Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,392,089 times

Advertisements

It seems a lot of these veterinary clinics are like oil change shops. They're always pushing their "extra" cash-cow services on their unsuspecting customers. And it really sucks when they don't even have the cat's best interest at heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,818,324 times
I am not a cat person, but a dog one, but I sympathize with you. Do you mind if I post here as well?

Vet will insist tremendously on dental cleaning on an elderly dog. Were she younger, I might consider it, but will not do it for 2 reasons: first her advanced age, then the insistence of the vet is a huge turn off for me. I am very very skeptical of any medical procedure that is overoffered.

And I can only speak for myself, but I suggest everyone else is very skeptical too. Obviously some are necessary, but many are necessary to the vet's pockets only.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,289,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
The good news is Mali cat is back in the shop and ready to work and be my boss.

Good news is she's got an appointment with the vet for her spaying next week!

But here's what really is boiling under my skin. I was on the phone setting up Mali's appoiment and relaying information. And the vet tech on the phone was repeating it all back to me and at the end was like, "So are we also declawing her?" In a very casual voice like she said it all day long.

Let's just say my words we not very nice to the vet tech. And I must have raised my voice because everybody here in the shop looked at me like...wow! She knows my stance on declawing and I've told her repeatedly my views on it and not to mention it to me ever again! GAHHHH!

Thanks for letting me vent.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I would have said "No, but if you like I can come in and amputate your fingers at the first knuckle for you - would you like that? That's the equivalent of declawing YOU INHUMANE COW!"

Okay so I wouldn't have said that. I would have just thought it. I would have said "Nah, no paw mutilation for my cat - thanks for asking though YOU INHUMANE COW!"

Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
chaseystarz: I don't blame you for wanting to vent. What a cretin! (With apologies to all the other cretins everywhere.)

Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
"So are we also declawing her?" In a very casual voice like she said it all day long.
She probably does, sadly.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,589,859 times
Ugh! It's all about the $ with some of these people...good for you for speaking up!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,375,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I would have said "No, but if you like I can come in and amputate your fingers at the first knuckle for you - would you like that? That's the equivalent of declawing YOU INHUMANE COW!"

Okay so I wouldn't have said that. I would have just thought it. I would have said "Nah, no paw mutilation for my cat - thanks for asking though YOU INHUMANE COW!"
Lol, this is along the same lines of what I was going to post.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Oh, Chasey you are definitely in the right place.

I was thinking that perhaps forwarding to the vet tech the AMVA statement of policy on declawing might be a non combative way to educate. The policy states that the owner should be informed about certain things that they most likely do not tell owners. Just a thought.
might be better to forward to the vet and office manager, as well ..... the vet tech is probably only "doing her job" and asking what she has been told to ask.......

Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,330,224 times
Thanks guys for all the backing on my vent.

Here's the sad thing around here though....all the vets around here de-claw. So no matter where one goes you have to deal with it. I've just stated several times NOT to mention it around me and it's this one tech in particular that does it constantly. I've told her just don't handle any of my cats and stay away.

I actually happen to really like my vet and Jensen the diabetic gets along fantastically with him. And the few techs - not including the one that doesn't like me- that handle Jensen. Plus on another side they board. And we don't have too many cat boarding facilities here. And having a diabetic cat can be quite a juggle.

But my vet has a clinic with another vet in the same spot and if I remember correctly this tech works for the other vet.

So if anything my gripe is at the vet tech. And she's pretty ditzy anyway. I'm amazed she's hung on as long as she has.

Once again thanks guys!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
the vet tech is probably only "doing her job" and asking what she has been told to ask.......
Exactly. And all you have to do is say "No, thanks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats