Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 11:07 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
One way to resolve this...….Dad, the car was stolen over night....Police say it was taken to Mexico. It's gone.

Establish a Taxi charge account with a local company. Dad or Mum calls for a pick up, and signs for the trip at the destination. Account to be invoiced to the family member who pays the bill on their behalf, monthly.
Oh hell no on the cab bill. Lol. Now Uber, okie dokie.

In my dads case, he just wants to get out of the house away from mom.
But I digress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 12:16 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,418,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh hell no on the cab bill. Lol. Now Uber, okie dokie.

In my dads case, he just wants to get out of the house away from mom.
But I digress...
Get an electric trike that will let him ride for several hours a day between charges.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Get an electric trike that will let him ride for several hours a day between charges.
We’ve given serious thought to a golf cart!!

Old 02-28-2020, 12:57 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
This thread reminds me of the movie "The Straight Story" about a man who lost his drivers license and chronicles the trip made by 73-year-old Alvin Straight from Laurens, Iowa, to Mt. Zion, Wis., in 1994 while riding a lawn mower. The man undertook his strange journey to mend his relationship with his ill, estranged, 75-year-old brother Lyle. Very heartwarming movie. I think it's on Amazon prime.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:04 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
FIL, 87 y/o, IMO dangerous on the road, drives over curbs as if it's nothing, cuts people off all the time, scraped the side of the car backing out of garage, thought nothing of it, every corner damaged. Wife won't let him go out fearing he'll get lost. Got pulled over three times this month doing 80+ in a 55 zone, mentions a family members name who is a LEO, and is let go without a ticket. I keep calling DMV, phone rings till it automatically hangs up. Does anyone have suggestions ?.....can DMV intervene ?.
take his keys away and his license and park his car where he can not find it.
Go to his doctor and get the medical form filled out, doctors are required by law to fill it in and submit to the DMV.

I work in health care and family members come to us with the form for the doctor to fill out. The doctor office submits it directly. The patients do not like this, however it is a matter of safety for both the patient and others on the road.

So go through the doctor, not DMV

here is an article
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495589/

Old 02-28-2020, 06:11 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
also, the family will be named in the lawsuits and legal action resulting from injury and bodily harm which inevitably will one day happen. One of the doctors at the medical center where i work is going through this. His elderly father was driving his elderly mother and was responsible for a car accident in which she was killed, and which resulted in severe injury to those in the other vehicle, they are suing the elderly father and his estate. So the doctor is dealing with his father causing the death of his mother, his father an emotional wreck for killing his wife, and is embroiled in a nasty law suit where the other family is going after the estate of the father and also family members including the son (the doctor i know), who they claim should have stopped him from driving.

big old mess.
hide the keys and move the car and take away the driver's license remove it from his wallet.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
also, the family will be named in the lawsuits and legal action resulting from injury and bodily harm which inevitably will one day happen. One of the doctors at the medical center where i work is going through this. His elderly father was driving his elderly mother and was responsible for a car accident in which she was killed, and which resulted in severe injury to those in the other vehicle, they are suing the elderly father and his estate. So the doctor is dealing with his father causing the death of his mother, his father an emotional wreck for killing his wife, and is embroiled in a nasty law suit where the other family is going after the estate of the father and also family members including the son (the doctor i know), who they claim should have stopped him from driving.

big old mess.
hide the keys and move the car and take away the driver's license remove it from his wallet.
Wow, what a tragic mess for a family.

I just want to mention that one’s DL is also an ID. If the DL is indeed removed, the man needs a State issued non driver ID.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:31 AM

1,371 posts, read 667,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
We’ve given serious thought to a golf cart!!
My husband's mother was hit by a golf cart driver who had no business driving. She ended up with a broken hip, then suffered a blood clot due to that, which caused her death.

If someone had no business driving a car, they have no business driving a golf cart either.

If a formal report is made to the doctor, I would think they have a legal obligation to determine if the person is capable or at the least notify the DMV so the person can be called in to test their abilities. Send a letter to the doctor certified/return receipt.

I would also send a letter to the DMV cert/RR.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
My husband's mother was hit by a golf cart driver who had no business driving. She ended up with a broken hip, then suffered a blood clot due to that, which caused her death.

If someone had no business driving a car, they have no business driving a golf cart either.

If a formal report is made to the doctor, I would think they have a legal obligation to determine if the person is capable or at the least notify the DMV so the person can be called in to test their abilities. Send a letter to the doctor certified/return receipt.

I would also send a letter to the DMV cert/RR.
They live in a golf cart community. KIDS without licenses drive golf carts. They even do in my own neighborhood. Someone can run you down on a bicycle for that matter. Sorry about your mother in law, that was unfortunate.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:04 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

big old mess.
Wow - that is a mess.

I suppose prison is one type of passive plan for long term care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving