Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:10 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times

Advertisements

Go on vacation by yourself or rent a studio apartment for yourself.

Why aren't your feelings and needs being taken into account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 03:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post
Update: it's been 4 weeks now. She sleeps in our bedroom. Basically, has taken it over. During daytime, she watches her favorite shows from noon to nighttime in our living room. Basically, she has taken over every aspect of our 1 bedroom apartment. She's undergoing chemo too.
I've moved out to my parents and visit 2 days out of the week to help with the cleaning and hospital trips.

She plans to do all her chemo treatments at the same place. This has put an immense strain on our relationship.

MIL has never once asked me how I feel about this setup. And I feel like she gives my husband the okay to proceed with this scenario. I used to feel bad for her but now I resent her.
Good job for keeping yourself "safe and healthy".

Wow, I can't imagine how much of a strain this is on your relationship with your husband. Unless your FIL is elderly, disabled and/or ill himself (and/or her own house would be unsafe for her), IMHO, it really is being a jerk to force his son to care for his wife. And, what about the SIL? I helped my husband through his Stage III cancer & chemotherapy. Both of our children were in college at the time. While they came home to visit I couldn't imagine putting the major responsibility of caring for their father on them when I was his wife.

You said that your MIL was "terminal" in your first post. Have you found out if this is really true? If so, do you think that your MIL plans to live on your apartment forever (until her death)? I am living proof that Stage IV cancer is not always a death sentence (I'm three years cancer free and my oncologists are very optimistic that will continue).

-------------------------------

(Disclaimer: At the time that I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, I was the full time caregiver of my husband, who was disabled with dementia and a traumatic brain injury. Our adult son stepped up, as well as my brother, niece and many other friends and relatives, to help me through chemotherapy and surgery. My husband willingly went into a dementia facility (even though he would much rather continued living at home with me), because he knew that I was too sick to care for him 24/7 and care for myself. So, I understand that there are situations where an adult child needs to step up instead of their spouse with cancer.)

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-07-2021 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving