Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 06:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,021 times

Advertisements

Ask the Dr. to write an order for social service/discharge planning. The Dr. runs the show in the hospital, no ancillary services w/o Dr. order, at least it was that way when I was working.

Also talk to the Dr. about discontinuing Zyprexa. It's a strong anti-psychotic. These kinds of drugs are used to "calm down" the elderly so they are more manageable to staff, but they have terrible side effects. My father was given Thorazine, he was a zombie for the rest of his life. Ativan is a long-lastng benzodiazapam that should help her anxiety, but not knock her out.

I agree with a urine test for UTI. Older people often get these & have no symptoms except behavior change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 06:14 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,111,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Since you don't know my Mom and how long she has had dementia you can't be sure that what I said isn't true. Moving around has no effect on dementia but Mom's general well-being and outlook on life bloomed in the care center.

I wasn't arguing or denying what you said about your mom.

Thanks, ocnjgirl

Quote:
I don’t think it’s actually the broken hip or the surgery that causes a decline leading to death. Rather, I think in a lot of cases the fall and subsequent hip fracture is simply a symptom of a decline that is already occurring.
This was point I was trying to make. I tried to rep you again, but couldn't!

Old 02-17-2021, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 12,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think the fact that your mom does not speak any English at all it’s probably one of the biggest barriers to her getting adequate care. That is probably why they don’t see that she has dementia, and it is also probably the reason she is so agitated because she doesn’t understand what they are doing and why they are causing her pain in her mind. Hopefully she speaks a language that is rather common, because if she does not understand what the therapist is trying to do she may not cooperate when they come in to try to walk her. She’s going to be in tremendous pain putting weight on that leg. Are you able to talk to her on the phone to explain everything that is happening? Do you know if she is allowed full weight bearing yet?
Hello Ocnjgirl, and sorry for the late reply.
Mom was released from the hospital and I was very busy trying to have her adapt and be comfortable where I am staying right now, which is a small guest house.
It does help me to know that it is painful for her to put weight on that leg, because that was my original guess when she screamed when the therapist tried to have her stand up. The doctor said it should not hurt, but it looked like it really did, and they always put the reason for her being agitated in physical therapy on the dementia while in the hospital.
I was shown exercises for her to do in bed, so I am hoping that these will help. I am also looking for a physical therapist because we are only allowed three PT visits, and she needs them more regularly and more often.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Ask the Dr. to write an order for social service/discharge planning. The Dr. runs the show in the hospital, no ancillary services w/o Dr. order, at least it was that way when I was working.

Also talk to the Dr. about discontinuing Zyprexa. It's a strong anti-psychotic. These kinds of drugs are used to "calm down" the elderly so they are more manageable to staff, but they have terrible side effects. My father was given Thorazine, he was a zombie for the rest of his life. Ativan is a long-lastng benzodiazapam that should help her anxiety, but not knock her out.

I agree with a urine test for UTI. Older people often get these & have no symptoms except behavior change.
Thank you happygrrrl

I was off the forum for a while, as she was discharged from the hospital to my temporary place. Although it's tiny, it has helped her rebound a little but has added a lot of work for me. Of course, I am grateful to be there for her, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I am very sorry to read about your Dad. My mom was prescribed other drugs that knocked her out , and then of course she couldn't eat, so it started a downward spiral I didn't like.
The problem with prescribing Zybrexa is that it is for schizophrenia, not for dementia, and can have negative effects for people who have dementia. Mom also has a heart condition they diagnosed on day one with an EKG, and that drug is specifically prohibited for heart conditions as it can provoke sudden death.
I only found this out days later as I asked to speak to a neurologist and he then advised the staff to avoid prescribing Zybrexa. The problem is that the staff is absolutely not trained to handled older patients. I asked for a geriatric doctor but didn't get one. The surgeon and the MD were NOT aware of the side effect of that drug for elderly patients with a heart condition. It's just a machine and drugs are prescribed to avoid taking appropriate care of the patient at their own risk. I mean what are you going to say if an elderly patient dies? Oh, she/he was old already, they could have gone anyway, it kind of doesn't matter for them. This is very sad and upsetting. Plus many anti-anxiety medicines have the opposite effect which can make them more agitated. When I asked the doctor why she prescribed it, her answer was: Just to try. And she had already prescribed 8 or 9 other drugs in 24 hours. Why didn't she contact me and explained the situation? Elderly patients are in tough luck at some hospitals.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
My Mom broke her hip in 1993. She had a hip replacement and recovered. She didn't die till 2016. It is not a death sentence now to break a hip.
Windwalker2, I agree with you.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:18 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB8899 View Post
Hello Ocnjgirl, and sorry for the late reply.
Mom was released from the hospital and I was very busy trying to have her adapt and be comfortable where I am staying right now, which is a small guest house.
It does help me to know that it is painful for her to put weight on that leg, because that was my original guess when she screamed when the therapist tried to have her stand up. The doctor said it should not hurt, but it looked like it really did, and they always put the reason for her being agitated in physical therapy on the dementia while in the hospital.
I was shown exercises for her to do in bed, so I am hoping that these will help. I am also looking for a physical therapist because we are only allowed three PT visits, and she needs them more regularly and more often.
Three visits???? That is insane, she should be getting PT 3 times a WEEK until she can walk again! Did you ever get a chance to talk to the hospital social worker? Did they even offer to send her to rehab?

Old 02-17-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Three visits???? That is insane, she should be getting PT 3 times a WEEK until she can walk again! Did you ever get a chance to talk to the hospital social worker? Did they even offer to send her to rehab?
I did and they worked hand in hand with the case management team who first wanted to send mom "anywhere in CA", even if it was hundreds of miles away and told me I would have to accept wherever she goes. So I am looking now for a physical therapist and will start a fundraising campaign to afford it.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:33 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
I did and they worked hand in hand with the case management team who first wanted to send mom "anywhere in CA", even if it was hundreds of miles away and told me I would have to accept wherever she goes. So I am looking now for a physical therapist and will start a fundraising campaign to afford it.
I am so sorry you have been left with so little resources. Our health care system is shameful IMO.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:58 PM

674 posts, read 607,586 times
Quote:
So I am looking now for a physical therapist and will start a fundraising campaign to afford it.
If your area has an university with a PT program, contact its director or department head. S/he would probably know of PTs or recent graduates who are looking for jobs or freelance gigs. The Covid crisis unfortunately put many rehab professionals out of work so I think you will be able to find someone fairly easily.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
If your area has an university with a PT program, contact its director or department head. S/he would probably know of PTs or recent graduates who are looking for jobs or freelance gigs. The Covid crisis unfortunately put many rehab professionals out of work so I think you will be able to find someone fairly easily.
Thank you for this advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving