Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 11:11 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times

Advertisements

I would be pretty worried about using a space heater in the bathroom. Maybe change your exhaust fan to an LFH (light-fan-heater) unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 11:19 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
I agree that they are cool, but I have some concerns about the resale value of the house if I put one in. I'm going to put in a walk-in shower, large enough to fit in a shower chair, instead. I won't be able to soak but that arrangement is cheaper and solves other problems.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:01 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
I have something like this...a shower with a built-in seat with water jets behind your back. I have a back injury and I love this. They come in different configurations for the seat, hand-held sprayer, etc. I think it's the next best thing to a tub.

Stamina II Alcove shower - MAAX Collection

Old 06-10-2017, 01:18 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
We bought a condo once that had a walk-in tub. Not my favorite. Here's why:

You have to get in and sit while the tub fills.

You have to wait to get out until the tub empties.

The door does open outward, not inward, so that is not a problem, but sitting around all that time just to get a bath seemed counter-productive to me. Taking a shower was awkward. At first there was no shower rod or shower attachment, but we had one installed. The shower sprayed all over the back side of the tub and the controls, and the soap, so we had to get a complete circle shower rod to counteract that. All in all, an able-bodied person has to put up with a lot with one of these. For someone who cannot climb in and out they would be fine (with the above caveats).

There is a company that modifies regular tubs into a walk-in. They cut out a door-sized portion of the side and put a door in. This would be easier to step over for an able-bodied person. Of course you have to be able to sit down in the tub (and get up and out again) so everyone would not be able to do that. This company also can modify the side of the tub by cutting it out and not putting a door in, and it turns the tub into a shower only, a walk-in. There is a slight ledge to step over, so that your tub drainage will still work as originally designed.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:59 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We bought a condo once that had a walk-in tub. Not my favorite. Here's why:

You have to get in and sit while the tub fills.

You have to wait to get out until the tub empties.

The door does open outward, not inward, so that is not a problem, but sitting around all that time just to get a bath seemed counter-productive to me. Taking a shower was awkward. At first there was no shower rod or shower attachment, but we had one installed. The shower sprayed all over the back side of the tub and the controls, and the soap, so we had to get a complete circle shower rod to counteract that. All in all, an able-bodied person has to put up with a lot with one of these. For someone who cannot climb in and out they would be fine (with the above caveats).

There is a company that modifies regular tubs into a walk-in. They cut out a door-sized portion of the side and put a door in. This would be easier to step over for an able-bodied person. Of course you have to be able to sit down in the tub (and get up and out again) so everyone would not be able to do that. This company also can modify the side of the tub by cutting it out and not putting a door in, and it turns the tub into a shower only, a walk-in. There is a slight ledge to step over, so that your tub drainage will still work as originally designed.
I've thought about getting a quote for the tub cut-out that turns it into a walk-in shower (basically) rather than remodel my whole bathroom for a complete walk-in shower. The only caveat I have would be their ability to match the cover for the cut-out hole to the rest of the tub, which is a weird shade of blue. It wouldn't be seen unless the shower curtain was all the way open though (best space for the cut-out is toward the back end of the tub), so I guess I could accept it if it was a white cover on a blue tub. I don't need the cut-out yet, but it is something to consider for the future.

On the topic at hand, I have seen more walk-in tubs advertised on Craigslist than any other kind, because people got tired of dealing with the hassles of water draining while they wait, plus if the tub is in a house you buy and you have kids, it's just not a practical tub to have for their use.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I/m wondering about those walk-in tubs you see advertised on TV? I'm interested because its hard for me to get in/out of a tub. I usually just shower, but a bath would be nice!

Does anyone have one? Do you like it? My big questions is, how long does it take to drain? Do you have to sit there while it drains before you can open the door? A person could get chilled like that!
When some guy comes on my TV and says that the heated seat is a six hundred dollar value for free, you know that they are going to put your wallet in the wine press.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
We converted our tiled shower into a steam shower. You can have just the steam on, the shower or both. Ours has a teak shower bench. You will not get cold sitting there, not with the steam on. Very easy to use and comforting on aching joints. The steam also helps relieve sinus congestion.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:56 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
I volunteered at an assisted living home. Some had these tubs. One thing they loved was the heated towel rack. They'd buzz when they were ready to drain the tub,and a kind volunteer would drape a warm toasty towel over them. They enjoyed that,and it was only about two-three minutes til it drained proper. We were careful to keep the slips and falls from happening. They were given slip resistant footwear for getting out.
Just some ideas...
I think a good soak to soothe the achey body does wonders!

Old 06-10-2017, 11:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I would be pretty worried about using a space heater in the bathroom. Maybe change your exhaust fan to an LFH (light-fan-heater) unit.
Why?

Old 06-11-2017, 12:18 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Traditional Japanese tubs are sitting tubs, but without the door. Made of wood. The one thing I'd miss about that type of tub is being able to stretch out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving