Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 09:58 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Consider an upright rollator. Helps to encourage proper posture

I looked at the ones that are advertised intermittently on TV (sorry, don't remember brand name), and they're horribly expensive ($500-600+). Are there others that aren't so outrageous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 10:05 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I looked at the ones that are advertised intermittently on TV (sorry, don't remember brand name), and they're horribly expensive ($500-600+). Are there others that aren't so outrageous?
First of all as several have said, Medicare will pay in full with a prescription and if the patient hasn’t had another mobility device paid for by Medicare in the past three years. If you go through a medical equipment store they will do all the paperwork including faxing the form to the doctor.

But you can also get them at Rite Aid and CVS where you can use coupons. CVS will send coupons for 40% off one item every month if you join their loyalty program and you can use them in store or on CVS.com where there's a bigger selection. We got my moms Drive petite rollator on Amazon for less than$150. She’s had it for about 7 years now. We couldn’t get it through Medicare because when she was discharged from rehab the year before they ordered her a two wheeled walker which Medicare paid for.

I would never buy anything through a TV advertisement.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:10 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
All you have to do is get the golf ball glides or the ski glides for his walker so they slide.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
All you have to do is get the golf ball glides or the ski glides for his walker so they slide.
He doesn’t currently have any walker, he has a cane. He wants the seat when they go out.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:54 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He doesn’t currently have any walker, he has a cane. He wants the seat when they go out.
Yes, the seat has been extremely helpful with my mom. Well, these days, it's a little tough to give specific examples because like everyone, she doesn't go out much. But before, she could go to events where she might have to wait in line and not worry because she could sit down without a problem. Or something like a museum, which she enjoys a lot and with the rollator, she knows she can stop and sit down when she needs to, not in other people's way of course, but without having to look for a seat or a bench either.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Look on Amazon - you can get them for well under $100! My sister used hers for years...

Old 01-30-2021, 08:58 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Quote:
Then you don't get a 3-wheel walker. He uses it primarily inside the house where quarters are cramped.

Personally, I don't like the idea of trying to sit in a seat on a rolling walker that you have to turn around to get into.

Last edited by lchoro; 01-30-2021 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-30-2021, 09:01 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
First of all as several have said, Medicare will pay in full with a prescription and if the patient hasn’t had another mobility device paid for by Medicare in the past three years. If you go through a medical equipment store they will do all the paperwork including faxing the form to the doctor.

But you can also get them at Rite Aid and CVS where you can use coupons. CVS will send coupons for 40% off one item every month if you join their loyalty program and you can use them in store or on CVS.com where there's a bigger selection. We got my moms Drive petite rollator on Amazon for less than$150. She’s had it for about 7 years now. We couldn’t get it through Medicare because when she was discharged from rehab the year before they ordered her a two wheeled walker which Medicare paid for.

I would never buy anything through a TV advertisement.

Did you even read my question before hitting the reply button? I asked about brands of upright walkers, not for financial planning advice.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:22 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Then you don't get a 3-wheel walker. He uses it primarily inside the house where quarters are cramped.

Personally, I don't like the idea of trying to sit in a seat on a rolling walker that you have to turn around to get into.
Is it possible to make a rollator that has a seat BEHIND you while you're using it?

Old 01-30-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, the seat has been extremely helpful with my mom. Well, these days, it's a little tough to give specific examples because like everyone, she doesn't go out much. But before, she could go to events where she might have to wait in line and not worry because she could sit down without a problem. Or something like a museum, which she enjoys a lot and with the rollator, she knows she can stop and sit down when she needs to, not in other people's way of course, but without having to look for a seat or a bench either.
My mom always liked that she could transport things on the seat too, bring her lunch to the recliner, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving