Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 07:49 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

This post reminds me of a neighbor I once had. She bought a brand new Acura which was her absolute pride and joy. Not a few months later, she had an accident that was not her fault. To make a long story short, she was lowballed and did not get remunerated for the value of replacement. She had to save up for more than another year before being able to purchase another new Acura. I never found out exactly why she let this happen, but hopefully it was a lesson to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 07:58 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
The one added comment I have is to know your Sate's insurance regulations. In some States, with the exception of generic good faith regulations imposed on all insurance companies, State regulations and State Insurance Commissioner's may have little ability to assist you if things get bogged down when dealing with the other person's insurance company. In all States, the insurance regulations favor the policy holder in regards to how they must be treated by their own insurance company, but often falls short on those protections when you are not the policy holder. So, just keep that in the back of your mind.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:05 PM

1,085 posts, read 692,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The one added comment I have is to know your Sate's insurance regulations. In some States, with the exception of generic good faith regulations imposed on all insurance companies, State regulations and State Insurance Commissioner's may have little ability to assist you if things get bogged down when dealing with the other person's insurance company. In all States, the insurance regulations favor the policy holder in regards to how they must be treated by their own insurance company, but often falls short on those protections when you are not the policy holder. So, just keep that in the back of your mind.
Very very few states have these regulations in place for a third party liability claim when it comes to property damage.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:00 PM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
I am always disappointed when someone posts a question like this, looking for help (which they receive) then never returns to add more info and/or clarifications, or don't provide any closure. How about, ya know, a little something for the effort?

Old 01-20-2022, 02:37 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATSY OSWALD View Post
Last week, at a three way stop, the other guy ran through his stop sign at an excessive rate of speed (police report), while I was making my turn, hitting me almost head-on, (thankfully I was not injured) and caused substantial damage to my 2019 SUV, KBB $32k. The initial estimate that I saw on my insurance website without speaking to my rep on Friday was only $20k. WTF? It looks like a total damage to me and I feel that I should get replacement value and shouldn't have to have that much repair done to a fairly new vehicle. I have GEICO, he has Allstate. Shouldn't the other guy's insurance step in and make good? Should I contact them? How does this work? Thanks.....
I have had a couple of accidents in the last 5 years or so with other drivers that are at fault. Firstly, I hope it is clear in the police report that they are at fault. One guy flat out lied to his insurance company about what happened and blamed me. The other guy didnt really have much chance to lie but I sent my video footage to the insurance company which helped speed things up. I wouldnt be surprised if the insurance company delays or denies without hard evidence of who is at fault.

Next, in both instances I didnt tell my insurance company anything and I still believe that was the better move. Those accidents are nowhere on my record which I am not sure would be the case if I filed a claim with my insurance company and I totally expected my insurance company would raise my premium if they spent one penny on the claim. I am not sure if you can withdraw your claim for now but I may call my insurance company to see if I can withdraw the claim so I can pursue the other company (may be too late for no impact though, I dont know).

What happens next, depends. Dont be afraid to do some negotiating or get a lawyer if it would actually benefit you. Im not sure getting a lawyer would make a difference here in NY/NJ, I think that depends on local laws.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:47 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post

Next, in both instances I didnt tell my insurance company anything and I still believe that was the better move. Those accidents are nowhere on my record which I am not sure would be the case if I filed a claim with my insurance company
That's not correct.

Insurance companies report homeowners and auto claims to CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) and all insurance companies have access to it.

Even if you aren't surcharged for not-at-fault accidents your insurance company does know about them.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That's not correct.

Insurance companies report homeowners and auto claims to CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) and all insurance companies have access to it.

Even if you aren't surcharged for not-at-fault accidents your insurance company does know about them.
I recently ordered that report (or at least the one I am able to get for free, it was a lot of pages) and neither accident was on the report. I assumed that it was because I filed with the other person's insurance and never told my insurance company.

There were a couple of accidents there that I was at fault for (well 1 me, 1 my wife) and they were there since the other parties did go through my insurance.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:27 PM

Dunno.

Used to be the CLUE report was one or two pages and I could get it online instantly.

I recently ordered my report and it was 188 pages.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Dunno.

Used to be the CLUE report was one or two pages and I could get it online instantly.

I recently ordered my report and it was 188 pages.
I have mine on my home computer, which I am at now. Mine is 98 pages. It has a lot of bs but the most important thing to me was the accidents that it doesnt have and the tickets that it doesnt have. I rear ended a lady in 2016 and my wife backed out of our garage into a baby sitters car in 2021, both there. I was rear ended in 2018 and in 2021, those accidents are nowhere to be seen. I could be wrong in my logic, its just my best guess based on whats there.

Tickets are less of an issue, last one I got was 2018 and thanks to coronavirus it is still pending.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:09 AM

I have been able to determine (unscientifically) that claims drop off the CLUE report after 7 years.

I will have to accept (also unscientifically) that claims not reported to one's own insurance company do not appear on the CLUE report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance