Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 09:23 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times

Advertisements

I am curious about recent experiences that others have had with Snapshot where your driving is monitored and, based on results, you either get a discount or an increase on your next renewal.

I would appreciate seeing your stats and premium changes after you spent 6 months being monitored.

I have had the device in my ODBII port since August and my renewal is coming up early Feb. I don't have the bill yet. I have had very few hard braking, averaging .44 per week. That's like 1 hard brake in two weeks. No rapid accelerations, and no late night driving.

My friend, OTOH, seems to get beeped for hard braking two or three times per trip. He's one of those aggressive impatient drivers. You've seen them. 10-15 mph over the limit everywhere, changing lanes repeatedly to advance on traffic, speeding up when cars ahead are slowing down, braking at the last minute and ending up practically on the next car's bumper, failing to anticipate what's happening up ahead, etc. And he denies having bad driving habits. But the beeps and my observations say otherwise. And he gets defensive when I mention anything. Probably hopeless but maybe the thought of a big rate increase may convince him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 07:12 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Keep us posted, me? I'd never put that device in any of my cars unless I was trying to trick them into a lower rate by not driving that car much at all. Like oh look its Sunday morning, time to roll out to church then back home for another week in the garage

Old 12-31-2021, 09:54 AM

That's exactly why I tried it. I'm 75, retired, and don't drive much. In August my premium with Pekin went from $1200 to $1800 for a year. I got quotes from numerous carriers and they were all well over $1800 for a year. No accidents, no tickets, 800 credit score, one driver for three vehicles.

Progressive gave me a discount up front for trying the devices. Premium came in about $600 for 6 months.

I put about 1500 miles per year on my Crown Vic, 1200 miles per year on my Challenger, under 200 miles per year on my Dakota (back and forth to Home Depot mostly). I'm one driver for all three vehicles. Nobody gives enough of a discount for that kind of driving.

I actually did have to take the Dakota out and drive it around the neighborhood and to the supermarket just to get a few miles monitored. Otherwise it stays in the garage until I have to haul something back from Home Depot.

I drive sedately and cautiously anyway so I figured it was worth a try. If I don't get a discount it's still a competitive premium.

Doesn't cost anything. Progressive includes a return postage paid label with the devices.

If you're not happy with your insurance rates (who is?) you might want to consider this.

I should get my renewal in a few weeks. I'll be back with the results.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Unless the savings are huge I highly recommend not putting any telematics in your car. They 100% sell your information. Not your name and address but more like a 75 retired man who lives in xyz tends to go to x, y, z locations.

I've seen the telematics reports. It includes way more information than you think.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:36 PM

I'm well aware of how much of my information is out there in cyberspace. Telematics devices don't make things any worse than your computer or cell phone.

I'll know in a few weeks whether I get a rate reduction. If not, I'll go on line and warn people not to do it.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:14 PM

I am curious. There are some carriers now which require an app or telematics to even quote.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I am curious. There are some carriers now which require an app or telematics to even quote.
Name them so I can verify that statement.

Several insurance companies offer it. I haven't come across any that mandate it.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:57 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I've so far resisted putting anything of the kind in my car and I have to wonder: Just how can the insurance company consider hard braking a bad thing unless the 'tracker' also maintains a record of whether something like a child running out between parked cars occurred at the same time as the hard braking?

Old 01-04-2022, 02:57 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I am curious about recent experiences that others have had with Snapshot where your driving is monitored and, based on results, you either get a discount or an increase on your next renewal.

I would appreciate seeing your stats and premium changes after you spent 6 months being monitored.

I have had the device in my ODBII port since August and my renewal is coming up early Feb. I don't have the bill yet. I have had very few hard braking, averaging .44 per week. That's like 1 hard brake in two weeks. No rapid accelerations, and no late night driving.

My friend, OTOH, seems to get beeped for hard braking two or three times per trip. He's one of those aggressive impatient drivers. You've seen them. 10-15 mph over the limit everywhere, changing lanes repeatedly to advance on traffic, speeding up when cars ahead are slowing down, braking at the last minute and ending up practically on the next car's bumper, failing to anticipate what's happening up ahead, etc. And he denies having bad driving habits. But the beeps and my observations say otherwise. And he gets defensive when I mention anything. Probably hopeless but maybe the thought of a big rate increase may convince him.
First line is false. Telematics data can by used to set base rates, but not individual rates above the base rate.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Name them so I can verify that statement.

Several insurance companies offer it. I haven't come across any that mandate it.

Who are you to verify my statement?

The companies who refer to the IoT alot like Lemonade. Go ahead and 'verify' my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance