Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 AM

194 posts, read 246,334 times

Advertisements

Didn't want to put it in the title, but, I heard that these professions have to help with toileting, especially COTA's have to wipe butts. Is this true? I've been considering doing one of these for a while, but I don't know if I'm willing to if I have to deal with that. But if they do, I'd like to hear about how you handle these situations or if a nurse can take over if someone has an accident or has to use the restroom. I might be able to deal with it, but I really don't know yet. I've read some pretty bad things on forums, one person even said COTA is a downright dirty profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Hopefully you'll get some people with those specialities along to comment. A lot of the people that are regulars in this forum are family caregivers, and as such, toileting (hygeine in general) help is normal for us.

I do know that when my mother was in rehab for a period of time, they did (at our insistence) have an occupational therapist working with her for ability to transfer to / from the commode. As that was very difficult for her, I would like to think that was coupled with actually giving my mother the opportunity to use the commode - but as I was not there for the sessions can't comment.

I would assume that like most other things in a healthcare setting - it might not be a "normal" part of the job, but when an emergency occurs -- anyone able to help is expected to pitch in.

best of luck to you in your chosen profession...

Old 12-10-2015, 12:52 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
If a therapist is treating a person, and that patient needs to void/use the toilet, why on earth wouldn't the therapist help? It's a good functional self care activity that most patients desire to be independent.

In my decades of being a therapist, I have not met one therapist who wouldn't assist a patient. Not a PTA/COTA an OTR/RPT or OTD/DPT. Not one ever.

Do the task with dignity and empathy.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:13 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
OT's teach patients ADL - activities of daily living - again, according to a particular impairment person has. Their job is to show, train, develop new habits to improve patient quality of life and independence level. They are not required to do what is discussed though some of the training may be very personal.
CNA, certified nurse assistant is doing most of the dirty job. Nurses do same. My wife went through all this when she started as CNA and all the way to RN- registered nurse. She's a charge nurse and still does those jobs when help is not always available.
I think, for OT and PT it is a matter of personal choice, to help or not.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:15 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
You get to wear a latex glove though.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:28 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
Didn't want to put it in the title, but, I heard that these professions have to help with toileting, especially COTA's have to wipe butts. Is this true? I've been considering doing one of these for a while, but I don't know if I'm willing to if I have to deal with that. But if they do, I'd like to hear about how you handle these situations or if a nurse can take over if someone has an accident or has to use the restroom. I might be able to deal with it, but I really don't know yet. I've read some pretty bad things on forums, one person even said COTA is a downright dirty profession.
Yes, you absolutely have to if you are in a setting that requires it such as geriatrics. I am an OTR who works in skilled nursing facilities, and yes, I wipe butts on a daily basis. As a COTA, toileting independently is something almost all your patients will have as a goal, how can you work on toileting if it's not you who ever takes them to the bathroom?
PTA's will not have toileting as a goal, however in the reality of nursing homes, say you have to see a patient for 75 minutes. 15 minutes after getting them down, they announce they need the bathroom. If you take that person back to the room, go find their aide and wait, you might get that person back 45 minutes later.

In the meantime, your whole schedule will be a mess because you have 11 other patients you have to treat. You can't wait 45 minutes, so 99.9% of the time we just take them. We make it part of therapy, walking them in there, etc, but if they can't wipe themselves you can't just go find a CNA just to wipe someone for you . Especially as a COTA, you would be responsible for working on strategies to teach her to wipe her butt, because independence in daily living tasks is the goal of OT.

I don't have a problem with it though. If you are squeamish health care is not for you, because there are lots of gross things you will have to see and do, including teaching people how to manage colostomy bags when they go home. If a PTA, you see with wounds some of which are inches deep and you can see the bone inside it. I would hardly call it a dirty job though, I think CNA is much worse and that's for little money, at least COTAs and PTAs get paid decently.

You can get a job in outpatient but they do not use assistants nearly as much as skilled nursing facilities do.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 12-10-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

In my decades of being a therapist, I have not met one therapist who wouldn't assist a patient. Not a PTA/COTA an OTR/RPT or OTD/DPT. Not one ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, you absolutely have to if you are in a setting that requires it such as geriatrics. I am an OTR who works in skilled nursing facilities, and yes, I wipe butts on a daily basis. As a COTA, toileting independently is something almost all your patients will have as a goal, how can you work on toileting if it's not you who ever takes them to the bathroom?
These alone basically makes me decide to not be a PTA or a COTA. I was considering doing it for the salary for only requiring an associate degree. But I don't think I can deal with lifting, being close to wounds/bone and poop..... I don't blame anyone who judges me as a bad person >_<

Old 12-10-2015, 04:26 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times
you will be exposed to lots of germs & bacteria daily, even if you wear gloves and a mask, you can still get Norovirus because of the environment you work in

it's a dirty job, not recommended if you think you cant handle doing that kind of stuff a lot

dont do it.

Most people that do that type of job are big strong people, because you have to be strong to do lots of lifting

Last edited by green papaya; 12-10-2015 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
you will be exposed to lots of germs & bacteria daily, even if you wear gloves and a mask, you can still get Norovirus because of the environment you work in

it's a dirty job, not recommended if you think you cant handle doing that kind of stuff a lot

dont do it.

Most people that do that type of job are big strong people, because you have to be strong to do lots of lifting
Yup yup, message received >.< My auto-immune diseased body probably wouldn't be able to deal with the lifting, even if gross stuff wasn't involved.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:16 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
These alone basically makes me decide to not be a PTA or a COTA. I was considering doing it for the salary for only requiring an associate degree. But I don't think I can deal with lifting, being close to wounds/bone and poop..... I don't blame anyone who judges me as a bad person >_<
You're not a bad person, I think it's good to recognize what you want and don't want. While I love my job and don't mind the messy stuff, I could never be a nurse because I would puke having to put a catheter in someone or suction a trach. Everything isn't for everyone.

While it is true about lifting, it is not at all true that most therapists are big and strong. Most are women, a lot tiny Filipino women at that. Lifting heavy weight in therapy is not about brawn, it's about physics, and the proper form. We also often work together and have more than one therapist lift a person. Most CNA's are female too, and many are over 60 but can still lift patients. It is hard work though. I actually think bending to work with people in bed and to range them and move them around in bed is harder than straight standing them, because you can't achieve the same angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving