U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:21 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,689,110 times

Advertisements

So many have run to the cancer issue, my bet is hemms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:00 PM

13,724 posts, read 16,825,880 times
No, don't force her. It's her decision. My dad's doctor wanted him to have a colonoscopy and he said "I've never looked up there, and I don't want anyone else looking up there either." He was in his late 70s and still my dad and capable of making his own decisions. No colonoscopy.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Status: "The goal of the Party is POWER! (Orwell - "1984")" (set 6 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 8,820,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm 66, and when I got Medicare last year, my Dr. urged me to get one, and when I heard of the preparation it takes to get one, I decided I'd rather die than undergo something like that!

I'll never understand it, this high tech world we live in, we must be subjected to a test which seems so archaic/primitive to me.

I'll wait 'til a more high-tech test comes along!

The "prep" Is a lot less invasive than it once was, and some of us can remember a time when procto-sigmoidoscopes didn't bend. And further advances are in the works.

I required no sedation at all during my last colonoscopy, and drove myself home; it just seems a lot easier if you don't let your hang-ups and preconceptions get to you.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 PM

20,310 posts, read 23,895,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you serious?

The prep was an inconvenience for me, not some sort of nightmare worse than death. And I didn't even feel the actual test itself. You're exaggerating all this in your head for some reason. It's simply not that bad.
Am I serious? D-e-a-d serious!!!

I was told no fluids after midnite, and I have dry mouth like you wouldn't believe! Due to the meds I'm taking!

I'll continue to wait until a more high-tech test comes out! It should be due anytime now!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 PM

9,305 posts, read 5,549,185 times
Quote:

I was told no fluids after midnite, and I have dry mouth like you wouldn't believe! Due to the meds I'm taking!
You can swirl all the water you like inside your mouth to keep it moist, as long as you don't swallow any of it. It's possible you might also be able to temporarily stop the problem medications for a day or so. Talk to your doctor before assuming this issue is an insurmountable problem.

Quote:
I'll continue to wait until a more high-tech test comes out! It should be due anytime now!
Even if an alternative screening test replaces colonoscopy, if the screening test yields a positive result a colonoscopy will probably be necessary to precisely locate exactly where the tumor is in the colon so it can be surgically removed.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,590,246 times
I haven't read through the whole thread yet but have you all seen on TV the new test you can get ,, I am not sure if it is over the counter or online but you do it at home send it to a lab and it can find CANCER DNA !
I have to have one every three years after my gall bladder ruptured and I have Crohns and IBS on top of it all but my husband is scared and wont say so and his family is RIDDLED with it . His mom died from it and I am going to use this test for him , I am 53 he is 51 .. So it does check for more than blood , it actually can find cancer DNA I just heard about this . I think it was cologuard but not sure. You have to have an Rx for that .

Old 06-07-2016, 10:13 PM

9,305 posts, read 5,549,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread yet but have you all seen on TV the new test you can get ,, I am not sure if it is over the counter or online but you do it at home send it to a lab and it can find CANCER DNA
The test you are referring to is called Cologuard. It was FDA approved in 2014 as a screening test for colon cancer in asymptomatic low-risk individuals age 50 or older who have no personal or family history of colon cancer. If the test is positive, a colonoscopy is required to confirm the presence of cancer or precancerous polyps.

This is a decent overview of the various colonoscopy n cancer screening options available today: Colon Cancer Screening: What Are the Options?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Status: "We're all broken, that's how the light gets in." (set 27 days ago)

56,097 posts, read 44,457,337 times
Quote:

I was able to drink water.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:13 AM

19,142 posts, read 20,380,798 times
I am shocked when I read some of these posts. People who would actually choose months of agonizing pain or death rather than a few hours of inconvenience by sticking close to a bathroom or a few hours of "dry month" or to be "out" during a brief procedure that you do not remember and does not cause any pain.

Of course, it is everyone's choice to decide their own heath but think about your family. Because my husband decided not to get a colonoscopy when his doctor suggested and his cancer would have been easy remove polyps, it effected far more than just him. I was so distracted & missed so much work due to his emergency surgery & several additional emergency stays in the hospital that I almost lost my job. I then was forced to take a mostly unpaid leave of absence for several months. And, my husband also missed months of work, also mostly unpaid, which severely impacted our finances for a very, very long time. When both of us were not getting paid those bills just kept on coming. In fact, there were even more bills due to medical co-pays, extra medications, extra driving to doctors appointments, etc.

Our daughter wanted to drop out of college to stay home to care for her dad and had to be persuaded not to do that. Our son also asked if he should leave graduate school to move home but I asked him not to do that. However, that meant that I was put in the role of being my husband's sole caregiver which was quite difficult at times.

It is very likely that complications during his recovery, including when he passed out & fell down an entire flight of stairs hastened his brain damage & dementia. Later he became permanently disabled due to brain damage.

But, he did not actually die because of his decision to postpone his colonoscopy, which to me was the blessing.

Now, you may or may not develop colon cancer but make sure that you have plenty of family members ready, willing and able to help you if you do. And, you are prepared to face all of the possible consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Having to help my husband through his successful fight with colon cancer I would say that his surgery, six months of chemotherapy, months off of work and over a full year of recovery time after the surgery was probably worse than one day of prep & having a colonoscopy. That is not even mentioning him having to use a colostomy bag for nine months.

Plus my husband was near death at several points before his emergency surgery and during his recovery period. Of course, without the emergency surgery he would have been actually, permanently dead instead of just near death.

My husband really, really, really regretting his decision not to have colonoscopy when the doctor asked him to have one.

But, I understand that it is your choice if you feel the prep is AWFUL.

BTW, my husband said that wearing a colostomy bag can be pretty "awful" at times too but it beat being dead.

Back to the thread. Your mother should make her own decision but she needs all of the facts to proceed with an informed decision.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-08-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 AM

2,684 posts, read 3,747,631 times
No, you shouldn't force her.

That's a decision she should make with her doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving