Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 10:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Sorry, she has been in too many accidents and you only want to get liability coverage? If it was me.. I would tell her to start riding the bus. Seriously not trying to be rude.. but lets think about the other drivers on the opposite end of her driving.
I didn't think I would find myself agreeing with you, but the point that hasn't been made here is that the insurance system is working the way it is supposed too. Bad drivers should be forced to pay high prices for insurance or find it impossible to get insurance.

One thought that has crossed my mind in the past is that perhaps those who demonstrate poor driving skills should be required to purchase higher limits of coverage than the rest of us. After all, the people they harm should be able to count on some protection perhaps above what is standard or average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 12:16 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I didn't think I would find myself agreeing with you, but the point that hasn't been made here is that the insurance system is working the way it is supposed too. Bad drivers should be forced to pay high prices for insurance or find it impossible to get insurance.

One thought that has crossed my mind in the past is that perhaps those who demonstrate poor driving skills should be required to purchase higher limits of coverage than the rest of us. After all, the people they harm should be able to count on some protection perhaps above what is standard or average.
I understand you wouldnt agree with me. Her driving is your bread and butter. I on the other hand think about the results after she has hit some innocent driver on the street. Its better to prevent then deal with the after math. Especially if she should cause a death as a result of her bad driving.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
I understand you wouldnt agree with me. Her driving is your bread and butter. I on the other hand think about the results after she has hit some innocent driver on the street. Its better to prevent then deal with the after math. Especially if she should cause a death as a result of her bad driving.

Well, we don't fully know the details here, either.

Short term driver, so the leash before cancellation is shorter. I mean, I mentioned in another topic, I had a run of bad luck last year where I had a not-at-fault accident in January, then an animal encounter(Deer headbutting side of vehicle) in March and a cracked windshield in June (SC is a no deductible glass state)

Now, I've been with USAA for 26 years.. They didn't blink. Rates didn't even go up. Probably because those are the first claims in over 15 years..

But.. If I was 19 or 20.. Would I have been treated differently?

So.. While I get what you're saying, and.. Additional driver training is NEVER a bad idea.. We don't know the circumstances, so the solution can't be black and white, either.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Please don't think even though I am accident lawyer that I enjoy the thought of people being maimed or killed in accidents. Its happened to people in my own family. My own mother suffered a severe leg injury when I was a child because a driver failed to curb her car when she parked it. My comment about being surprised that I agree with you stems from other disagreements we have had.

I do think the system should penalize poor drivers with higher insurance rates so that bad operation of a motor vehicle incurs penalties.

Prevention is always best.

Last edited by markg91359; 03-01-2022 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-03-2022, 09:43 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
Quote:
Sorry, she has been in too many accidents and you only want to get liability coverage? If it was me.. I would tell her to start riding the bus.
I agree. But that could be problematic if she's a member of somebody's household. Her history will be rated on their vehicles, unless they conceal her presence, and that brings problems of its own.

Insurance companies are reluctant to write Named Driver Exclusions because of the "just this once" factor. You should be able to guess what that means and its consequences.

Quote:

One thought that has crossed my mind in the past is that perhaps those who demonstrate poor driving skills should be required to purchase higher limits of coverage than the rest of us.
Good idea, in theory, but it would raise the cost of insurance for bad drivers (who are already being surcharged up the ying yang) to a prohibitive level that would result in even more drivers being uninsured. Sure, uninsured drivers get cited and pay huge fines, but that often doesn't happen until they cause an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
'Additional driver training is NEVER a bad idea..
Absolutely, Typically comes with a discount.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:15 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,522,112 times
I hope this bad driver is paying for the insurance out of own pocket. Only this can make that person be more responsible. Unfortunately these days many people get away without much consequences in Texas that used to be a strict state in the past.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:23 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
If you're paying for her insurance, stop. Her skyrocketing rates will cause her to rethink her driving style.
I have a niece around the same age with several accidents under her belt. Why,.....smart phones.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Not always. In you live in a no-fault state like Michigan, you can be 0% at fault in an accident and still get demerits on your auto insurance.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Not always. In you live in a no-fault state like Michigan, you can be 0% at fault in an accident and still get demerits on your auto insurance.
Michigan's law is truly bizarre to me. I wonder if they have given any thought there to repealing their broad and expensive no fault law. That alone would lower insurance premiums there.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:51 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Michigan's law is truly bizarre to me. I wonder if they have given any thought there to repealing their broad and expensive no fault law. That alone would lower insurance premiums there.
No fault was supposed to lower auto insurance rates. In reality, it did the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance