when it is time for a claim?
Or a combination of both cost and claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance