Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:24 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,469,124 times

Advertisements

Early morning visits. They clean the store overnight and restock the shelves. There isn't the customers milling around the store so that fewer airborne particles are hanging in the air. Open air will disperse particles. The worst place is checkout lines where people stand around and talk. Home improvement stores tend to have a lot of contractors early in the morning. First--hand observation is probably best. Check out the stores. I've gone late night to stores and have felt sick a couple of times. There were almost no people but the air was stagnant. The American chain stores are taking the restrictions more seriously than the Asian/Hispanic chains since the latter are more crowded with people checking out produce more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 11:34 AM

43,299 posts, read 43,957,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

Would you think it would be safe if I took her to Lowes one day, first thing in the morning when they open and before it got crowded, so that she could pick out some flowers to plant in her yard or would that be too risky?

I'm thinking if she just stays in the outdoor garden area and away from others, she would be ok especially if that area wasn't crowded first thing in the morning.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
I would check and see if Lowes has senior citizens hours (not all stores have this on a daily basis) as that might be a time to consider taking her.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:36 PM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
I think it all depends upon where some of you are. I am in one of the hardest hit areas, but I have gone to Lowe's safely wearing a mask and going when there aren't many shoppers (only in my early 60s). I didn't get close to anyone else, and I used the self-checkout. Some of you are living cautiously but are in areas that actually have not seen much of the virus. Of course, you want to keep it that way, but I would say assess the risks you have to take based on where you are and the virus activity in your area and make an informed decision.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
NO! My SIL who works at Home Depot says that they've had employees come down with it. The Angel of Death is at the checkout counter, walking the aisles, shopping in front of and behind you. Keep her out of stores, and you minimize your visits and time there, too.
Good grief!

Old 05-14-2020, 01:16 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,394,521 times
I'm not taking my 95-year-old mother anywhere except to visit my sister, who works from home and so is quarantined pretty much all the time. Luckily, we live in the country, where Mom has lots to see and do, without ever leaving the property or encountering other humans outside of us.

She's very healthy, but we just don't want to take the chance, especially when her kids are more immune compromised than is she.

Our stack of bandanas gets regular use, when one of us does have to go somewhere, and we follow up with a good personal cleaning when we return.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:11 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,117,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I also believe that the risk of catching the virus was a lot higher when the lockdown started. At the time no one wore masks, and the stores were packed with shoppers and employees with little procedures to social distance or sanitize. There were no set protocols yet. Now many stores have all of these procedures and the general public is educated with them. That's why I think it was more important to protect my elderly father at the start than now. He can get used to these protocols and start to go out on his own.
Yes, I feel more comfortable going to the stores with my mother than I was in the beginning of the lockdown. Store management has really put a lot of thought and effort into keeping their customers and employees safe, down to the little touches like wipes near the carts and I see security and employees even wiping down carts out front.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 PM

15,100 posts, read 27,541,944 times
I wasn't happy about it as my mother (83) in another state, living on her own, etc. - who I had been buying groceries for went to to the Kroger the other day (she said she wore a mask) - but I think she needed it for her mental health, you can only do what you can

Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 PM

6,682 posts, read 4,663,372 times
In my area the local nurseries are less busy than Lowe's, Home Depot. Some have closed the green house areas off, but there are plenty of less tender plants. Your area may be different. Drive by a few nurseries to see just how busy they look. The farmers markets have recently opened and there haven't been any crowds yet. You could also just take your Mom out for a drive. Go look at the landscaping in other neighborhoods. Drive around the countryside. Give her and yourself a change of scenery.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 PM

30,454 posts, read 17,870,000 times
Lord help me if my children think that they have the authority to "let" me go shopping in my old age when I otherwise have all of my senses together.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:28 AM

4,513 posts, read 2,487,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Lord help me if my children think that they have the authority to "let" me go shopping in my old age when I otherwise have all of my senses together.
Thats what I was thinking. We all take risks. If your parent is mentally capable of understanding those tisks, then accept that they are an adult and can make their own decisions. I'd hate to spend the last yrs, months, weeks or days, not living due to fear. Mitigate what risk you can, and go on living. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving