Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2023, 12:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times

Advertisements

I was involved in an accident on the 7th. The vehicle in front of me, an SUV, entered an intersection, found that there was no room on the room in front of him, and decided to reverse out of the intersection. I had stopped behind the intersection line and laid on my horn but he hit my car regardless. Then, finding the road now clear on the other side, he sped away. I was in shock and chased him. He turned left at the next junction into an apartment complex that turns out to be where he lives. He spoke only Spanish that I cannot understand so I called the police. Police came, he changes his story to where I rear-ended him (at least that's what I could make out). Unfortunately I have no video evidence of him backing his SUV into my car. The police said since no one was hurt, the damage was not enough for them to make out a report. They just facilitated an exchange of information and left.

I filed a claim through my insurance, Progressive the same night. I described what had happened to the rep on the phone. Today the insurance person assigned to my claim calls me and asks if I had started a claim through their insurance. She said going through their insurance could help me avoid paying my deductible ($500). I showed my vehicle at a couple of body shops who estimate the damage to be several thousands at least, even though it's still drive-able. I am not sure what to do now. Without video evidence, is there any point to starting a claim through their insurance? Isn't it going to significantly delay the process of getting my car repaired? I really want to get it repaired and move on at this point (even though it hurts having to pay a deductible when the accident was not my fault). On the other hand, will my insurance rates increase significantly if I don't try to process the claim through their insurance?

Need opinions and help on what I should do please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 02:01 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I was involved in an accident on the 7th. The vehicle in front of me, an SUV, entered an intersection, found that there was no room on the room in front of him, and decided to reverse out of the intersection. I had stopped behind the intersection line and laid on my horn but he hit my car regardless. Then, finding the road now clear on the other side, he sped away. I was in shock and chased him. He turned left at the next junction into an apartment complex that turns out to be where he lives. He spoke only Spanish that I cannot understand so I called the police. Police came, he changes his story to where I rear-ended him (at least that's what I could make out). Unfortunately I have no video evidence of him backing his SUV into my car. The police said since no one was hurt, the damage was not enough for them to make out a report. They just facilitated an exchange of information and left.

I filed a claim through my insurance, Progressive the same night. I described what had happened to the rep on the phone. Today the insurance person assigned to my claim calls me and asks if I had started a claim through their insurance. She said going through their insurance could help me avoid paying my deductible ($500). I showed my vehicle at a couple of body shops who estimate the damage to be several thousands at least, even though it's still drive-able. I am not sure what to do now. Without video evidence, is there any point to starting a claim through their insurance? Isn't it going to significantly delay the process of getting my car repaired? I really want to get it repaired and move on at this point (even though it hurts having to pay a deductible when the accident was not my fault). On the other hand, will my insurance rates increase significantly if I don't try to process the claim through their insurance?

You might find these helpful:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/i...mage%20covered.

https://www.policygenius.com/auto-in...r-an-accident/

Old 12-10-2023, 07:09 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Iam a retired claims adjuster. I see your questions every day.

Quote:
Without video evidence, is there any point to starting a claim through their insurance?
Even with evidence, I recommend having Progressive take care of it. Faster, less hassle, and they have a contractual obligation to you where the other company doesn't and can jerk you around for months.

Quote:
Isn't it going to significantly delay the process of getting my car repaired?!
Yes.

Quote:

(even though it hurts having to pay a deductible when the accident was not my fault).
!
Welcome to the real world of insurance claims. When Progressive pays to repair your car it will seek reimbursement from the other insurance company for the full amount of the claim and refund your deductible if they collect anything.

Quote:

On the other hand, will my insurance rates increase significantly if I don't try to process the claim through their insurance?
Your insurance rates will go up anyway. Again, the reality of insurance claims.

Quote:

Call the Progressive adjuster back in the AM and insist on Progressive handling the claim.

Or, you can call the other guy's insurance and see how that goes. But if you don't get a positive result in a couple of days, you'll know which way the wind is blowing and you can go back to Progressive.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:11 PM

16 posts, read 13,246 times
Stick with your own insurance, get your ride fixed, and move on from this mess. Ain't worth the headache, my friend. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance