Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 03:01 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,844,012 times

Advertisements

Last week we were the victim of road rage. We were in a long left turn lane at a busy intersection at rush hour. My husband had elected to let a vehicle pull in ahead of us from the center lane of traffic causing us and several people behind us to miss the light (not something I would have done) and the man in the car behind us laid on his horn and was audibly screaming at us and flipping us off for the delay. Ugh.

At the next green light we commence the left turn and the vehicle behind us passes us on the left in the opposite direction lane of travel at a high rate of speed to cut us off. I only realized what was happening as the blur of his car passes us (improbably) on the left. There was a vehicle in the perpendicular traffic left turn lane and the vehicle passing us misjudged the gap and had to course correct flattening out his turn to avoid a head on with that car and we impacted his passenger side rear quarter panel with our front right driver side fender.

We stopped but the passing driver accelerated and drove away. My husband elected to pursue the vehicle/driver that caused the accident and that car ran at least one red light light to evade us. He finally pulled over when he got stuck behind very slow moving traffic about a mile away from the scene.

I came up to the car and the man reluctantly rolled down his window and started screaming at me when I said that we'd need to exchange information and to file an accident report yelling, "F-off. Shut up. I'm calling the cops." Not good. I then called the police myself to report the accident as a hit-run and gave the correct location of the accident. Because we were near jurisdictional boundaries the wrong police department responded initially based on the other driver's call. Short story long the driver gave 2 or 3 different accounts and accident locations to the police, all ridiculous and was acting like an ass toward both PD department's officers. Unfortunately for us, the Go-Pro camera is in our other (primary) vehicle (this was my car) and no witnesses have come forward.

So it's been a week, as far as I can understand there has been no police report issued. Our insurance company did a recorded phone interview with my husband but declined to speak with me or anyone else that may have been in the vehicle. Given the state of the other driver's car, this is not his first rodeo with traffic dust ups and the man has a criminal record but we can't get this fixed because Liar McRoad Rage refuses to take any responsibility for his actions and our car sits in our driveway awaiting repairs a week later without adjustment, though we called our insurance after hours number right away and our agent the next morning to start the ball rolling. Any idea what we need to do next? Do we camp out at the police station of jurisdiction? I ask because we are going to need that car in 6 weeks and this thing drags on. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:08 AM

13,295 posts, read 8,514,534 times
The police are required during any traffic incident to complete the paperwork and hand any vehichle drivers involved with a copy. I find it highly suspect that such was not turned over at the location of the call.
Even so the Department itself has to have a record of the dispatch. Start from there if need be. The time and location - and if you can recall the officers name/badge.

The insurance company is also required to get statements from any passenger /witness's. This is to cover the liability portion.

When last I had an incident I took photos at the scene and did not leave without getting all the information of the other driver and the police report. I can tell you based on my state process- Whoever is listed as vehicle #1 is by the officers judgement the innocent party. Found that out when I was in court. Good thing I had a lawyer who asked straight to the officer- Were you a witness to the activity in question? Where was your body stationed when this happened?

Old Today, 04:35 AM

We have the other driver's information, insurance company ect. I also took photographs on my cell phone at the time. That was done at the stop (not scene) of the accident by the police. The information gathering was competed and is on a form that we were given a copy of titled "Accident Information Summary". We are Vehicle #1. What is not done apparently is the police accident report and it seems our insurance company is investigating without a police accident report that is complete and assigns blame. That seems to be where we are stuck.

Old Today, 03:46 PM

Updating to add: Our insurance company found us 100% faultless this afternoon and released the estimate so we can begin repairs. It's been a long time since we were involved in any accident and the claims process has changed quite a bit since then. So frustrating. This is a newer model car and tho we intend to drive it till we can't pump anymore life into it (it's our way of owning practically everything) I really hate that it was the one of our two vehicles that got hit. Our primary car has 285K miles on it, still looks pretty good but it has way less value, plus it has the Go-Pro and there would have been no question as to what happened. My car will have a camera installed as soon as it's out of the shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance