Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 03:39 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times

Advertisements

We got grocery delivery to his porch. Delivered on the 3rd day. The shopper was texting updates as she assembled the order and texted the departure and ETA. I could chose options for some of the substitutions. I received a text with a picture of the stuff on his porch. Was a Kroger store. I thought it went well. I called an hour or so later and he didn't know the stuff was there. He played up the difficulty he would have bringing the stuff in. I think, another ploy to get us to come over to help. Luckily a visitor knocked on his door so I assume somebody would have helped him.
He's got the number for some services. We don't want to go there and decrease his need to call them. He's still not found a way to get to the bank. He's got about 20% more income than I thought. He can pay for some effing services. He needs to be medically diagnosed. He should not be as weak as he is. It would be a 100 mile round trip to pick him up and take him to the doctor he sees. That's not gonna happen.

We've been trying to get groceries for ourselves. Our regular store can either assemble our order, placed & paid for online, and bring it out to the car or deliver. There are no pickup or delivery times available for either. They only schedule 2 days out. We'll keep trying. Until the virus news stops getting worse every day we are trying to increase our isolation. Last time out shopping it was gloves, a mask, self check out & hand sanitizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 12:03 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Sorry to hear of this plight. My 67 year old Older Sister is in a similar predicament, except her financial situation is far worse. Her friends have been enabling her denial to consider Assisted Living for years, now they are too tired/old to help.

Assisted Living for her is out of the question financially, unless there is a payment method I have not heard about.

My older sister was taken to the local hospital sometime in early Feb following a fall in her home. Her friends were sworn to secrecy to not tell me or my younger sister what had happened. They finally told me where my older sister was after I called the local Fire Dept to check if they had been summoned - again - to her home, and learned they had transported her to the hospital. Now she is in a Nursing Home for physical therapy to restore strength to her badly tweaked knee. The room telephones cannot call out, she has not purchased minutes for her Trac-phone so she cannot call out using that, the Nursing Home is locked down due to Covid-19 so no visiting, all my phone calls this week to my sister's room thru the Nursing Home Switchboard resulted in only extended unanswered ringing. A cousin contacted my younger sister via email after calling the house phone of my older sister, and a friend answered who was there to feed the cat. This friend told my cousin that my older sister is in the Hospital. Again!?! Is that why no phones are being answered? Why doesn't the switchboard inform me she has been moved, and where? When she was admitted to the Hospital five years or so ago she told the Triage Nurses that she had no family, so my younger sister and I were blocked when we tried to visit her in the ER. She has no spouse or children, and our parents are dead, so my younger sister and I are her only family.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 04-09-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-10-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Sorry to hear of this plight. My 67 year old Older Sister is in a similar predicament, except her financial situation is far worse. Her friends have been enabling her denial to consider Assisted Living for years, now they are too tired/old to help.

Assisted Living for her is out of the question financially, unless there is a payment method I have not heard about.

My older sister was taken to the local hospital sometime in early Feb following a fall in her home. Her friends were sworn to secrecy to not tell me or my younger sister what had happened. They finally told me where my older sister was after I called the local Fire Dept to check if they had been summoned - again - to her home, and learned they had transported her to the hospital. Now she is in a Nursing Home for physical therapy to restore strength to her badly tweaked knee. The room telephones cannot call out, she has not purchased minutes for her Trac-phone so she cannot call out using that, the Nursing Home is locked down due to Covid-19 so no visiting, all my phone calls this week to my sister's room thru the Nursing Home Switchboard resulted in only extended unanswered ringing. A cousin contacted my younger sister via email after calling the house phone of my older sister, and a friend answered who was there to feed the cat. This friend told my cousin that my older sister is in the Hospital. Again!?! Is that why no phones are being answered? Why doesn't the switchboard inform me she has been moved, and where? When she was admitted to the Hospital five years or so ago she told the Triage Nurses that she had no family, so my younger sister and I were blocked when we tried to visit her in the ER. She has no spouse or children, and our parents are dead, so my younger sister and I are her only family.
Sorry you have to deal with that.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:42 PM

After years of fooling around cashing pay checks at currency exchanges to recent inability to get his pension checks to the bank, he has signed up for direct deposit. A small victory.

My call to USPS to ask for hardship delivery to his door has not worked. No mail delivery to his door has happened.

He's got a unreliable friend who helps him sometimes and sometimes takes advantage of his generosity.

We are learning what works best for grocery pickup/delivery for ourselves.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:31 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
We are learning what works best for grocery pickup/delivery for ourselves.
We still do in-person shopping but know many our age who order with curbside pickup, and our youngest son does porch delivery. His wife is 8+ months pregnant so that is why they are not doing their own grocery shopping.

Lots of complaining by everyone regarding the time lag currently needed for assembling of their food order. Seems to be almost a week now.

My house-bound Sister lives in a rural area with none of those options. One of her friends works at a grocery store, so the friend does the shopping for my sister and delivers the food to my Sister's home.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:24 PM

840 posts, read 772,320 times
Quote:
My call to USPS to ask for hardship delivery to his door has not worked. No mail delivery to his door has happened.

The instructions on their site say
you have to write a letter, and also provide a letter from their doctor, to USPS:

Request for Doorstep Delivery in case of Medical Problem
- How to Get Mail Delivered to the Door?
https://www.uspsinfo.com/hardship-ma...step-delivery/

Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM

We tried several places, got a delivery from one that was not out preferred grocer. It's a good store but everything cost more.
We got a pickup order from Sams Club. Only one car ahead of us for the Sams pickup, but there was a long line of people waiting to enter the store. At Sams we opened the window and were handed a receipt. There was no added cost for curbside pickup. There are a few items we like better at Sams.

From Sams, we decide to drive by Meijer, where we usually buy most of our groceries. Lots of cars in the lot, like a normal Saturday, no line to enter, many people wearing masks. We identified where the pickup area was. This Meijer is in a dense shopping area.

After 3 weeks of trying we got a pickup at a Meijer that's 25 miles in the more rural direction. The shopper person asked us to just pull up in front of the store. She put the stuff in the trunk, We didn't even have to open the window. A no contact pickup. $5 pickup fee plus tip. Few people wearing masks this location. Fewer covid19 cases in this county, 127 vs 819 from one source.

We are near the middle of 3 Meijer locations, so we didn't have a 25 mile drive for our pickup, maybe 12.

I got nothin else to do. On the way to Sams we went to a county park and did a short walk down to the river. Think ditch. A little nature, but on a scale of 1 to 10 for scenic places, it's a 3.

Last edited by johnd393; 04-14-2020 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
The instructions on their site say
you have to write a letter, and also provide a letter from their doctor, to USPS:

Request for Doorstep Delivery in case of Medical Problem
- How to Get Mail Delivered to the Door?
https://www.uspsinfo.com/hardship-ma...step-delivery/
Well, yeah, but I called the local PO and they said they'd do it. Didn't cost me anything to try. Sometimes asking nice works.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:33 PM

I'm not giving names but I had a conversation with a local organization that can provides services to those who need help living at home. One could by generous to a helpful, or reluctant, friend for less, maybe far less, money then these services cost.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
It's the same people that never set the clocks on their VCRs. The clock display always flashing 12:00
It's the same people who are still using VCRs with their big heavy old TVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving