Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:46 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times

Advertisements

Have you had one recently? The prep has gotten much less difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 09:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I have had 2 the first was that salt tasting yuck stuff. I did drink it all but one glass of it.

I had polyps so had to go again one year later. This was a dream since it was the miralax prep bad but nothing compared to the other stuff. I had on polyp so get to go in 5 years again.

The drug just put me to sleep and then it was over.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
About 18 months ago. I just can't drink enough to offset the fluid loss. This time, the staff "opened up" the IV to rapidly rehydrate me before the procedure. I am also underweight. I guess it doesn't take much for me to lose too much volume.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:15 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
If her only objection is to the prep for it (which, frankly, is pretty gag-inducing), discuss alternatives to the traditional prep of drinking those gawd-awful solutions. Ask if your mother is an candidate for Osmoprep, which is simply a series of pills taken with clear liquids such as Gatorade, clear soup, etc. If she has no adverse history of contra-indications, she may find that to be far easier.

Other than that -- her body, her choice . . . (where have I heard that before? :-/ )

Old 06-05-2016, 12:38 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
I can't imagine an elderly person doing the bathroom run the night before.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:57 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This is how I feel also. My stepfather died from complications of a colonoscopy when his bowel was punctured. Plus there have been many warnings about people getting infections from the equipment they use which is impossible to sterilize and is used over and over again.

I'm 61, have never had one and never will. It's just another money maker for the doctors. Older people seem to get constipated a lot which would account for the slight blood in the stool. If there is no history of colon cancer in your family then leave her alone to make her own decision.
Amen.

Not to mention everybody has cancer in their body. Procedures such as colonoscopies wake up those cancers. So many medical procedures are causing the cancers that require so much more procedural baloney. It's a never-ending scam. At least this nonsense is keeping the American economy alive and kicking!

Old 06-05-2016, 01:09 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
you can't force someone to get a colonoscopy
or any medical care of any kind

and it is not respectful to do so
patient's rights include declining any medical care, treatment, procedure

Old 06-05-2016, 03:34 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Amen.

Not to mention everybody has cancer in their body. Procedures such as colonoscopies wake up those cancers. So many medical procedures are causing the cancers that require so much more procedural baloney. It's a never-ending scam. At least this nonsense is keeping the American economy alive and kicking!
Hogwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you can't force someone to get a colonoscopy
or any medical care of any kind

and it is not respectful to do so
patient's rights include declining any medical care, treatment, procedure
The choice to decline care should be made with full knowledge of the benefits and risks, including, in this case, what can happen if the opportunity to prevent a cancer is lost.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:47 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I can't imagine an elderly person doing the bathroom run the night before.
What do you consider "ELDERLY"? I had my most recent scope in March of this year. I'm 80. And I managed the bathroom run just fine, TYVM. When the directions are followed, most of the time the "bathroom run" is over by eight or nine PM. I've had six scopes and they follow this pattern.

There are people who perpetrate horror stories based only on what they've "heard" (and this thread is a perfect example) that it's no wonder so many are dying of one of the most preventable cancers.

I will tell you that regardless of the position you take now, you only think you know how you will react when the doctor tells you "this is suspicious, let's take a closer look."

Old 06-05-2016, 05:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My brother had very frequent colonoscopies because he has ulcerative colitis. The docs found his cancer when he was in his early 50's. Permanent colostomy, etc.

Because of my brother's history, my GI recommends I have a colonoscopy every 5 years. LOL Unless he can arrange for me to have IV fluids at home while prepping, it ain't gonna happen. The prep leaves me so severely dehydrated I can hardly walk. The older I get, the worse it gets.
You have a family history of colon cancer. If you kept up with your brother's treatment, you know that it is a horrible disease.

You can drink all the clear fluids you like or need during the prep - but in your case, and the OP's mother's case - it's your choice, and your risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving