Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 12:39 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

I worked in a hospital where a patient with a DNR was accidentally coded & she DID survive.

She was left severely brain damaged & on a ventilator. The hospital was ordered to maintain her care free of charge. She lived like that for another four years until finally dying from pneumonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 03:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The Default in my State is to CPR. No matter what the patients "directives" may contain.

Seems futile then to set up directives despite the Hospital itself having in its packet the 5 wishes form.

I'm currently assisting my elder uncle as he recovers from a stroke. He filled out his 5 wish form. When we presented it to the Rehab center the default response was: We have our own in house Doctor. He will "decide" what orders to write for your uncles care. The House Doctors' orders were in direct opposition to what my uncle stated in his wish form.

I advocate for dignity, respect and elder care regards. But what do I know about laws....not much apparently. Who knew a Doctor welds all the power... Which explains why if I need to meet my maker I have instructed my family to NOT send me to any hospital....
That is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
if a loved one fails at home, the general wisdom is to wait a good hour before making any emergency calls, thus mitigating the chances for a "miraculous" recovery.
What in the world?

Old 01-11-2020, 08:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The Default in my State is to CPR. No matter what the patients "directives" may contain.

Seems futile then to set up directives despite the Hospital itself having in its packet the 5 wishes form.

I'm currently assisting my elder uncle as he recovers from a stroke. He filled out his 5 wish form. When we presented it to the Rehab center the default response was: We have our own in house Doctor. He will "decide" what orders to write for your uncles care. The House Doctors' orders were in direct opposition to what my uncle stated in his wish form.

I advocate for dignity, respect and elder care regards. But what do I know about laws....not much apparently. Who knew a Doctor welds all the power... Which explains why if I need to meet my maker I have instructed my family to NOT send me to any hospital....
What state do you live in? What is your source of info about the “default” no matter what a directive states?

I think what usually happens is EMTs or ER people don’t have access to a directive.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
if a loved one fails at home, the general wisdom is to wait a good hour before making any emergency calls, thus mitigating the chances for a "miraculous" recovery.
That's a tough decision to make even if you're a medical professional. If the patient is terminally ill and in hospice care, that's easy- that's what I had with DH. If it's someone frail and elderly who's apparently suffered a stroke- I don't know. PT can restore a lot of function and immediate care can alleviate the effects of the stroke. I'd be more concerned that delaying the emergency call would mean they'd live but be in much worse condition than if they'd gotten immediate attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving