Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 969 times

Advertisements

My dad was recently placed in a nursing home for the on set of dementia. The nursing home is calling every day because my dad wants to go home. The doctor says he needs 24 hour care which I cannot provide but they are saying that they can get me for neglect when I am not a legal guardian to him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Sorry - your description is a little hard to follow.

You don't have to be someone's guardian in order to be found guilty of neglect. Say someone took in their disabled nephew, but weren't his legal guardian.. and authorities found the young man (over age 18) in horrible physical condition and found that the owner of the home knew that the young man needed assistance, but they failed to take actions to provide it, or get the young man help. That could *potentially* lead to a charge of neglect.

If he is now in a nursing home, and you do not have the ability to care for him at home, then he probably needs to stay in the nursing home. Even if it is heartbreaking that he wants to come home. If he has money that could pay for round the clock aides, then perhaps you could consider taking him out of the nursing home .. but that can be very expensive and would have to be paid for somehow.

I am very sorry that your father and you are in such a situation. Dementia is a very sad disease. I wish you both the best.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Who placed your dad in the nursing home? Who coordinated that care? How is it being paid for? Does your dad have a legal guardian? Do you have POA for your dad? Where is your dad's home he wants to return to? What sort of support does he have available there?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-09-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 11:42 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
From what you describe, the nursing home may be coming after you. Under a doctor's recommendation, you had your father institutionalized.

Adult Children Could Be on Hook for Parents' Nursing Home Bills | ElderLawAnswers

Best thing would be to go back to the nursing home and talk to the social worker to get more clarity on your responsibilities if you don't understand the forms you signed to get your dad admitted. It may be that you needed to get him into the Medicaid system before committing to a facility.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:59 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellard View Post
My dad was recently placed in a nursing home for the on set of dementia. The nursing home is calling every day because my dad wants to go home. The doctor says he needs 24 hour care which I cannot provide but they are saying that they can get me for neglect when I am not a legal guardian to him
Find a different home. Maybe they are not equipped to handle his case. He might need one that deals with Alzheimer's.

And who is "they" that is telling you this?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellard View Post
The nursing home is threatening you with neglect? Are they trying to discharge him?

Call his Doctor...tell his staff what the nursing home is threatening you with. Tell them you are not able to properly care for him at home. And you are confused, ask to have the local Ombudsman call you. Ombudsman look out for seniors in facilities. Explain you can't care for him at home, and that you're confused as to what you are supposed to do to get him the appropriate care.

You need to talk to someone, like the social worker at the nursing home, or the ombudsman...sounds like he needs to be discharged to a facility that can provide the appropriate care. If medicare is paying, there are deadlines and red tape that facilities have to jump thru in order to get him the care he needs. You are likely the decision maker by default.

They are likely needing your signature to be able to transfer him. How long have you been avoiding their calls, or avoiding dealing with this? It will be ok if you talk to them...it can be extremely confusing. I think someone is dropping the ball in failing to set you down and explain what happens to you. Instead they are scaring you..call that ombudsman.

here is a national link...you can look up the ombudsman for your area tell them what's going on. They will get you all on the same page, and get your Dad the care he needs.
http://theconsumervoice.org/get_help

good luck to you.

Last edited by JanND; 03-09-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
From what you describe, the nursing home may be coming after you. Under a doctor's recommendation, you had your father institutionalized.

Adult Children Could Be on Hook for Parents' Nursing Home Bills | ElderLawAnswers

Best thing would be to go back to the nursing home and talk to the social worker to get more clarity on your responsibilities if you don't understand the forms you signed to get your dad admitted. It may be that you needed to get him into the Medicaid system before committing to a facility.
The good news is not every state goes after the kids to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving