Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 03:44 PM

319 posts, read 360,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I'm sincerely sorry this lawyer is not setting into motion the parents detailed wishes. Send back a quick response of a 'unacceptable'. Put into direct motion the following. Then lay it out . Do not sign it or hand over any further fees til your parents documents are in line with the state guidelines and THEIR final wishes.
Be the advocate.
Yes that is exactly what I will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree. And his lack of interest in your situation could allow him to make errors. Find an attorney who specializes in this stuff.

But, IME, the POA form is basically boilerplate.

I found an attorney for my mom who specialized in elder affairs. She spent time with us, explaining things fully.

You need guidance from someone who knows state laws about all of the things you are concerned about. Be prepared with documents at the meeting.
Yes I agree, it is boilerplate, but I expected him to at least tailor it to my parents. Not just plug in the names and send it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
According to post # 5 the OP did just that.

As for being a "first draft"...well, you gotta start somewhere! Still, it does sound as if all the attorney did was dredge up some boilerplate state-compliant formats and send them back. Minimal effort. They want YOU to go through the effort of customizing them. I would be disappointed too. Are you paying this guy by the hour or some standard sum for each document? I'd be curious how many billable hours he's charged you for at this point. That might tell you how much effort he actually spent.
We are paying a standard fee. can't imagine paying by billable hours and just getting a plug in the names forms sent out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
When we did this, we went with someone personally recommended by several people from a caregiver support group. The lawyers practice is limited to Eldercare and Special Needs planing. It took at least 3 in-person sessions.
I'd guess he will want to meet with us again however I was just taken back when he sent this out for me to review. I didn't even know what to make of it. At least take out the parts that do not pertain.

That and sent out HC Proxys stating they want DNRs when he never even bothered to ask them.

My mother looked at me and asked, what is that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving