Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 03:03 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times

Advertisements

Talk to the Social Worker in the hospital where she had the surgery. They will give you names of agencies which can help you out. If you go with a private agency, expect to spend a bunch of $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 12:17 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
If neighbors and hospital social workers don't pan out, contact a geriatric case manager or social worker. Good ones know the local resources and can often help you come up with a plan in a hurry.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:56 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If neighbors and hospital social workers don't pan out, contact a geriatric case manager or social worker. Good ones know the local resources and can often help you come up with a plan in a hurry.
There's no reason to do all that, he just needs someone temporarily, and quickly. No reason not to just call an agency and he can get someone tomorrow. A social worker is just going to give him a list of the same names he can get form Google for home health agencies.

Old 12-31-2022, 01:55 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I want to tank you all! I have contacted several, but this being between Christmas and New Year’s not much response. My daughters have been a huge help, but I’ve got to find someone else for next few weeks.

About planning, we were actually talking about that, but this happened before we got the plans set.

Happy New Year!

Old 02-21-2023, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's no reason to do all that, he just needs someone temporarily, and quickly. No reason not to just call an agency and he can get someone tomorrow. A social worker is just going to give him a list of the same names he can get form Google for home health agencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I want to tank you all! I have contacted several, but this being between Christmas and New Year’s not much response. My daughters have been a huge help, but I’ve got to find someone else for next few weeks.

About planning, we were actually talking about that, but this happened before we got the plans set.

Happy New Year!
Dare to dream. Most agencies struggle to find enough staff to care for the clients they already have, let alone have any in reserve to take on emergency situations.

This is exactly why contacting a geriatric case manager/social worker makes sense.

A good one will have resources beyond just calling agencies and hoping for the best. A good one will know key people in several agencies who will return her calls even if it is during the holidays. Though, of course, even that won't produce health aides they don't have.

A good one will know of competent caregivers who don't work for agencies but might be available to help out, perhaps someone whose patient has entered the hospital for a lengthy stay/recovery, or a CNA willing to take a second job for a short time, or someone whose client has recently passed away, or, ...

A good geriatric case manager/social worker will have all sorts of contacts and options that you can't get by Googling.

A good one can help you come up with a plan for the future.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

Happy New Year!

So did you find someone to help out ? How did that work out?

How is your wife doing? Has she recovered and back to being your caregiver?

Do you have a plan in place for the future?

Old 02-21-2023, 07:07 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Dare to dream. Most agencies struggle to find enough staff to care for the clients they already have, let alone have any in reserve to take on emergency situations.

This is exactly why contacting a geriatric case manager/social worker makes sense.

A good one will have resources beyond just calling agencies and hoping for the best. A good one will know key people in several agencies who will return her calls even if it is during the holidays. Though, of course, even that won't produce health aides they don't have.

A good one will know of competent caregivers who don't work for agencies but might be available to help out, perhaps someone whose patient has entered the hospital for a lengthy stay/recovery, or a CNA willing to take a second job for a short time, or someone whose client has recently passed away, or, ...

A good geriatric case manager/social worker will have all sorts of contacts and options that you can't get by Googling.

A good one can help you come up with a plan for the future.
I am a big fan of geriatric care managers, the one we had for my mom was worth her weight in gold. But for an emergency, I need someone tomorrow kind of scenario I don’t think they’d be any more help than just calling agencies yourself.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am a big fan of geriatric care managers, the one we had for my mom was worth her weight in gold. But for an emergency, I need someone tomorrow kind of scenario I don’t think they’d be any more help than just calling agencies yourself.
Oh, you never know.

From the sounds of things, calling agencies on his own wasn't successful, so what could it hurt?

I'm also a big fan of geriatric case managers/social workers. The good ones have been doing this for a while, and it is not likely that this would be the first time they had to find a caregiver in a hurry.

I would definitely recommend consulting with one to come up a plan for next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving