Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2022, 11:39 AM

7,082 posts, read 4,521,984 times

Advertisements

We bought our kids their own insurance policy so if in a accident it didn’t raise our rates on our cars. My aunt advised this because of getting their insurance canceled when her 17 year old son was in a accident.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 03:00 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't disagree from a practical point of view that each parent should look out for themselves when it comes to car insurance for their kids. From a legal standpoint though, courts allocate the responsibility for obtaining all types of insurance to different parents in a divorce. Parties that are obligated by decree to do so should honor that obligation period or face consequences for not doing so.
I agree that they should honor the terms of the decree. But it seems that it could open far more questions than it answers. IE, a divorce decree says Dad is obligated to name the kids on my auto insurance policy. Easy. Fine. It doesn't say that I have to buy them a car. Then Mom buys them a car. What good does that do Mom? She'd have to insure her kids to drive her car.

And none of that consults the insurance companies. If you have a 16 year old with a license they will want them on your policy and charge accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
The kid can do what I did when I got my license. They can get their own policy if they want to drive. Driving is not some sort of right as a human.
From a very selfish point of view, why would you expose yourself to that kind of risk? Can a 16 year old even get their own insurance policy? They can't legally buy a car.

Also, I distinctly remember my mother saying to me "I cannot WAIT until you can drive." My driving lifted some of my own parent's workload. Mom could direct me to take my brother to T-ball, I could take myself to hockey practice, etc...

Old 05-13-2022, 08:16 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Can a 16 year old even get their own insurance policy? They can't legally buy a car.
That's a common misconception.

There are a variety of circumstances in which a minor can not only buy a car but very likely buy his/her own insurance.

The following will give you a brief explanation about minors and contracts.

https://www.upcounsel.com/minors-and-contract-law

Old 05-13-2022, 12:09 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That's a common misconception.

There are a variety of circumstances in which a minor can not only buy a car but very likely buy his/her own insurance.

The following will give you a brief explanation about minors and contracts.

https://www.upcounsel.com/minors-and-contract-law
Well, sort of, depending where you live. The insurance contract and registration throw other wrenches into the mix.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:00 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, sort of, depending where you live. The insurance contract and registration throw other wrenches into the mix.
That's right.

Having no particular state in mind I could only post general information.

In your state, statute Chapter 48A of NC statutes addresses minors and contracts and, among other things, allows that

"A minor who is 16 years of age or older and who is in the legal custody of the county department of social services shall be qualified and competent to contract for the purchase of an automobile insurance policy with the consent of the court"

See 48A-4:

https://www.ncleg.gov/Laws/GeneralSt...ons/Chapter48A

Which implies that he could also buy, title, and register the vehicle.

Granted, that and the other sections are for specific purposes, but there is nothing that I can find in the law that would prohibit any person, business, or insurance company from entering into a contract with a minor, at their own risk of disaffirmation in non-protected circumstances.

And there are insurance companies that will write minimum limits on minors, and other high risk drivers, any day of the week. It's a rather profitable line of insurance if a company does a lot of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance