Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 08:28 AM

618 posts, read 938,416 times

Advertisements

My mom moved from a different city to be closer to me. My 81 year old mom is disabled and can not really go anywhere. She was introduced to new friends through a mutual friend. They all belong to the same church and my mom then joined. One of her friends was my moms caregiver for a short period of time. So she asked her to borrow 2k. She said her husband is out of work and they need help paying their kids religious school and other things. The husband is retraining for a better career. I told her let's stall a bit since it is a large amount. Apparently my mom told her at one point in the past if she needed help she would help. But my mom was surprised by how much but thinks she is good for it. My mom agreed to stall but apparently got some negative reaction from a couple of the friends. They know she sold her house to move here and they figured out she has money because of it. This seems weird. The lady that needs help is in her 50s. Weird that she is asking an elderly disabled person for money. But if she needs help and can pay back, I just want to investigate. What do others think? Senior fraud so prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 08:32 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
I think you are wise to investigate. I think your mom's new "friends" see her as a cash register.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:37 AM

I bet they googled my moms old address and saw the home price. Easy to find. Or maybe my mom told them innocently

Old 01-03-2022, 08:39 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
My cousin asked my parents for a very large sum, a year before they passed away. My mom tried to cover it up from me… I am on her account so I got a notification about the large check…she made something up that didn’t sound right to me… So I waited for the check to clear and saw what it was and questioned her. I was LIVID. My brother actually called our cousin and chewed her out over the phone… The only reason she asked my parents was she knew they would never say no to her. She wouldn’t even ask her own parents because she knew what the answer would be. And the only reason she needed it was she was building a house and had let her “wants” expand beyond her budget and needed the extra money to pay the builder. I was so frustrated with my parents that they did not turn her down… I didn’t even tell all of the family because I knew it would just serve no point. But I was furious with her… And after it became clear that my parents were going down the hill fast, I called her personally and told her we had to have the money. She did pay it back before my parents passed away so at least my mom got to see that check…I think she would have been terribly let down otherwise.

People think that the elderly have money just sitting around and will often do whatever they can to get their grubby hands on it. Advise your mom about this.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-03-2022 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 09:00 AM

I know I have never been personally asked for money. Maybe in college someone needed 20 bucks or I needed it. Usually business and friendship gets sour quick.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:14 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
They are not real friends, they are taking advantage of a lonely old lady.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:27 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
My mom moved from a different city to be closer to me. My 81 year old mom is disabled and can not really go anywhere. She was introduced to new friends through a mutual friend. They all belong to the same church and my mom then joined. One of her friends was my moms caregiver for a short period of time. So she asked her to borrow 2k. She said her husband is out of work and they need help paying their kids religious school and other things. The husband is retraining for a better career. I told her let's stall a bit since it is a large amount. Apparently my mom told her at one point in the past if she needed help she would help. But my mom was surprised by how much but thinks she is good for it. My mom agreed to stall but apparently got some negative reaction from a couple of the friends. They know she sold her house to move here and they figured out she has money because of it. This seems weird. The lady that needs help is in her 50s. Weird that she is asking an elderly disabled person for money. But if she needs help and can pay back, I just want to investigate. What do others think? Senior fraud so prevalent.
This church and these "friends" seem like a scam club. It's way out of bounds to ask for $2000. Your mom needs to find a new church ASAP.

It's really suspicious that as soon as she arrived, not only does someone she knew before have her hand out, but that members of the group are actually backing her up, and pressuring your mom. These are not friends! This situation is a flashing neon red flag, OP. It's a set-up.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Before my mother lost all her marbles a couple of married grifters tried to talk her into letting them live with her to “help her out.” She saw through them, and put the kibosh on their scheme. She told me that she knew they did not want to work. These people met her at church, for Pete’s sake!

I know another case where a very old lady married a much younger guy, in an obvious ploy to inherit her money.

The OP’s mom is an easy target, it seems. She needs to be protected, and her finances need to be protected as well. She needs her money to fund her late in life expenses.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:14 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
It's just disheartening how many people feel entitled to take advantage of the elderly these days.

What is wrong with people? Why can't an able bodied person work and come up with 2K all on their own?

Now someone is going to have to step in and play guard over her money because of the untrustworthy, greedy behavior of others. Sad.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:15 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This church and these "friends" seem like a scam club. It's way out of bounds to ask for $2000. Your mom needs to find a new church ASAP.

It's really suspicious that as soon as she arrived, not only does someone she knew before have her hand out, but that members of the group are actually backing her up, and pressuring your mom. These are not friends! This situation is a flashing neon red flag, OP. It's a set-up.
It does sound like an absolute set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving