Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 08:17 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance.

Will age be factor when switching insurance companies?
Is there an age after which you shouldn't switch or they'll surcharge you?

Basically the question is......... is 65 some kind of age threshold in premium costs that I really should switch before that age....OR...no, switching after that wouldn't be a cost factor.

I'm 63. With Travelers for more than 20 years. THREE policies with them auto (1 car/single driver/'06 Acura RSX, work from home/don't drive to work, AND 1k deductible), homeowners, and umbrella.

Auto policy renewal comping up for 6 month term -- $1,068. (Philadelphia, so that doesn't help.)

I'm planning to stay with Travelers until retirement at 65. Then I really will have the time to deep dive into switching all three policies.

Whenever I call around now no competitors can seem to give me true apples-to-apples coverage for all three policies. I'm on the phone for more than a 1/2 hour, with the rep running various scenarios. It's mind-draining, actually. What policy should be primary to get the best discounts on the other two...three times we have to do that. And, like I said the numbers are never apples-to-apples.

SO...I'm willing to wait until 65 to switch unless I shouldn't wait for an age reason. I really didn't want deal with this while still working. (Yes, I could. I was just hoping put it off.)

I'm also much TOO brand loyal. I love Travelers. They've never given me agita over anything. Then again only claim I've had (other than a couple of windshield nicks over 20+ years) was in '05 they totaled my previous paid off Acura. No issues. Adjuster was great. Customer service great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 08:32 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I've had Erie since 1977. Will look around occasionally (every couple years) but no company, even the supposedly cut rate esurance ones, can meet the rate for the same coverage.

I'm a bit older than you.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
My broker did tell me that many insurance companies do have age factors in setting rates. We all know of the 25 year date but he said the 65 age can bring about slow steady increases. He did mention that longevity history can play a big role in keeping rates low at certain age points. So loyalty can be a big rate stabilizer.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:05 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I agree - I've had Erie for many years and they can't be beat.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:11 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree - I've had Erie for many years and they can't be beat.
Erie's great, but I think it's currently only available in 12 states, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.

So if you don't live in those places, you are out of luck.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:35 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
One review I saw said Erie had a higher than expected complaints percentage.
And I think I saw where their customer service isn't 24/7....and their mobile app options are lacking.
Doesn't mean it's not a great insurance company...just what I've read.

A long time family friend works for NJM. IF I ever switch. I'd consider it first. But Erie might be a contender.

Again my main question is: is age held against a person if waiting until 65 when switching to a another insurance company.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:08 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Again my main question is: is age held against a person if waiting until 65 when switching to a another insurance company.

No.

There are just too many factors involved to pin it down to just age.

Traditionally, there have been discounts for senior drivers.

However, with today's insurance rate crisis, all bets are off.

All you can do is shop around on renewal if you think you are paying too much.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:31 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I did read that car insurance starts to rise at 65. This year I was 69 and my car insurance went up 30% with no claims. I shopped around but everyone was higher.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:13 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
One review I saw said Erie had a higher than expected complaints percentage.
And I think I saw where their customer service isn't 24/7....and their mobile app options are lacking.
Doesn't mean it's not a great insurance company...just what I've read.

A long time family friend works for NJM. IF I ever switch. I'd consider it first. But Erie might be a contender.

Some of those complaints may be more agent based than insurance coverage itself based. I know that over the years we've had a few "incidents" (ex: each of the four kids has totaled at least one car) as well as having vehicles hit by others (I always report that to Erie and let them handle it as far as dealing with the other company) and have no complaints.

The only glitch, if you will, was the summer I went through three windshields on my truck (two stone hits and a tree branch). I got a letter from the main office that my deductible for Comprehensive was increasing from $100 to $250.

Also went through a period where every vehicle (four or five) was repeatedly keyed/vandalized. They whined about it but nothing came of it.

In neither case was the agent involved.

I did drop the towing and road service because, even though it was for anything, I had an issue where the company claimed it only pertained to accidents. Had to point out that wasn't what the policy said.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:23 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I did read that car insurance starts to rise at 65. This year I was 69 and my car insurance went up 30% with no claims. I shopped around but everyone was higher.
Hard to tell whether that particular increase was solely due to your age though age might have played into it. Insurance premiums for many drivers of all ages have risen a lot for multiple reasons.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-i...ge-and-gender/

https://www.caranddriver.com/car-ins...-by-age-chart/

Just recently I renewed my existing insurance coverage with the same carrier. No claims, tickets, nothing for over 30 years. I am approaching 70. My premium hardly changed at all.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-11-2023 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance