U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 PM

30,654 posts, read 33,009,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's really not up to us, is it. Some people will have complications from the test.

The real point to this thread is her independence, isn't it? Does she get to decide what she does with her body or not? There is always a what if, in every situation. She doesn't want it, the question is should she force it or not. You think she should in case she has cancer, I say her independence is more important than the what if's. She's going to have to go with her gut on this one. She's gotten various opinions.

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-elderly/?_r=0
While people at 50 should get one, people 70 and over shouldn't get them unless there is clearly a reason. Read this article, it explains why in detail. There are more risks and fewer benefits. Our medical system loves to test but that's largely because we have a for-profit system. Doesn't always mean it's in our best interest to do them all.
The lady in the OP has reasons for the colonoscopy: bleeding and constipation, which can be signs of cancer. Her gut is trying to tell her she has a problem. It may not be serious, but it could be, and she needs to be aware of that before she declines the procedure.

"For profit" has nothing to do with it. Screening colonoscopy (not the diagnostic procedure this lady has had recommended) has been shown to save lives and is cost-effective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 PM

14,628 posts, read 19,175,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's really not up to us, is it. Some people will have complications from the test.

The real point to this thread is her independence, isn't it? Does she get to decide what she does with her body or not? There is always a what if, in every situation. She doesn't want it, the question is should she force it or not. You think she should in case she has cancer, I say her independence is more important than the what if's. She's going to have to go with her gut on this one. She's gotten various opinions.

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-elderly/?_r=0
While people at 50 should get one, people 70 and over shouldn't get them unless there is clearly a reason. Read this article, it explains why in detail. There are more risks and fewer benefits. Our medical system loves to test but that's largely because we have a for-profit system. Doesn't always mean it's in our best interest to do them all.
Everyone of sound mind should have the right to decide for him or herself. After getting competent medical advice. And no doctor I know - especially my GI doc (and also my primary care doc) - would ever tell a person in her 70's who has symptoms of serious problems - a person who has NEVER had a screening colonoscopy - that she shouldn't get one because she's too old.

I think - at best - that the article you linked stands for the proposition that people at normal risk should get screened when they are 50 - 60 - 70 - and then stop if they have no issues/problems. And that they should never wait until 80 for their first screening. Doesn't have anything to do with people who have neglected the recommended screenings when they were younger and suddenly develop symptoms that could be the sign of serious disease.

Like I have said - in this case - I would consult with a GI doc and get his/her input. Robyn

Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 AM

8,129 posts, read 4,481,125 times
"Like I have said - in this case - I would consult with a GI doc and get his/her input. "
Robyn

Who is "I"? Mommy or Daughter? If Mommy doesn't want to "consult with GI doc", it is the end of the story. Why is DAUGHTER involved at all? It is not her decision to make. She should not be consulting with her Mother's Doctor, period. Of course, unless she wants to have Mom declared Legally Incompetent to force this procedure on her.

Do you "medical professionals" advocate that in order to save a life? Do you want to break up families for this? My Cousins tried to do that to force life saving surgery on my Uncle who was only 69. He did not want it. Before the ruling could come down Uncle was dead, but not before he saw an Attorney and cut his children, except the daughter who was against it, out of his Will. BTW, my Mom (his only Sibling) never spoke to her Nephews again, and neither have I.

Ah, yes, your PARENT will live longer, and never speak to you again. Poppysead, I am older than you are and agree with you 100%. Mom and Dad need to make their wishes known about medical treatments long before they reach their 70's. After what happened to her Brother, my Mom spelled it out, with an Attorney, what she herself wanted concerning her medical treatments.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM

759 posts, read 484,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My Grandmother and FIL died of colon cancer. Neither one of them ever had a colonoscopy.
My stepmother was diagnosed in April 2012... died January 2013.

63 years old. Never had a colonoscopy.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
"Like I have said - in this case - I would consult with a GI doc and get his/her input. "
Robyn

Who is "I"? Mommy or Daughter? If Mommy doesn't want to "consult with GI doc", it is the end of the story. Why is DAUGHTER involved at all? It is not her decision to make. She should not be consulting with her Mother's Doctor, period. Of course, unless she wants to have Mom declared Legally Incompetent to force this procedure on her.

Do you "medical professionals" advocate that in order to save a life? Do you want to break up families for this? My Cousins tried to do that to force life saving surgery on my Uncle who was only 69. He did not want it. Before the ruling could come down Uncle was dead, but not before he saw an Attorney and cut his children, except the daughter who was against it, out of his Will. BTW, my Mom (his only Sibling) never spoke to her Nephews again, and neither have I.

Ah, yes, your PARENT will live longer, and never speak to you again. Poppysead, I am older than you are and agree with you 100%. Mom and Dad need to make their wishes known about medical treatments long before they reach their 70's. After what happened to her Brother, my Mom spelled it out, with an Attorney, what she herself wanted concerning her medical treatments.
The OP said at the beginning of this thread:

The problem is my mother's mental and physical health has declined late last year...

I am not sure exactly what that means. I do get the sense that the OP and his/her mother aren't at odds with one another at this point - and that the OP is looking for the right thing to recommend to his/her mother. I think they are trying to work together - and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. In fact - it sounds very right to me.

Note that there are other explanations for blood in one's stool. Like hemorrhoids. But a hemorrhoid examination isn't any more pleasant than a colonoscopy (I've had both exams - and do in fact have hemorrhoids and colon polyps). So why not kill all the possible birds with one stone at one time?

Also - I'm not a medical professional. I'm a retired lawyer with a mother who died from colon cancer. When she should not have died from colon cancer. I'm also a senior who might be dead from colon cancer myself had I not had lots of pre-cancerous polyps removed from my colon over the years during my regular colonoscopies.

And I'm not sure where people get off comparing colonoscopies with various often much more complicated surgeries. It is a very simple procedure - with an extremely low rate of complications today (especially given the zippy state of the fiberoptic exploration instruments). A 77 year woman with even minor health and mental issues probably has a much greater chance of serious injury driving a car than having a colonoscopy. Robyn

Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
My stepmother was diagnosed in April 2012... died January 2013.

63 years old. Never had a colonoscopy.
This recent sad story too:

President Elizabeth Garrett dies of colon cancer at age 52 | Cornell Chronicle

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving