Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 12:07 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,220,159 times

Advertisements

Had Geico for 50 years but I am done. Raised my insurance twice claiming they are raising everyone based on "claims" in the area and their customer service also stinks now. They keep trying to force me to do things online although I never gave them permission they still send things through email. I am finished with them. Now they tried charging me a $10 fee for installment payments because I refused to pay the increase until I talked to them since my 6 month premium was already paid in full but talking to them made no difference.

Looking for a new insurance company. Anybody have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 01:00 PM

23,532 posts, read 19,277,762 times
Had Geico for 50 years but I am done. Raised my insurance twice claiming they are raising everyone based on "claims" in the area

Well, a lot has changed for the industry over that 50 years. If you take a few minutes to read through this forum, you'll see thread after thread about how much insurance costs across the board. How well one insurer or policy might suit a person's needs often changes over that amount of time too. Usual advice is to shop around and compare the same level of coverage you want with different insurers periodically. Looks like you've never done that.

Insurance rates have gone up for pretty much everyone everywhere because the cost of paying claims has gone up everywhere. A rising tide floats all boats. Cars cost more to repair if they even are repairable. There are simply more cars on the roads which means more accidents to pay claims for. How much yours went up compared to anyone else's would be based on multiple factors...how risky you happen to be to insure (how and what you drive, where you drive and how much), the type of coverage you have, the cost of doing business in your area, and what regional hazards creates losses: storms, floods, wildfires, theft, stupidity, whatever. You didn't bother to mention that so how could anyone here comment?

and their customer service also stinks now. They keep trying to force me to do things online although I never gave them permission they still send things through email.

So, you resent the company's attempt to be more efficient, pay fewer people, and keep operating costs lower (which translates into lower cost for you)? Snail mail is less and less reliable and costs more in time, handling, and paper. As for email, I suppose if you insist on making it harder for a company to keep in contact with you that's your business. Consider that any customer can use a web portal to take care of routine actions themselves 24/7 (pay premiums, check the terms in their policy, research their account/payment history, initiate updates or changes to their account, check the status of claims, post a message or question, etc.) but you refuse to try that? Why? Of course you didn't mention what specific actions those are so once again, how can anyone comment? If you insist on paper and expecting a human to handle some routine action personally, that's going to cost the company more and they're going to pass that increased cost of business on to you.

I am finished with them. Now they tried charging me a $10 fee for installment payments because I refused to pay the increase until I talked to them since my 6 month premium was already paid in full but talking to them made no difference.

You do realize that setting up and managing installment payments costs the company more than paying the entire premium at once, right? I am not saying they shouldn't offer the option to pay by installment. For many folks that's the only affordable option because they can't come up with an entire 6 months/1 year premium all at once. I am saying that selecting the installment option is more expensive for the company. So, they're passing that increased cost of doing business with you on to you in the form of a fee.

Unless they specifically stated that that $10 fee was retroactive, it wouldn't apply to the premium you've already paid. That's over and done with. Water under the bridge. The new installment fee would be charged on your future or upcoming 6 month policy. Of course, you have the option not to renew your policy and find insurance somewhere else or cough up the $10 fee. Chances are you'll run into the same problem with another insurer...if you must pay by installment, you'll pay a fee for it. IIRC, every insurance policy I've chosen to pay by month to month installment charged me a fee. Maybe not $10, but something.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-18-2024 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-18-2024, 01:09 PM

568 posts, read 305,714 times
Geico is not out of control, whatever that means nowadays ( it used to mean "out of control" but these days it gets thrown around a lot and obviously now means something else ).

They may be out of your control, which is probably a good thing.

So their costs go up and their prices go up. That is all part of capitalism ( supply and demand ) ( competition and profit ), which has made this such a great country.

Recommendations? USAA, if you qualify. I have been with them over 50 years, have filed claims occasionally, have never been disappointed in the way they have treated me or handled claims. Always ( for me ) reasonable premiums. Plus I get their annual and senior bonuses ( partial refunds of premiums ).

I also have experience with State Farm and Farm Bureau, and while they may work for some/many folks, I cannot recommend them.

Old 05-18-2024, 01:37 PM

14,292 posts, read 14,864,664 times
I use an Independent Agent to shop the best rates.

Old 05-18-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I use an Independent Agent to shop the best rates.
That is a good idea. Don't know who those other two are but they have way too much time on their hands. Probably Geico customer service reps who have no clue what they are talking about. Meanwhile got quotes from Progressive and Farmers - way lower then Geico. Will find an insurance broker and let them do a little foot work for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Geico is not out of control, whatever that means nowadays ( it used to mean "out of control" but these days it gets thrown around a lot and obviously now means something else ).

They may be out of your control, which is probably a good thing.

So their costs go up and their prices go up. That is all part of capitalism ( supply and demand ) ( competition and profit ), which has made this such a great country.

Recommendations? USAA, if you qualify. I have been with them over 50 years, have filed claims occasionally, have never been disappointed in the way they have treated me or handled claims. Always ( for me ) reasonable premiums. Plus I get their annual and senior bonuses ( partial refunds of premiums ).

I also have experience with State Farm and Farm Bureau, and while they may work for some/many folks, I cannot recommend them.
Why are you talking? You don't have Geico so what the hell do you know? Seriously. Getting raised $200 for no reason in under a year is ridiculous. Plus they've apparently been charging me for mechanical breakdown insurance my car is no longer even qualified for. I never tried to use it so I didn't know but now that I am questioning every damn thing I find out they charged for coverage they never intended to provide. They are out of control. NYS insurance department doesn't allow 50% car insurance premium increases for no reason. They have to apply to raise prices.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Had Geico for 50 years but I am done. Raised my insurance twice claiming they are raising everyone based on "claims" in the area

Well, a lot has changed for the industry over that 50 years. If you take a few minutes to read through this forum, you'll see thread after thread about how much insurance costs across the board. How well one insurer or policy might suit a person's needs often changes over that amount of time too. Usual advice is to shop around and compare the same level of coverage you want with different insurers periodically. Looks like you've never done that.

Insurance rates have gone up for pretty much everyone everywhere because the cost of paying claims has gone up everywhere. A rising tide floats all boats. Cars cost more to repair if they even are repairable. There are simply more cars on the roads which means more accidents to pay claims for. How much yours went up compared to anyone else's would be based on multiple factors...how risky you happen to be to insure (how and what you drive, where you drive and how much), the type of coverage you have, the cost of doing business in your area, and what regional hazards creates losses: storms, floods, wildfires, theft, stupidity, whatever. You didn't bother to mention that so how could anyone here comment?

and their customer service also stinks now. They keep trying to force me to do things online although I never gave them permission they still send things through email.

So, you resent the company's attempt to be more efficient, pay fewer people, and keep operating costs lower (which translates into lower cost for you)? Snail mail is less and less reliable and costs more in time, handling, and paper. As for email, I suppose if you insist on making it harder for a company to keep in contact with you that's your business. Consider that any customer can use a web portal to take care of routine actions themselves 24/7 (pay premiums, check the terms in their policy, research their account/payment history, initiate updates or changes to their account, check the status of claims, post a message or question, etc.) but you refuse to try that? Why? Of course you didn't mention what specific actions those are so once again, how can anyone comment? If you insist on paper and expecting a human to handle some routine action personally, that's going to cost the company more and they're going to pass that increased cost of business on to you.

I am finished with them. Now they tried charging me a $10 fee for installment payments because I refused to pay the increase until I talked to them since my 6 month premium was already paid in full but talking to them made no difference.

You do realize that setting up and managing installment payments costs the company more than paying the entire premium at once, right? I am not saying they shouldn't offer the option to pay by installment. For many folks that's the only affordable option because they can't come up with an entire 6 months/1 year premium all at once. I am saying that selecting the installment option is more expensive for the company. So, they're passing that increased cost of doing business with you on to you in the form of a fee.

Unless they specifically stated that that $10 fee was retroactive, it wouldn't apply to the premium you've already paid. That's over and done with. Water under the bridge. The new installment fee would be charged on your future or upcoming 6 month policy. Of course, you have the option not to renew your policy and find insurance somewhere else or cough up the $10 fee. Chances are you'll run into the same problem with another insurer...if you must pay by installment, you'll pay a fee for it. IIRC, every insurance policy I've chosen to pay by month to month installment charged me a fee. Maybe not $10, but something.
Sweetie I have a life so I can't really read all this dribble - I don't give a s*t about their problems. I only care about finding more reasonable car insurance. Geico had never paid a claim out for ME and yet they saw fit to raise me a ridiculous amount. Screw them. They don't care about consumer loyalty - let them go bankrupt. They are close to the brink anyway according to the complaints I see about them in reddit.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:36 PM

23,532 posts, read 19,277,762 times
You posted a rant on a public forum. You don't get to dictate replies it gets.

Based on your snark meter reading today, someone is in desperate need of:

a) a nap
b) a cookie
c) a beer
d) a CD time out
e) all of the above

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-18-2024 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-18-2024, 03:52 PM

1,373 posts, read 701,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Had Geico for 50 years but I am done. Raised my insurance twice claiming they are raising everyone based on "claims" in the area and their customer service also stinks now. They keep trying to force me to do things online although I never gave them permission they still send things through email. I am finished with them. Now they tried charging me a $10 fee for installment payments because I refused to pay the increase until I talked to them since my 6 month premium was already paid in full but talking to them made no difference.

Looking for a new insurance company. Anybody have any recommendations?
I don't know your location but here in PA I would recommend Erie..for me at least, very good rates and service and (bonus) everything by US Mail!

Old 05-18-2024, 04:11 PM

10,325 posts, read 15,195,492 times
What is it with US Mail?

I use Geico and everything is done via their iPhone app. Even the insurance card, I simply take a printscreen in the app and put it in a folder. No need to have anything on paper. In a few months they send an email letting me know a new insurance card is available, I take another printscreen and that too goes in the folder.

Now if the same could be done with registration…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance