Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2024, 03:37 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,227,334 times

Advertisements

SO nerdwallet so those 4 auto companies to be the cheapest in NY but does anyone have any experience being insured by them as far as customer service, claims, etc? Thanks.

NYCM, Progressive, Preferred Mutual, Travelers - experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2024, 04:07 PM

22,759 posts, read 37,045,023 times
From an adjuster's perspective

NYCM was always ok to deal with.

Progressive is about what you'd expect.

Travelers is ok.

Preferred Mutual never heard of or dealt with them.

Old 06-03-2024, 12:59 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,227,334 times
Thank you!

Old 06-10-2024, 01:01 PM

10,645 posts, read 12,245,888 times
I've been with Travelers for over 20 years.

I've read that it's not known for being among the cheaper companies. But its customer service has always been polite and been OK with me. I only have a 6 month policy, and most renewals the premium has gone up...BUT there have been years (several years ago now, and then again during COVID) -- when the premium did NOT go up...so that was good.)

BUT - the only "claims" I've ever filed have been a couple of windshield nicks ..... and one time when I was rear-ended while stopped at a light, and they totaled the paid off 10-year-old car. I tried to fight them totaling it but they said if I kept the car I'd never be able to get collision on it again and have a salvage title on it...so while I was very disappointed with the company decision then.....it was what it was so I took its offer and kept it moving.

I stay out of loyalty -- whatever that means these days. Supposedly it does get me a long-time customer discount.

So while I say the company has been good for me....I haven't really needed to ask it for much.

I did look to change about 7 years back...and it would have only saved about 50.00 a month amongst all three policies I have with it. And I didn't think it was worth it to change three policies, bank setups, automated payments etc....and give up a longtime customer discount. I stayed with what I knew. Not worth jumping to an unknown (for me).

When I retire, next year -- I WILL look again to possibly leave perhaps for either AMICA or ERIE. But we'll see.....

Old Today, 08:59 AM

7,006 posts, read 4,017,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
SO nerdwallet so those 4 auto companies to be the cheapest in NY but does anyone have any experience being insured by them as far as customer service, claims, etc? Thanks.

NYCM, Progressive, Preferred Mutual, Travelers - experience?

I've been with Traveler's for umpteen years.

Only claim I've had to file with them was last year when some idjit smashed my rear window. Because I have comprehensive as well as collision, I have full coverage for glass and don't have to pay anything. Safelite even filed the claim on my behalf.

I have both my auto and renter's insurance through them. When my broker years ago suggested I could get a cheaper auto insurance rate, I was with Progressive (auto only, didn't have the renter's then). Travelers turned out to be HALF the cost for the exact same policy. Right now I pay $105/month for full coverage for a 2020 Jeep Renegade. $22/month for my renter's.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

7,006 posts, read 4,017,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've been with Travelers for over 20 years.

I've read that it's not known for being among the cheaper companies.

My premium just went down starting this month. I went from $107 to $105 for my auto.

Also, when my broker suggested years back that they could look and see if they could find something cheaper for me, I was with Progressive. Travelers turned out to be half the cost for the exact same coverage. Later on, I added renter's insurance, which dropped the price even more. I also keep up to date with the AAA courses every 3 years. I'm due for my next one next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance