Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 07:26 PM

193 posts, read 356,628 times

Advertisements

We recently hired a home care service company who provided us with a full time caregiver for my elderly father.

The caregiver is highly skilled and passionate about her job, but she has an abrasive personality and is unpleasant to have around.

How can we tactfully make a switch?

If a new caregiver is not readily available, is the owner of the company legally bound to keep quiet about our feelings and intentions?

It would certainly be awkward if she was still here knowing how we feel about her while waiting for a replacement to be found.

I don't think she would leave quietly without getting in more than her two cents worth.

Last edited by witsendman; 05-11-2020 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witsendman View Post
We recently hired a home care service company who provided us with a full time caregiver for my elderly father.

The caregiver is highly skilled and passionate about her job, but she has an abrasive personality and is unpleasant to have around.

If a new caregiver is not readily available, is the owner of the company legally bound to keep quiet about our feelings and intentions?

It would certainly be awkward if she was still here knowing how we feel about her while waiting for a replacement to be found.

I don't think she would leave quietly without getting in more than her two cents worth.
Get rid of her. Call the office manger and tell them it isn't a good fit you need someone else. It isn't the first time they have heard this about this woman I am sure.

Is you dad living alone or with you? If he is alone you need to be even more careful. I mean if you find her unpleasant and abrasive, how is she when she is alone with the elderly patient.

Too bad about her, just make sure they do it quickly and make sure if there is any delay that someone is with your dad till the replacement arrives.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witsendman View Post

Just have my mom call them. Guarantee you she is more abrasive that the caregiver. LOL.

Seriously, my mom is a miserably unhappy cranky stubborn old lady that NO ONE can make happy. She has fired at least 3 caregivers. Guess who is stuck trying to replace them??

Call the company and discuss it with them. This happens ALL the time. They know how to handle it.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:31 PM

Although she is loud and abrasive, she is dedicated to her job. She noted that he was dehydrated and hallucinating, and told us to get him back to the hospital, which she did.

We decided to go with her company for the first week or two because they were more expensive, and we got good vibes from them over the phone. We thought he might get premium care in the beginning, but we would have had to sell my parents house in two years if we stayed with them. With the new company, they can stay in their house for almost four years before running out of money.

Now with my dad in the hospital at least for three days, it gave us time to contact their replacements so there won't be any gaps.

With the cost for a single year being more than many people have saved up, I suppose nursing homes are more common than full time home care.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:15 AM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
Loud and abrasive is annoying but one question might be....does your father like her? Loud can sometimes be because of dealing with older people that have hearing issues. Abrasive is more the issue. Mean abrasive or ?

Old 05-18-2020, 04:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
My mother has always been well-loved and highly talked about by everybody. Then we hired full-time care givers for her, and she became impossible. I know in my heart it's because she resented being dependent on a stranger, but it still! She would complain about her caregiver, I'd drive up to see things for myself, and it didn't take long to realize the problem was my mother.

Now, I understand there are personality clashes, racial biases, and other things involved in finding the perfect match. But it isn't always the care-givers fault, and sometimes the one needing the care can't even recognize their part in the problem. A good agency can, and will send out as many as necessary to ease the process.

I would not give a negative review of any of the 4 we had, they all worked hard and made sure my mother was taken care of. It wasn't their fault my mother was unhappy.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My mother has always been well-loved and highly talked about by everybody. .
You are very lucky!

Old 05-21-2020, 05:04 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Loud and abrasive is annoying but one question might be....does your father like her? Loud can sometimes be because of dealing with older people that have hearing issues. Abrasive is more the issue. Mean abrasive or ?
This is important.
YOU might find her "loud and abrasive" but maybe your Dad finds her "straight forward" and "doesn't treat him like a child."

Old 05-28-2020, 12:13 AM

Well my father was in the hospital for eight more days, and returned to four caregivers who are all quite pleasant overall.

My father has dementia, so is unable to evaluate the caregiver, but we feel all four are above average and no one is abrasive.

My mom and I are distraught because his dementia had not deteriorated noticeably for five years, and on February 11, just three and a half months ago, he was getting up with very little assistance and walking with a walker.

After a two week recovery from pneumonia, his doctor sent him to a physical therapy rehab facility. We got him out after 73 days because an employee tested positive for the virus. We mistakenly thought he was doing well there, and he sounded well, although he was quarantined so we could not visit him.

They said he could come home with 24 hour care. We were very troubled to get him home on May 8 to discover he was dead weight and could not walk, and the mean caregiver said it was not safe to lift his head. He laid on his back for four days until he went back to the hospital for eight more days for dehydration.

He came home May 22, just five nights ago in poor shape physically and mentally. he is sometimes alert and can speak, but he now has a temporary feeding tube, and does not even remember my mom. The rehab center gave him an appetite stimulant and said he was eating well. Now since he stopped eating without an appetite stimulant, the doctor gave him a temporary feeding tube.

How can he have declined so much in less than three months after being stable for five years? How do you go into a rehab unit able to walk, and come out 73 days later as dead weight, especially when the physical therapist says he is making progress.

Without us able to visit him daily and check up on his care, we suspect that the hospital , and especially the rehab center gave him poor care.

Now I hope we can at least get him out of bed and into a wheel chair soon.

I am not sure the caregivers will feel comfortable with the transport?

Do I need his doctors permission for us to even try to get him out of bed?

Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 PM

If he was able to walk after the pneumonia recovery, why did he go into rehab? Something fishy there.

If he is at home, he should have come home with instructions. Read them. There should also be home-health care, with a nurse. They should be able to make those calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving