Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I mentioned above that I've never done the test BUT I feel strongly about the OPC (grape seed extract) I take now going on 21 yrs. So so many do not have this info.

http://naturalsociety.com/grape-seed...rectal-cancer/

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/255182.php

Of course, there are no guarantees to anything we do or don't do.

My daughter who is now 52 and has had many colonoscopies due to stomach issues, long story, and she wants no more of these tests. She's taking grape seed ex some yrs now and her children too already, both teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:45 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
If you don't want someone to force YOU to do something like that, sure as shootin' another person is NOT going to like you forcing them.

If she is of sound mind, let her live her life - the way SHE wants to live it.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Sad truth as a retired nurse is that colon cancer is one of the MOST survivable if caught and treated in time, but there lies the issues. Some people have NO desire to suffer thru the "treatment" process.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Sad truth as a retired nurse is that colon cancer is one of the MOST survivable if caught and treated in time, but there lies the issues. Some people have NO desire to suffer thru the "treatment" process.
Quality of Life versus Quantity of Life Issue. Not one size fits all.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:34 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quality of life for someone dying of untreated colon cancer is going to be absolutely magnificent, I am sure!

Chemotherapy versus death from cancer – Respectful Insolence

Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
My first one I did drinking the stuff was the worse. The day I had it I was out like a light.

My next one not as bad since they had an easier prep to take. I also knew I would be sound asleep when I had it. Guess it was fear of not knowing what would happen. Also I am a big wimp but did it-

Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP, Just reading your post again and see your mother is 77, my age and you mention a mental decline. Many are ending up with dementia and I know a lot of pretty sharp older people. If it were my mother and I wanted to help her, I would get her on some memory supplements. I have some friends who take supps for memory issues and find they help them. I've been working on my health alternatively for over 25 yrs and know grape seed extract helps with the anti aging issue.

You made the comment that these tests after 75 are pretty useless...I don't think I knew that but maybe I did. All the older people I know over 75 do not get these tests.

Anytime we go to an allopathic MD, they hit us with a list of tests we SHOULD get...ummm

Even my integrative MD pushed a little for tests and she has stopped.

There are many who work on prevention and more who don't in our country.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Quality of Life versus Quantity of Life Issue. Not one size fits all.

Absolutely. And my quality of life for the past seven years since my surgery/chemo has been great. I have enjoyed babysitting grandchildren, and attending their dance recitals, and listening to their school lessons and getting excited with them when they learn a new dance step or master a dive into the pool. Slipping them a dollar when they get a good report card. Spending a week every Summer at the beach. Walking a mile and a half every day (when the weather's good - I'm a wimp in the cold) Taking care of my own home and yard. Shopping for my own food and cooking it. Keeping my own appointments and tracking my own medications. Reading. Corresponding with my high school bestie. (Yes, we're still alive!) Enjoying my sons and their wives and watching them build lives for their families. Grands graduating from high school; two grands graduated from college; two more attending colleges - prestigious ones at that.

Does this sound like a life that one would wish to give up? Prudent management and paying attention to one's own body signals can catch the strange little signs that weren't there before. Wait too long before deciding that all is not well in there can make it impossible to treat the offender before it gets out of hand. And THAT is what ruins the Quality of Life issue.

I count myself lucky that the Quality and the Quantity thus far have been favorable. Made possible by the magic of "tests".

Refusing tests is the right of all of us. I make no apology for opting to undergo a test that might make it easier for me to decide what I want to do with the results.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:37 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times
I would not force her. The colonoscopy prep is a nightmare. It is worse than the procedure itself. Not only is she an adult she has not be declared incompetent. If there is no history and she never had any problems... I would let it go. My mother is 89 in August, never had one. Like someone else said- if there was a problem, what would you do about it? Make her have surgery- a possible colostomy? Chemo, radiation? Sometimes it's the quality of life that's important.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:40 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I would not force her. The colonoscopy prep is a nightmare. It is worse than the procedure itself. Not only is she an adult she has not be declared incompetent. If there is no history and she never had any problems... I would let it go. My mother is 89 in August, never had one. Like someone else said- if there was a problem, what would you do about it? Make her have surgery- a possible colostomy? Chemo, radiation? Sometimes it's the quality of life that's important.
She does have problems: rectal bleeding and constipation.

Apparently you did not read this:

Chemotherapy versus death from cancer – Respectful Insolence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving