Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 PM

21 posts, read 60,722 times

Advertisements

Reposting here as this seemed like a good place for this subject.

Good evening,
I have been away from the “college scene” for sometime and really need some guidance..I have kind of a unique situation because I am already past my mid 30s and want to study a still relatively obscure but growing subject in the allied health field. I have been looking at smaller colleges in the Midwest mainly because I am looking at cost of living comparisons and they seem more favorable in places like Illinois and Kansas. I was a vocalist for a while in my younger years, but have been away from music for a long time so my aural and theory skills have gotten rusty. I have always been a musician at heart and would like to look at more realistic careers with solid growth and job opportunities and this seemed like a good choice.

I sort of lost my focus after my first year of college and fell into unfulfilling retail jobs. I’ve felt like I am not living up to my potential for a long time and though the clock is ticking, I don’t want to rush into a music therapy program simply because I’m almost 40. I am just wondering if anyone on here has experience working as a music therapist and can recommend some more affordable schools or can just tell me about their experiences at various colleges. I am so far looking at Western Illinois University in Macomb Illinois, U of Kansas in Lawrence Kansas, Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO. and also Illinois state University in Bloomington-Normal.

I know beggars can’t be choosers, but I am hoping to have a decent quality of life wherever I end up. I don’t necessarily need a big city, but prefer at least a happy medium like a quiet suburb. I think I’ve already decided WIU in Macomb is too isolated for my taste, as I’d have trouble finding part time employment and living arrangements there, but I would still be happy to hear about anyone’s experiences that studied there. For reference, I am 39, male, currently unemployed with small savings (11k), single with no kids, and living in CA.
I’d also love to hear about the Jon outlook in this field from people who have made this their career.
I hope you’re all staying healthy!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving