Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 05:11 PM

869 posts, read 613,798 times

Advertisements

Here's what I do when my insurance company raises rates to a degree which I believe to be unreasonable (like an extra $230/month): I go to a different insurance company. I've switched around a few times already. Right now I'm with Progressive. When they raise the rates to a crazy number, I'll shop around and switch. Kind of annoying but worth it to save money.

Being a loyal customer of fifty years don't count for squat. I found that out with Allstate. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 09:07 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,151,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
What is it with US Mail?

I use Geico and everything is done via their iPhone app. Even the insurance card, I simply take a printscreen in the app and put it in a folder. No need to have anything on paper.
There's a few people around who aren't constantly tethered to a smartphone. I keep paper copies of stuff in my glove box so it's always there. It's okay to have it digital and a hard copy as well, just in case.

I'm insured with Farm Bureau and there's no online portal or app, as far as I know. They email me documents to e-sign, or I just go to my local agent's office in person because it's right across the street.

Old 05-21-2024, 04:13 PM

22,730 posts, read 36,966,466 times
Insurers are trying to limit snail mail for a reason that should be obvious. Cost.

Everything with every industry comes down to cost. It's not rocket science.

There WILL come a day you're required to do everything online. Just like almost every large company requires you to use direct deposit or not get paid.

I work for a highly rated insurer. Combined ratio should be low 90s and it's around 120 right now. We are not alone, in fact we are doing better than many. If you think your insurer isn't looking for every way to stretch a penny you're naive.

Old 05-27-2024, 09:34 AM

4,212 posts, read 4,131,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Had Geico for 50 years but I am done. Raised my insurance twice claiming they are raising everyone based on "claims" in the area and their customer service also stinks now. They keep trying to force me to do things online although I never gave them permission they still send things through email. I am finished with them. Now they tried charging me a $10 fee for installment payments because I refused to pay the increase until I talked to them since my 6 month premium was already paid in full but talking to them made no difference.

Looking for a new insurance company. Anybody have any recommendations?
Are you saying they increased your insurance after your premium was paid in full? Maybe I misunderstood that.

Geico recently wanted me to decline the NY spousal liability insurance in the middle of the policy period or they would raise my rates although I declined it last August. (It's a NY law that they add that insurance automatically even if you don't have a spouse unless you decline it in writing.) They told me the form I signed last year had changed so I needed to sign a new form. They wanted me to sign it "electronically" but to do so I had to agree that future policy changes would also be sent electronically so I went to a local Geico office and signed the document by hand.

Old 05-27-2024, 09:37 AM

7,345 posts, read 4,701,294 times
For the past two years my car insurance has been going up every 6 months with Geigo. However, no one else that is reputable is cheaper because I keep checking. The state you live in matters and the price of car parts and labor are also causing the increases.

Old 05-28-2024, 03:46 PM

14,474 posts, read 14,432,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I was almost over being pissed off about the 30% homeowner increase (Nebraska), because my roof was one of a whole lot replaced due to hail storms last fall. But I'm not quite ready to 'get over' the 40% auto increase. $195.40 a month for one vehicle ('23 Crosstrek), retired folk with credit scores nearing the 'can't get any better' level, no moving violations in 25 years or so, and one minor ($3k) claim with a different company 6 years ago.

Tomorrow I start shopping the outfits my independent agent can't/won't write.
I cannot speak for how high their rates may be. I encourage people to at least look at companies like The Hartford, American Family, Erie, AMICA, Auto-Owner's, Travelers, and Kemper. USAA is only available to someone who is/has been in the service or a family member, but is worth considering as well. My observation is these companies are a cut above insurers like GEICO and Progressive.

BTW, if all these companies quote you extremely high insurance premiums maybe its time to consider the fact that the high premiums are simply what the market demands these days. There is no constitutional right to cheap car insurance or cheap home owner's insurance. I'm currently looking at an 18% increase to renew my car insurance.

Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

10,642 posts, read 12,212,342 times
Quote:
Why are you talking? You don't have Geico so what the hell do you know? Seriously. Getting raised $200 for no reason in under a year is ridiculous. Plus they've apparently been charging me for mechanical breakdown insurance my car is no longer even qualified for. I never tried to use it so I didn't know but now that I am questioning every damn thing I find out they charged for coverage they never intended to provide. They are out of control. NYS insurance department doesn't allow 50% car insurance premium increases for no reason. They have to apply to raise prices.

They gave you a reason. You don't accept that explanation.

Not the same thing.

Did they hide that "mechanical breakdown coverage? Was it not on the declaration pages?
If not, don't blame them for something you didn't notice, when the information was there for you to see.

Hey, I'm upset (most of us here might be a little -- quite a bit unhappy) about huge increases in insurance premiums. But your rant -- which is your right, of course -- just seems a bit misplaced. IMO.

Old Today, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,814 posts, read 81,772,341 times
We have had State Farm since 1974, and get discounts for multiple vehicles (3) multiple lines (also life and home). Our rates have also gone way up and that hurts, but it's easily understandable. Just watch the local news and see what's going on with crime especially car prowls, thefts, gas and CAT theft, the cost of parts and labor for auto body work, the cost writing off crashed EVs that no one can repair. All of those additional costs have to be made up so they have sufficient revenue to cover claims and still remain profitable enough to stay in business. Looks at California where companies are no longer writing policies because the risk is too high. Insurance is a form of gambling, State Farm, Geico and the rest are betting that you will not crash or have your car vandalized or stolen. The odds are based on actual data for your area. The more claims the more they have to charge.

Old Today, 08:16 AM

131,234 posts, read 12,278,920 times
Shop around, very easy to get quotes online & you can see exactly what you are getting. Don't tick the box for tow service if you don't want it, We have Geico & the premiums are stable.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

10,947 posts, read 4,683,665 times
Quote:
Had Geico for 50 years but I am done. Raised my insurance twice claiming they are raising everyone based on "claims" in the area and their customer service also stinks now. They keep trying to force me to do things online although I never gave them permission they still send things through email. I am finished with them. Now they tried charging me a $10 fee for installment payments because I refused to pay the increase until I talked to them since my 6 month premium was already paid in full but talking to them made no difference.

Looking for a new insurance company. Anybody have any recommendations?
over 90% of the people you meet will not qualify, but try erie. they keep it low by being VERY picky on who they take and they use all sorts of data including credit score and job history to assess risk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance