Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,772 times

Advertisements

We were Geico customers from more than 13 years and finally planning to move away.

What is the best website where you can key in your cars info and they would send you accurate quotes from different vendors ?

How good are these online quotes what we receive ? do the numbers change when we are ready to signup ?

Please share your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 02:56 PM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
Go direct to each company's website for quotes. Their quotes will be solid. Also contact a local Independent Insurance agent and have s/he shop around for you. No need to contact 3rd party sites.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Go direct to each company's website for quotes. Their quotes will be solid. Also contact a local Independent Insurance agent and have s/he shop around for you. No need to contact 3rd party sites.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that local insurance agents around our neighborhoods or city are part of some big insurance company and not independent insurance agents.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:29 PM

10 posts, read 7,394 times
Honestly, if you plug in your cars, etc... and click submit, then you'll have tons of people calling and you'll get sick of it. Try an independent agent who advertises they write with Progressive or Allstate. Typically, they will also write for Safeco and State Auto, Kemper, etc.. and have really good rates.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:48 PM

Do these local independent auto insurance agents are also biased towards any bigger companies ?
Or we don't have to worry because all we are looking at is the pricing ?

Old 08-06-2020, 07:21 AM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpau View Post
Do these local independent auto insurance agents are also biased towards any bigger companies ?
Or we don't have to worry because all we are looking at is the pricing ?
Do yourself a favor and deal with the independent insurance agents.

There are people who believe that everything in life has to be purchased over the internet with a computer. It simply isn't true that every product and service should be purchased this way. An independent insurance agent offers expertise that you don't get going to this website or that website. Plus, once you are with an agent, they will often contact you and tell you when its time to make changes in your insurance coverage.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:23 AM

You aren't ONLY looking at pricing, but that's a big part of it. We use a rater and it spits out 25+ companies to us and their rates. Here is an example:

Progressive Insurance
Total Premium $455.00 Down Payment $84.19 # Payments 5 $79.17 6

Then as the poster above stated, you have an agent to talk to when you have questions and/or problems.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:53 PM

740 posts, read 458,372 times
You go to an Insurance Broker. Not an insurance agent. BROKER. Brokers have contracts to many insurance companies and they can pick and chose which is the best rate and coverage for a buyer.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
You go to an Insurance Broker. Not an insurance agent. BROKER. Brokers have contracts to many insurance companies and they can pick and chose which is the best rate and coverage for a buyer.
LOL. Semantics my friend. agent or broker - there's no difference. I call myself an agent and have access to 25+ companies. I've never heard one independent AGENT I know call themselves a BROKER.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:27 AM

740 posts, read 458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb28 View Post
LOL. Semantics my friend. agent or broker - there's no difference. I call myself an agent and have access to 25+ companies. I've never heard one independent AGENT I know call themselves a BROKER.

When I was in the industry many years ago, I say I'm an insurance agent to someone who's in the industry but when I'm with a potential client, a client, or when I'm advertising, I say I'm an insurance broker, especially on the P&C side. I don't say it on the Life side because there is no such thing as a life insurance broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance