Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 01:46 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Because he isn't mobile, can't run away, can't race through the house peeing everywhere, can't knock anyone down, can't do any of the things that made him so difficult to care for before. This will mostly be moving him from the bed to the wheelchair and vice versa (hospice will provide the lift, wheelchair and hospital bed), changing his diapers, replacing his formula when it's empty, giving meds through his port.
Thank you for seeing the benefit of having him at home. Less expense . Less communal Jeopardy of different staff interacting ...thus more apt to transfer viral/bacteria. Yes I think you are thinking this thru. Most though are probably looking at it from the level of home care and added stress. Never mind that if a family member is locked in a residency home....you have to travel (risk). You have to worry about abuse. And you have to surrender that the adminstration can change rules that affect the care and access.

I'd prefer the proverbial cinder block be at home vs worrying about the communal transference of this virus at the nursing home. Quarantine at home....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Because he isn't mobile, can't run away, can't race through the house peeing everywhere, can't knock anyone down, can't do any of the things that made him so difficult to care for before. This will mostly be moving him from the bed to the wheelchair and vice versa (hospice will provide the lift, wheelchair and hospital bed), changing his diapers, replacing his formula when it's empty, giving meds through his port.
Go back and reread what you just wrote.

But I do get why you would want to be with him in his last days.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:57 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,358,753 times
Effective yesterday, my county does not allow visitors (including family) to nursing homes. My brother is in a nursing home. His health is fragile as are the other individuals on his floor. If he catches a cold or flu or other similar virus, he will most likely die.

They restricted visitors a few months ago when one patient caught the flu. During that time they discontinued group activities, etc. The flu did not spread.

I support this ban just like I supported the ban a few months ago. It's in the patients best interest.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...ng-facilities/

Old 03-12-2020, 05:14 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,165 times
Legit care facilities generally have pandemic protocols in place as a matter of general procedures. It sounds like your mom is going to be under voluntarily quarantine for a couple of weeks — if she’s out and about in the community bringing home stuff etc. he will still be at risk. It’s a tough situation. I wish you all the best.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:06 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
My mom’s ALF has no real precautions yet. Not even hand sanitizer stations by the elevators or anywhere else. If they do ban visiting I hope they will waive laundry fees because we can’t afford to pay (she’s there on Medicaid)

Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My mom’s ALF has no real precautions yet. Not even hand sanitizer stations by the elevators or anywhere else. If they do ban visiting I hope they will waive laundry fees because we can’t afford to pay (she’s there on Medicaid)
It is shocking that they do not precautions (or at least hand sanitizer available).

Please double check on the laundry fees. In my state, nursing home residents on Medicaid, do not have to pay to have their clothes, towels or linens washed. That is a service provided for free by the facility. It is covered by Medicaid. (Some families volunteer to do their loved ones laundry but they are not required to do it).

Old 03-12-2020, 08:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Perhaps you should ask about what their precautions are. If you are not satisfied, report them to the proper state agency. At the very least they should have information signs and sanitizer stations. No kidding, you should talk to management first. But if you aren’t satisfied, report them.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
My sister is in a rehab center, after 2 weeks in the hospital. She has cancer, and is probably terminal, as today they brought up hospice. But, she isn't ready to stop fighting yet. My other sister has been there for her every step of the way, and today was locked out of the rehab center. We could deal with that if we thought she was getting well cared for, but she isn't. The food is poor, and the care is at least as bad. It was far better the first time she was in this center.

We feel powerless to act as advocates without access. This is a Care One facility.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:24 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My sister is in a rehab center, after 2 weeks in the hospital. She has cancer, and is probably terminal, as today they brought up hospice. But, she isn't ready to stop fighting yet. My other sister has been there for her every step of the way, and today was locked out of the rehab center. We could deal with that if we thought she was getting well cared for, but she isn't. The food is poor, and the care is at least as bad. It was far better the first time she was in this center.

We feel powerless to act as advocates without access. This is a Care One facility.
How terribly stressing that must be..... To wish to be there in support.

Our one facility did the wise thing. All visitors were placed with scrubs gear ( face mask/gloves,gown/ hand sanitizer) so that the patient/resident wasn't without that support they so dearly enjoy on occassion.

They had a ONE DOOR access so that they visitor had to sign in, go thru the room that supplied the "in door Med scrub gear", then directly to the patients room. Unsure why that is so hard for a facility to accomodate. Its the same gear they would require a guest who had an infection that required in room care 24/7.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:39 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
He’s in hospice?? Is hospice going to provide 24/7 care in your home??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving