Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 04:42 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times

Advertisements

My son is 16; he got his license 3 months ago. He will be driving family's cars and we need to insure him.

I am with Allstate; I have 3 cars (2023, 2015, and 2000), only liability insurance on all of them. I called my agent to get a quote, and my agent said Allstate cannot add anyone with license less than 3 years. However, agent said my son IS COVERED under my policy unless I specifically exclude him, which of course I am not gonna do. Based on this, it seems Allstate will insure my son without me paying more money... (even though I stand ready to do so).

My wife has AAA insurance. She has 2 cars (2022, 2006), and comprehensive insurance. AAA required her to add my son to her policy officially in order to cover my son; and there is a $2200 increase in premium.

To recap, AAA will not list my son in policy but will insure him. AAA demands my son to be on policy to be insured and increases premium by $2200.

Allstate in this case is obviously a better deal. I am a bit puzzled by the different policies:

1. Is Allstate being forced by the law to cover my son? I can hardly think of any other reason...

2. If above is true, then why is AAA requiring my son to be officially listed and we pay this premium increase? Could the fact that I have liability-only and my wife has comprehensive play a role?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 07:20 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Get that in writing!

Usually the kid is covered as a user while they have their learner's permit, but once the GDL is issued, they should be on the policy as an operator.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:51 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My son is 16; he got his license 3 months ago. He will be driving family's cars and we need to insure him.

I am with Allstate; I have 3 cars (2023, 2015, and 2000), only liability insurance on all of them. I called my agent to get a quote, and my agent said Allstate cannot add anyone with license less than 3 years. However, agent said my son IS COVERED under my policy unless I specifically exclude him, which of course I am not gonna do. Based on this, it seems Allstate will insure my son without me paying more money... (even though I stand ready to do so).

My wife has AAA insurance. She has 2 cars (2022, 2006), and comprehensive insurance. AAA required her to add my son to her policy officially in order to cover my son; and there is a $2200 increase in premium.

To recap, AAA will not list my son in policy but will insure him. AAA demands my son to be on policy to be insured and increases premium by $2200.

Allstate in this case is obviously a better deal. I am a bit puzzled by the different policies:

1. Is Allstate being forced by the law to cover my son? I can hardly think of any other reason...

2. If above is true, then why is AAA requiring my son to be officially listed and we pay this premium increase? Could the fact that I have liability-only and my wife has comprehensive play a role?
I'm guessing you and your wife are separated/divorced and live in separate households? You have different insurance companies?

Old 08-20-2023, 04:07 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Interesting the OP has 5 vehicles between 2 people. (Unless they're motorcycles, then I completely understand!)

Full coverage here, $900/yr.

Motorcycles are separately covered. $480/yr.

All of 'em 500/500/300

With an umbrella on top....

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 08-20-2023 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Removed info...

Old 08-21-2023, 04:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Interesting the OP has 5 vehicles between 2 people. (Unless they're motorcycles, then I completely understand!)

Full coverage here, $900/yr.

Motorcycles are separately covered. $480/yr.

All of 'em 500/500/300

With an umbrella on top....
My wife and I are pretty independent; we kept what we had before. I just have a SUV as my regular car, then a truck to do the hauling which I often need to do. My last car is a 2000 mustang which is just a souvenir from the old days (only 90k miles; still has a lot of life).

I think my liability-only policy for the 3 cars is already 900 per hear....... I am afraid to ask for full coverage....

If I enquire about full coverage, knowing I have a 16 year old driver, do you think the insurance company will welcome that change or resist?

Old 08-25-2023, 09:21 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Interesting the OP has 5 vehicles between 2 people.
I have 5 for one person. 3 on my collector car policy. My car and my truck on my regular policy.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I am a bit puzzled by the different policies:

Adding a teenage driver to an auto policy and collecting the appropriate premium is the insurance industry standard practice.

Why Allstate is covering your son is because the policy says so. Why they aren't charging for it is beyond me.

The following is from a Nevada Allstate policy, so check yours for the wording.

Insured Persons
1. While using your insured auto:
a) you,
b) any resident, and
c) any other person using it with your
permission

However, there is a potential "gotcha" in the policy:

Changes
Premium Changes
The premium for each auto is based on information
Allstate has received from you or other sources.
You agree to cooperate with us in determining if this
information is correct, if it is complete, and if it
changes during the policy period.
You agree that if
this information changes or is incorrect or
incomplete, we may adjust your premium
accordingly during the policy period.
Changes which result in a premium adjustment are
contained in our rules. These include, but are not
limited to:
1. autos insured by the policy, including changes
in use.
2. drivers residing in your household, their ages or
marital status.

3. coverages or coverage limits.
4. rating territory.
5. discount eligibility.
Any calculation or adjustment of your premium will
be made using the rules, rates and forms in effect,
and on file if required, for our use in your state.

(Emphasis mine.)

My own experience with Allstate says be wary of what the agent is telling you. I have had issues with their limited knowledge and honesty.

So I wouldn't rely on just a phone call.

Send an email to your agent as follows:

Dear ____________, confirming our conversation of _____________, my son ____________, DOB_______________, has received his driver license, number _____________, and will be regularly driving my vehicles. You have advised that you cannot name him on the policy but that he is covered.

That should do it for you. Take a screen shot and keep the copy in your insurance files.

Do me a favor if you don't mind. If you can download a digital copy of just your policy booklet I would appreciate it if you would upload it here so I can add it to my insurance reference material. See "manage attachments" below the message box.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:59 PM

45 posts, read 33,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Send an email to your agent as follows:

Dear ____________, confirming our conversation of _____________, my son ____________, DOB_______________, has received his driver license, number _____________, and will be regularly driving my vehicles. You have advised that you cannot name him on the policy but that he is covered.

That should do it for you. Take a screen shot and keep the copy in your insurance files.

Do me a favor if you don't mind. If you can download a digital copy of just your policy booklet I would appreciate it if you would upload it here so I can add it to my insurance reference material. See "manage attachments" below the message box.

We have an email confirmation just like you mentioned from AmFam stating that we don't need to add our 14yr old driver to our policy until he is 16 (has an operator's license rather than learner's) or he either receives a ticket or an at-fault accident.

Impressive, right??

Old 08-25-2023, 07:47 PM

The way insurance companies are losing money these days and rates rising, I'm surprised that two major companies aren't charging for young drivers.

CrazyChyk and RobertFisher, you both have a couple of years, then, to save up an insurance fund to pay for the boys' insurance when they do get added to the policies.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:52 AM

45 posts, read 33,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
The way insurance companies are losing money these days and rates rising, I'm surprised that two major companies aren't charging for young drivers.

CrazyChyk and RobertFisher, you both have a couple of years, then, to save up an insurance fund to pay for the boys' insurance when they do get added to the policies.
My HOUSE INSURANCE on the other hand - almost gave me a heart attack. It more than doubled. I had to sit down with my agent and we discussed raising my deductible to 3k. That lowered it to less than what my premium is now...but wow. Insurance companies are going under left and right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance