Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 11:27 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Get a lawyer. Pronto.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
May I ask why on the bolded part? The hospital called about elder abuse. Patients get bedsores all the time, even with attentive care, so it must have been REALLY bad for them to actually make a charge of abuse.
I gather neither she nor anyone else in the family wants to be responsible for this person when she's released. When that's the case...you get what you get!

Old 10-19-2021, 11:33 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Was the care giver charged with elder abuse because of the bedsores? If so, is that a pending charge? If your sister has early dementia, who has POA to handle her affairs? You really need to contact the lawyer you mentioned, the caregiver could coerce your sister to sign all kinds of paperwork assigning her POA, giving her access to her bank accounts, or even signing the house over to her. Don't sit on this, act now.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:26 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Also. I would check right away how long you have to live in a place before you can't be removed in CA. Different states may be different but I remember reading about squatters who take over homes this way.

Research squatter's rights in CA.
This. What a MESS! Even if you pursue and make a case from the elder abuse angle that may do nothing to get these people out of the house, which means they'll still be the family's problem. Some of them at least had "permission" to be there. In addition to everything else someone may have to go through a formal eviction. Sounds as if the entire situation was way past due for re-evaluation and a different approach to your sister's care found. Once that happens, to get these people out of the family's house try negotiating..."cash for keys".

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-19-2021 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-19-2021, 01:35 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlakes333 View Post
My sister has been in the hospital for the past 93 days. She has been disabled for the past 13 years and needs someone to take care of her 24/7.

The caregiver called the paramedics and my sister was taken to the hospital. Once there, the nurse called the police for elder abuse. My sister had a dirty diaper and was full of bedsores. She wasn't released to go hom they sent her to a rehab hospital.

During this time my sister asked the caregiver to paint a few rooms of her house. The caregiver brought half of her family to my sister's house to paint and now the painting is done, no one has left. Caregiver has her husband and three adult kids in my sister's house now. I caught wind of it and drove to my sister's. It's over an hour drive and I am not in the best of health with copd. When I arrived at the house there were five cars parked out front. The caregiver asked what I was doing there. I asked who's cars are of these. She said they were working on the house. I walked to the back door and it was locked. I asked to go inside and was told no.

Last year the caregiver told us her husband had passed away. Obviously he didn't. I went to a website you pay for information the caregiver and her husband have lost three houses and have three bankruptsies. The caregiver doesn't have a caregiver license. They don't sound like very good people.

I called APS and nothing happened. I called the city police and they went out there. The never went in the caregiver called my sister and told the police it was ok for them to be there. My sister had only been in this hospital for two weeks when this happened.

I have driven by my sister's house and the five cars are always there. No one ever leaves to go to work. My sister has a beautiful 3 bedroom home with a pool and the caregiver is using her Mercedes. It is never in the garage because the caregiver has filled it up with her stuff. My sister's backyard is full of all the caregiver's stuff. I went and spoke to the neighbors and they thought a new family had moved in. I got a
statement from both of them saying the cars have been there for the past two months. The caregiver has brainwashed my sister and my sister loves her and will cover up anything for her.

Last time I visited my sister I told her about all the people living in her house and she did not believe me. My sister is so sick I don't think she will be going back home. All my sister wants to go back and home and die in peace. I can't stand the face that all of these people are in her home and not paying rent. How dare the caregiver do this.

I called the police again and they said your sister said it was ok. I told them to drive by a few days and see that the cars never leave and go to the hospital and tell my sister what is going on. A detective was supposed to call me yesterday and I have heard nothing from them.

I know who my sister's attorney is would it do me any good to tell her what is going on? This is all I think about and it is driving me crazy. I would appreciate any advice anyone has. I am in the state of Califormia. I hope you understood what I wrote.

All of this was predictable from the moment your sister asked the caregiver to paint a few rooms for her. My prediction: the caregiver will forge a will if she hasn't already and get your sister to sign it leaving the house to her. She will never produce this forged will until after your sister passes away so your sister cannot contest it. Get her attorney over to the rehab place yesterday for your sister to sign an affidavit stating she never made a will leaving the caregiver anything. Her house may be worth northward of a million dollars if her house is in a prime area.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:50 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Get a lawyer, NOW, and get a POA. I have a feeling the caregiver is planning for this home to be her family's home.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:01 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. What a MESS! Even if you pursue and make a case from the elder abuse angle that may do nothing to get these people out of the house, which means they'll still be the family's problem. Some of them at least had "permission" to be there. In addition to everything else someone may have to go through a formal eviction. Sounds as if the entire situation was way past due for re-evaluation and a different approach to your sister's care found. Once that happens, to get these people out of the family's house try negotiating..."cash for keys".
The Op, herself, is not in the best of health and the sister's house is an hour away from Op. I think there is a very real limit on how much Op could have done to prevent this. If APS and the cops won't help, I'm not sure what can be done.

This caregiver sounds like a professional scam artist pretending to be a caregiver.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Get her attorney over to the rehab place yesterday for your sister to sign an affidavit stating she never made a will leaving the caregiver anything.
Except that the sister's attorney doesn't take her marching orders from an absentee relative AND the sister "loves this caregiver like family" so is likely not inclined to cut her out of her will entirely.

One other possible angle: is this caregiver and/or her family legal residents? Was she being paid in cash under the table while collecting benefits? Find her doing SOMETHING illegal and go after her on that.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:07 PM

46 posts, read 60,350 times
I just called the attorney's office. I can't get in until the 27th. I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I am so tired of worrying about all of this.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlakes333 View Post
My sister and I have been best friends growing up but we are not as close as we used to be. When her husband passed and I was thrilled he was gone because he was so mean to her. She holds that against me. My sister is all I have left in this world for family.
Does your sister have a POA? Is she mentally competent? Has she been declared mentally incapacitated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving