Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM

426 posts, read 1,564,989 times

Advertisements

I've always had black cats. My older cat is a calico. My younger one is all white with gold eyes and darling little pink nose & ears. My first white cat...I'm learning quite a bit about the sensitivities of albino critters. White cat owners, help!

The white kitten loves to lay in the sun, but isn't smart enough to come inside before she gets sunburned. Do they make sunscreen for cats?? Any recommendations? Her poor little ears and the top of her head are getting fried.

Second question -flea control? My roommate's two cats (black and grey) and my other one (the calico) all get Advantage. No problems with any of them...but it gave the white kitty a bald spot on her neck. So, no more advantage for her, but what else to use? With a multi-pet household, I can't not give her anything, the fleas will just all eat her instead of going on the other critters. Luckily we have tile floors...

I've tried DE but the cats just lick it off in a day. Flea collars, don't work very well in my experience, and would likely also irritate her neck. I'm thinking a flea powder or a spray - which ones are good?

I'd *love* to keep her indoors, but that's not an option until I move at some point in the future. Help!

Just for cuteness' sake, here's a pic of "Bad Kitten":

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs459.ash1/25251_1396034774788_1049789966_31175952_4927997_n. jpg (broken link)

She think she's hiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,983,187 times
White cats and litecolored cats are susceptible to Squamous Cell Carcinoma from being in the sun. I looked at where you are from. LA is alot like AZ. My red tabby, age 14 is terminal from SCC and I may have contributed to it by letting him lay around outside too much. Its a terrible cancer. He has it in his oral cavity and cheek. He won't make it past the end of this month. I am just trying to keep him comfortable until its time ..

Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 AM

426 posts, read 1,564,989 times
Sorry about your kitty I know they can be more prone to getting cancer, which is why I'm looking for sunblock for my kitty until I can keep her indoors.

Anybody?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 13,128 times
I'm looking for a sunscreen also - for my indoor cat! He just had surgery to remove a lesion on his nose (fur covered part) and it turned out to be SCC. Just wanted to forewarn you...sunbathing in light streaming through the windows can also cause cancer.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 12,435 times
I would like to commence by divulging condolence and sympathy to your babies. However, your genuine benovence and expirences will help future cat owners take precautions for there white cats. So thank you for that! I am EXTREMLY SORRY!!

After scanning the collection of white cat info.. I become cognizant, most I never knew..
This past summer was my white cat "Blanca's" 1st. She didn't really have any probs. she's only 1. I aquired her by some idiot dropping momma off in our neighborhood, preggers, and we took her in. He mother, Lil' is the sweetest, abundantly loyal, angelic sweatheart. Low and behold, 3 weeks later, July 29, 2010 ..LIl' gave birth having 3 twin gray looking calicos, and one white kitten.

I went about deliberating, "why does she sleep so much longer than the others." Nothing seemed to wake her. Later, I heard from someone, deafness was prevalent in white cats. Finally, I realized. I found the other cats good home.. and the momma and "deafy" stayed with us. I wanted to make sure she was well cared for. I didn't want her to go outside, at all, however, she wasn't having it. She saw momma going out and wanted to explore.

Recently I have noticed she will not stay out as long as other cats. I am from WV and we have variable seasons and temps. In the winter it can reach 10 degrees and the summer 90. Are they susceptible to hot and cold weather?? For example, do they have less protection, in other words, is the white folical thinner and doesn't allow her to stay warm in the winter; oppisitly, not enough hair to safe gaurd in the extremes of summer??

Thankfully, I presently know, to put sunscreen on her when she goes out. But what brands? Is there cat sunscreen? or is the reg sunscreen ok? Is there anything else I must know about my white cat! Thank you for the info!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,771,467 times
i use aveno baby sunscreen for my hairless dog

Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 49,357 times
Thumbs up I have the same problem with my white cat.

She is not allergic to Revolution and I use Avena sunscreen for babies, recommended by my vet. I rub it good the night before so it has time to dry before she takes her morning bath. She is on hypoallergic food now which I hope will help. I inherited Pearl when Mom did at Thanksgiving. She is 13 and I discovered the constant rubbing of her eyes had caused her eyelashes to grow inward. She had surgery lately so isn't rubbing as much.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Thumbs up Poor Pearl

I found Pearl in a ditch when she was about 8 weeks old. I gave her to my Mom for Christmas, 1998. Mom went to a nursing home in 2006 so Mom's neighbor took Pearl. Six weeks ago the neighbor called and said she couldn't keep Pearl any more due to health problems. I had not seen her in 5 years and was shocked at the condition of her eyes and the sores on her head. She also weighed 16 pounds, about twice as much as she should have, and was covered in fleas although she never went beyond the screened porch. She loved to lie in the sun, her foster mother said. Now I have to figure out how to keep her out of the sun while my other two cats spend the day on my porch, and feed her a different food. I keep the litter pans on the porch, which poses another problem. I really don't want to place them in the house. I hope the sunblock works.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM

Thumbs up Pearl with eyes finally open

I can't seem to upload photos from my computer or a website.

Last edited by ybaka; 02-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: link invalid

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Pearl after eye surgery, damage to eyes caused by sun and fleas, which caused her eye lashes to grow inward. She can see light and movement but not much more, but at least now her eyes are not painful. Several baths in baby shampoo and an application of Revolution (prescription) got rid of the fleas. Never use Advantage on white cats!! The vet explained that most white cats don't have pigment in their eyelids, especially directly around the eyes. Most cats look like they have on eyeliner. This is missing in white cats and causes their eyelids to burn.
Attached Thumbnails
Sensitive white cat - flea control & sunscreen recommendations?-pearl-2-1-12.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats