Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 09:19 AM

8,056 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

I am needing someone to accompany me to out-patient surgery and I found care.com on the internet. They claim to have people in the area I am needing help in HOWEVER they require you to sign up for "premium" service in order to contact any of the caregivers.

I am hesitant to give them money just to view their providers. The "basic" service shows you alleged people in the area but who knows if they are real or not? The format is very similar to a "Hot singles in your area" website in that it shows images of the people but they could just be stock images.

Anybody use them in the past? Is it legit and was it worth the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 10:17 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
I did a quick search on google and found this site: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/care.com

I would do more research if I was you. These seem to be fairly current reviews.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:22 AM

8,056 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I did a quick search on google and found this site: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/care.com

Thank you so much for the link! My first thought just looking at the site was that it appeared a bit "scammy". I appreciate your effort and I'd rep you more if I could!

Old 12-29-2022, 10:26 AM

7,239 posts, read 4,548,286 times
I just used the free version and no I don't think it is.

Like Match.com I "happened" to get responses more and more as the days went on and I didn't sign up. I suspect if I logged on I would have found the responders were not "real".

Old 12-30-2022, 01:02 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I would imagine caregiving scams are going to become more prevalent as the population ages and more people are seeking help from paid caregivers. Lots of opportunity for scams and theft.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

Thanks for posting the link to reviews! Care.com has been around a LONG (10+ years) time, it used to be a decent site way back then but it was a free site from what I remember. I checked it out at some point, may have been when TV commercials started. It seemed like it was just a job posting site, like a classified ads section of a news paper when people can list that they babysit in a certain area to be matched to locals who need a sitter.

I went to your link even though I don't need to use them, I was curious what people are saying about them, I read two pages of RECENT reviews. They all have similar complaints where babysitters are canceling at the last minute, such as an hour before they agreed to babysit. Care.com some how takes, or charges your credit card on file for the babysitting services, then they tell the customer to speak to the baby sitter to get that money back, they do not offer any kind of support. The baby sitter tells them to get their money back from care.com.

Others are joining the premium service, they then cancel it because they didn't have luck with the site, some how the premium service does not get canceled, next thing they know there are months of care.com premium service charges on their credit card. I had similar happen to me with the Ancestry genealogy site after noticing I signed up for a world traveler subscription, only found out when I got emailed it was going to renew. I went to my control panel to uncheck the auto renew box, saved preferences. Good thing I went back the next day to make sure it was not going to auto renew. Sure enough, the auto renew box was checked. I went on my computer to uncheck it, checked it the next day, it was still unchecked. I don't know how many others have had that issue too.

I would compare it to their site "scamming people" with the membership fee, since so many people aren't having luck canceling the premium service.

I want to note that I did not see any of the reviews say that they called up their bank or credit card to block care.com from processing any more payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Thank you so much for the link! My first thought just looking at the site was that it appeared a bit "scammy". I appreciate your effort and I'd rep you more if I could!

According to one review on page two you are able to post a job using a free account, you can not reply to anyone who wants to take the job, if in fact these people wanting to contact you are real.

Quote:
TIGI - Dec 18, 2022 - Basic (free) Membership is Worthless

The website states that you can post a position with a FREE Basic Membership. What they do NOT tell you up front is that if someone wants to apply for the position, you cannot communicate with them unless you upgrade to the PAID premium plan. You learn this information only AFTER someone replies and wants to take the job.

Reply from Care.com Dec 19, 2022

Hi TiGi, Your free membership gives you a chance to try our services in case you weren’t ready to commit to purchasing a Premium Membership when you first visited Care.com. To ensure the safety of our community and to support our efforts in providing you a high quality service there is a fee associated with a Premium Membership.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:47 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I saw your other thread about needing someone to accompany/transport you after day surgery. Have you checked with the hospital's patient services or discharge department? They may be able to suggest organizations that provide such services like this locally. My local hospital does. Don't recall the details now, but they put me in contact with a charitable volunteer group you could submit ride requests to.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:25 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
There may also be licensed, bonded transport services in your city/area that can transport and accompany you to/from your out-patient surgery. I found one in my city and they were terrific. They're owned by a veteran and the person who transported me stayed at the surgical facility the entire time I was there, as required by the facility. Their service was impeccable as well: on time, courteous, and helpful.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
You might check your local Office of the Aging or Senior Center. Our senior center has volunteers that will accompany you to medical appointments, outpatient surgeries, shopping, etc.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:40 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
There may also be licensed, bonded transport services in your city/area that can transport and accompany you to/from your out-patient surgery. I found one in my city and they were terrific. They're owned by a veteran and the person who transported me stayed at the surgical facility the entire time I was there, as required by the facility. Their service was impeccable as well: on time, courteous, and helpful.
Yes. Google "medical transport" for your area. or "non emergency medical transport"

Some areas have a lot of these. They are professional and licensed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving