Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

I have some stray kittens to give away free. I know a lot of animal rights people say not to give kittens away free, because sometimes people do bad things to them. But if they go to the pound they will be put down in five days. If you can't give them away free, are you supposed to have them put down at at the pound?

Just wondering your thoughts on this. I understand the reasons that you should not give cats away for free, but sometimes you have no choice. You can't spay or neuter every stray kitten you find, and you can't keep them all. Shelters are way overcrowded. What do you do?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
I wish I could offer suggestions. If an older couple or well dressed couple come for the kitten I wouldn't be suspicious. You know the sleazy type to look out for.......

Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
Funny that you mention this, this is an article I read this morning. About half way down is about giving it away for free, maybe you can screen the homes somehow.
Kitten found in truck engine after ride from Fort Lauderdale | Treasure Coast Talk

Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Funny that you mention this, this is an article I read this morning. About half way down is about giving it away for free, maybe you can screen the homes somehow.
Kitten found in truck engine after ride from Fort Lauderdale | Treasure Coast Talk

It's very hard to screen people - total strangers. There are so many people taking free pets to sell to labs, to use in Crush Videos, bait for their Pitties and for snake food.... how can you tell? Not all of them have tattoos, nose rings, and look like weirdos I'm sure. Those that do look sleazy or drugged or stink of alcohol.... well, how do tell them they can't have one of the kittens?

I myself would avoid young couples. From what I see on Craig's List, all too many break up and any pets in the home are unloaded on any taker while the "couple" goes back to their respective momma's home. Another is the young wife/girlfriend gets pregnant and decides she has no more time for the cats or whatever pets they've aquired even BEFORE the baby is born.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:09 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,098 times
Charge a fee but offer to reimburse the fee when they bring you proof of spaying or neutering.....Maybe $30-40

Old 06-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Not gonna work. Nobody spays and neuters. That's why the females will probably end up going to the pound. Nobody wants them.

Spaying starts at $80 for a female and $40 for a male. Not worth it for most people, especially in a poor rural area.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Not gonna work. Nobody spays and neuters. That's why the females will probably end up going to the pound. Nobody wants them.

Spaying starts at $80 for a female and $40 for a male. Not worth it for most people, especially in a poor rural area.

Have you tired to talk to the closest shelter, veterinarian or rescue group about possibly starting a low-cost spay/neuter clinic where you live? I don't think I could live in such a depressed, depressing area.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

There are places where spaying/neutering can be done at a reduced cost or even free. Call local ASPCA or Humane Society to get suggestions. (I did this in JAX because my stingy ex refused to pay for the vet.)

I have heard that if a small fee, like $5, is charged, it would discourage people from getting them for purposes of turning them over to experimental labs because they can always get another one for free.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I think it's pretty easy to tell if someone's in it for the wrong reasons...most of the animals I've found homes for have gone to people I either know personally or are friends of close friends. I have never charged anyone for taking them in, in fact the last kitty I found a home for (now named Felix, and BTW he's doing great in his new home!) was delivered with a litterbox, feline pine litter, a little bed, 4 cans of good quality food, toys, and ceramic dishes for food and water...LOL...I tend to go a bit overboard, but I figure if I spent the money to get these things for kitty in the first place, it only makes sense he should be able to keep them. I say just trust your gut and your heart...and I agree it's better to re-home for free than to risk their lives ending for no good reason or being stuck in a shelter for a long time.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 PM

We don't have ASPCA or a humane society. We have a few underfunded shelters and some pounds. I think there is a shelter around here that is hoping to eventually have spay and neuter drives, but there's no such thing at this time. Two counties have it, but you have to make 150% of the poverty line or less, and I think they approve two low-cost spay or neuters a month. I don't live in those counties anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats