Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 04:28 PM

304 posts, read 184,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Not sure what got your panties in a wad. Not saying it isnt getting worse.. what I merely said is to use strictly numbers. Percentages are crap most of the time.
The exact numbers were used. Numbers. Not percentages. I don’t understand how that’s hard for you to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 09:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Not sure what got your panties in a wad. Not saying it isnt getting worse.. what I merely said is to use strictly numbers. Percentages are crap most of the time.
And you are correct. Trying to draw conclusions, especially generalities from a focused set of statistics is rarely accurate. You need to cross-reference a ton of other data to draw any meaningful conclusions.

For example, are the number of accidents up, or are there just a higher percentage of fatalities.
Are the increased numbers of fatalities concentrated in specific areas of the country? Specific types of roads, specific types of vehicles? Specific types of people?

Was alcohol use or cell phone distraction involved in more of the accidents that were fatal?

Were weather conditions significantly different this year?

Were these high-speed accidents or lower-speed accidents?

How many of the fatalities involved pedestrians to bicyclists compared to past years?

Were there more multi-person fatalities arising from individual accidents? Were there more multi-car pile ups that resulted in multiple fatalities?

Were there any unusual catastrophic events that skewed the numbers (like an unusual number of bus accidents with 100% fatalities, or a sudden spike in accidents involving RVs due to the sudden spike in Rv popularity)?

Where and how was the data collected? Did the reporting systems, requirements or measures change between the years?

There may be another hundred factors and data streams that need to be analyzed before we can draw any meaningful conclusions from a single number like that. THe MAn in Stax is correct. A single data stream is meaningless by itself.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:50 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Car accident deaths will still be lower than pretty much at any time between the early 1960s and the mid 2000s thanks to modern technology.

But we've moved in the wrong direction the last two years, and it's an interesting question as to why that is. There's a good number of possible explanations, but I suspect it would require some in-depth research to really get to it.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:11 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,543 times
The average age of cars in the U.S. is at an all-time high of 12.2 years old. I wonder how much of an impact that could have on the number of deaths?

Old 06-07-2022, 09:08 AM

2,612 posts, read 928,198 times
Quote:
of course the percentage would be higher compared to 2020 as those were non existent. I would think you base it on the number versus the percentage. Percentages to me have always been flawed
That is an interesting perspective. I would think that percentages/rates are much better than raw numbers. However, both are subject to manipulation and deception.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:16 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Reading this thread reminded me of some statistics I read back in the 1970s which stated about 40 thousand people died each year in auto accidents. So I looked it up. 53 thousand people died in car accidents in 1973,,,,,wow. Keep in mind, the US population was much lower then. Cars are much sturdier now then ever. Reading those stats over the years is like a horror show!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year

Old 06-07-2022, 09:33 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
The average age of cars in the U.S. is at an all-time high of 12.2 years old. I wonder how much of an impact that could have on the number of deaths?
My hunch is distraction and the stupid factor, those who do not know how to drive but do anyway while fiddling with their smart phones at the same time.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:33 AM

2,612 posts, read 928,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Reading this thread reminded me of some statistics I read back in the 1970s which stated about 40 thousand people died each year in auto accidents. So I looked it up. 53 thousand people died in car accidents in 1973,,,,,wow. Keep in mind, the US population was much lower then. Cars are much sturdier now then ever. Reading those stats over the years is like a horror show!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year
I was actually watching youtube videos this morning showing the difference between old and newer cars in crash tests. One is a video of a 2009 Malibu and 1959 Chevy Bel Air. In spite of the Bel Air being bigger and heavier, the difference was very impressive in the newer Malibu stood up much better in the crash and occupants were left in much better shape. I believe newer cars to be even better still compared to the 2009 Malibu. I think the safety progress made in building these cars is amazing and saves a lot of lives.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:39 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
From reading the local newspaper the last 10 years, it seems to me a growing issue is the severity of collisions. Too many wrong-way head-ons, and speeding teenagers missing a curve and hitting a pole at 70 mph. Usually after midnight, when nothing good happens.

Also an increase in auto-ped fatalities. Horrible one near here just last week. Driver doing 80 mph thru a major intersection, misses a slight curve, runs over and kills pedestrian on sidewalk.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:09 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
From reading the local newspaper the last 10 years, it seems to me a growing issue is the severity of collisions. Too many wrong-way head-ons, and speeding teenagers missing a curve and hitting a pole at 70 mph. Usually after midnight, when nothing good happens.

Also an increase in auto-ped fatalities. Horrible one near here just last week. Driver doing 80 mph thru a major intersection, misses a slight curve, runs over and kills pedestrian on sidewalk.
Definitely seen an uptick in reckless driving over the last year or so. Lots of instances of people intentionally driving the wrong way to blow through lights at 40-50. Couple months ago I caught the aftermath of a tree catching a winner. I didn't see any other vehicles involved so probably just a hamfist lost control at speed, spun out, wrapped half their car around a tree while the other half was another maybe 100 feet down the road. Hope the tree was okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance