Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 PM

333 posts, read 1,063,366 times

Advertisements

Hi again!

Another question from me. You'd think I never owned a cat before! LOL

My kittens are four months old on Sunday. I am currently keeping them in my bedroom during the day while I am at work. It's a master bedroom...so it's pretty large...and they have lots of toys, food, water and a cat tree in there - so they're not hurtin'.

My question is...how much longer can I do this without seeming like a big meanie!? LOL The way I see it...is if they're going to sleep all day - I'd rather they be safe in my room than getting into all kinds of trouble all over the house.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
If they seem content to spend their days in the bedroom, I see no harm in it. 16 weeks is still pretty young to be set free without supervision. I doubt if they see you as the "meanie"!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:43 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
I would make sure to give them free roam to get used to the rest of your place when you're home to watch? See where they go what they do! They may be fine. ..they MAY be little devils and get into lots of trouble!

I've found with mine, if I'm there when they're scoping out the new territory, for example, if I plop them onto the floor every time they jump onto the counter - they quit. If I scowl and shoo them away from the laundry room/detergents etc, they'll find somewhere else to hang out. - it's good to instill these bits of behavior while they're still young.

I wouldn't keep them contained in the bedroom forever - but during kitten hood, it's definately a good idea to keep tabs on 'em.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I think it is fine. You know what my cats do? They all come in here, lol... there are four and they all wanna be in the bedroom here.. they like being with their people.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
I'm making a safe room for my new kitten (which is coming on Saturday). He will be set up in the guest room with all the trimmings. I guess I'm going to keep his stuff there and if we go out, I'll keep him in there. I'm sure it's fine, alot of what I've read says to make a safe room until your kitties get used to your place and until you are certain they won't die from something in your house.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Better to be safe than sorry. All in good time. I had a kitten get stuck behind a bookcase--up the middle of the wall, no less. My son's kitty got under the built-in shoe rack in the closet through the tiniest slit. It took him hours to find her. Good suggestion to let them out while you are there. You will know when they are ready and mature.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You're not a meanie. They're just babies. Think of what you're doing as ensuring their safety when you're not home.

Are they free to explore when you are home? And do you confine them in your bedroom at night as well? Give them their freedom gradually, watch them and guide/reprimand them when they get into trouble, and go from there.

It was probably six or seven months before we allowed our cats to be free to roam all day and night, and they were 10 months old when we rescued them. First they were in the unfinished basement room, then the finished basement room, then we allowed them upstairs while we were home or awake, then we confined them only at night, etc. They still think of the basement as their safe place, and they run there whenever they're spooked (like when we vacuum ).

Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Because my husband is a light sleeper, and Zed would be rattling the bedroom door all night long if left to his own opportunities, my cats spend the night in a deluxe two room apartment with ensuite and full dining facilities. Which is actually the laundry room and adjacent storage room. They're perfectly fine with the arrangement and use it as a time to get their 18 hours of daily napping in on the assorted cat beds provided in there. (Though Five prefers the warmth of the top of the water heater a lot of the time)

So IMO, the kittens are fine where they are, and they've probably got more space as it is than a cat in a typical Tokyo apartment does.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 PM

333 posts, read 1,063,366 times
Yes...during the day if I am home...they are free to roam. The first day I let them explore...and they could be wherever they wanted - two of them came and slept on my bed. LOL This weekend they've been spoiled, since I've been home for three days. Lots of outside the bedroom time.

And I do keep them in my room with me at night. They don't seem to mind and they all follow me up there when I turn off the lights and the TV for the evening.

They have behaved so far. Though they're not out of my sight for very long. I can't stand it! LOL And you are right when you say they prefer to be with their people! They follow me everywhere. I'm in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats