Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:51 AM

731 posts, read 755,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Why isn't she staying at her own house? Why isn't her husband (or their daughter or their son) her caregiver?

Cancer treatments can vary dramatically.
My cancer was "tentatively" diagnosed the first week of January and officially diagnosed in late February. I immediately started chemotherapy and finished chemo in July and as pretty much "back to normal" fall of that year.

My late husband's cancer was diagnosed on a Tuesday and he had surgery the next day. He was on chemotherapy for at least six months and then needed more surgeries. He started his cancer journey the first week of May and was "back to normal" about twelve months later.

And, some people are even able to work full time (or almost fulltime) while having chemotherapy.

I can not imagine that many people living in a one bedroom apartment. Another thing to consider is that you probably only have one bathroom. It is not unusual for people having chemotherapy to have gastric complications, such a vomiting, diarrhea and constipation. Without being too graphic there were multiple times that I needed to be in the bathroom an hour or two (a couple of times even longer). That could be quite a problem if five people are sharing just one bathroom.

Good luck.
Great post! To add to this, doctors tell their chemo patients to NOT share a bathroom with anyone while on chemo. Listen to the doctor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 09:20 AM

23,783 posts, read 33,224,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Great post! To add to this, doctors tell their chemo patients to NOT share a bathroom with anyone while on chemo. Listen to the doctor!
Bathroom and bed too.

The OP needs to wrap their mattress in a water proof mattress pad because if she sweats, it's going to put the chemo into the mattress. My hub ruined our mattress due to it. Even when my hub showered, I could smell the chemo in the shower drain.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:45 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,711,527 times
If you have access to the money, move it all into your own account. ALL OF IT! This may be your last chance.

Tell your husband to tell his father to go rent a one bedroom apartment near the treatment center, if commuting to the treatment center is not possible, for them to live in during the treatment. Do NOT let your husband pay for it. This is one of the many reasons why, if you have access to the money, move it all beforehand into your own account. You can deal with any legal ramifications afterwards.

If FIL won't rent a place for his own family, then go rent yourself a place, and move out. Make sure to take the best car, and EVERY key to it, and everything of value that you want/need, including countertop applicances, linens, towels, dishes, etc. How DARE your husband do this to you! Then file for divorce and demand alimony pendente lite, and get it garnished from his income. You want to be acting from a position of power, not supplication. If he gets his family out of your apartment, on THEIR dime, not his/yours, consider reconciliation.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 AM

19,894 posts, read 8,786,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post
Her husband wants her to stay with us while she completes chemo treatment. He comes over with his daughter, so 5 people in a 1 bedroom for a full day.

I've been really struggling mentally. Anxiety attacks since she's come to us. Can barely eat, my mental functions have decreased, I'm in a constant state of bad anxiety as in stomach knots, chest pain, etc.

My husband says I'm selfish for wanting space when his mom is dying.

She's sleeping in our bedroom and watches TV all day in our living room.

I dread going home. They want me to be her caretaker but I don't want the responsibility if something bad happens to her under my care.

We're still waiting on the oncology team to report the results.

How can her living in a 1 bedroom with 2-4 other people be possibly healthy for her well being? She also doesn't want to go outside at all. Wouldn't an assisted facility be better?

Please give some advice.
go to the appointment with the oncology team and explain what her present living conditions are comprised of. They certainly wouldn't recommend that living arrangement for MIL, the caregivers, or anyone else!

Old 01-21-2021, 12:36 PM

37,407 posts, read 45,595,277 times
Where is the OP?

Old 01-21-2021, 03:07 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
You don't have to convince me!

I would think that in your husband's mind he feels he is caught between a rock and a hard place but he isn't mature enough to recognize that you are the priority in his life and it is his responsibility to ensure your life is a happy one, first, before all else.

At home no one has the expertise to possibly give proper care to a cancer patient in her advanced stage. She should be in palliative care vs assisted living or a nursing home and that is her husband's responsibility but he does not want to take any, obviously, or is too frail to accomplish it.

I have a feeling that you will have to consider moving out because your husband does not hear you. You may have to leave your husband to take care of his parents. It could be permanent or temporary but that is for you to gauge as time goes by.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:36 PM

7,180 posts, read 3,385,790 times
I would get a new husband. She needs to be in her own house and her husband should be taking care of her

Old 01-21-2021, 08:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post
Her husband wants her to stay with us while she completes chemo treatment. He comes over with his daughter, so 5 people in a 1 bedroom for a full day.

I've been really struggling mentally. Anxiety attacks since she's come to us. Can barely eat, my mental functions have decreased, I'm in a constant state of bad anxiety as in stomach knots, chest pain, etc.

My husband says I'm selfish for wanting space when his mom is dying.

She's sleeping in our bedroom and watches TV all day in our living room.

I dread going home. They want me to be her caretaker but I don't want the responsibility if something bad happens to her under my care.

We're still waiting on the oncology team to report the results.

How can her living in a 1 bedroom with 2-4 other people be possibly healthy for her well being? She also doesn't want to go outside at all. Wouldn't an assisted facility be better?

Please give some advice.
No no. You tell hubby he needs a caretaker he can hire one or he can become one. It’s not your job to be a care taker. Yes a assisted living will be better. But with COVID....and cancer.....and the costs....

Where is her home geographically to your home to the treatment place? Tell hubs that you can take the kids and move in moms home and he can stay there with his mom closer to the treatment place.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:49 PM

15,772 posts, read 21,283,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post

This right here. I went through chemo when I was 23 and living with roommates and 1 bathroom. I had to scrub down everything I touched in the bathroom after I used it. It wasn't ideal, but I had nowhere else to go and neither did my roommates. It's one thing if you have no other choice, but your MIL has a choice.

After chemo, I had to chuck my mattress, pillows, and bedding. The smell wouldn't come out. Had to chuck a lot of my clothes too. No amount of laundering got the smell out of some of the materials.

Why can't your MIL stay at her own house? If the hospital is too far away, do they offer hospitality housing for families nearby? I've volunteered for my own cancer center's patient housing as so many people travel from far away for treatment and can't afford a hotel.

Please don't let your husband or his family make you feel selfish or childish. There are real medical reasons why it is not a good idea for her to be at your house sharing a single bathroom with you. And even 2 people in a 1 bedroom can feel cramped, particularly with the pandemic.

I also wonder about covid restrictions. By living in very cramped conditions, you are all more at risk. Do either you or your husband work outside of the home? Frankly, I wouldn't even be comfortable visiting someone on chemo if I wasn't completely quarantining with my household.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:23 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,844,158 times
If the OP continues with caring for her Mother-in-law, it's a certainty she'll be expected to care for her Father-in-law a few years down the road. And then for her Sister-in-law when her time comes. Best not to set a precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving