Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,213,222 times

Advertisements

Okay, I admit in. I've never given my cats baths. The vet does it for me but now that I have three feline princesses I need to learn how to do the deed.

What do y'all recommend? Do I put the cat in the sink with water already in it? Do I just wash them under running water? What kind of soap should I use?

I know to have towels ready and waiting at the end of the bath and to wrap the cat up in one to help dry her. Two of my cats have very long hair. Do you use a hair dryer on yours or just towel dry and set them free?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I dread doing this because they are not going to be happy kitties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,987,922 times
I find that my cats are clamer if I run the water ahead of time and then put them in. I recommend one of those non-slip mats in the tub/sink as well, since then they have something to grab on to and don't seem as nervous. I soap them up and then use a cup to dump water over them for rinsing. I used to blow dry my long hair cat, but my short haired ones I towel dry as much as possible then set them free. If the house is cooler, then I blow dry all of them.

Good luck

Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,629,275 times
I don't understand why you give your cats baths.

I do know that a cat's fur has natural oils that naturally repels insects, dirt, water, like water off a duck's back, so to speak. When you consistently wash a cat with soap, you strip that cat's oils from its fur, and in so doing, set them up for being dirtier then normal for now the fur is dull and porous, and potentially, will be unable to stop a wandering bug from investigating further in towards the skin.

Let me ask you a question. How does your hair feel when you over-shampoo? That is more of less the same scenario with cats' fur.

In caring for many cats, I do not ever bathe them. I am amazed at the high shine on them, especially my black ones. Brushing cats who normally are indoors, should be more then enough in keeping a cat clean.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:25 AM

10,103 posts, read 19,302,376 times
My dh gave the cat a bath, which he tolerated, then he decided to use the blow dryer on him, dh ended up in the ER getting 12 stitches in his hand.

I recommend just towel drying the cat, keep him inside until dry.

I would recommend also buying a special shampoo for cats, ordinary shampoo dries out their coat and skin.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,299,712 times
yeah, get the special shampoo or use very mild baby shampoo if you can't find anything decent in the petsection.. don't over bathe, I agree with that..it ruins the hair
I'd let them airdry (dryer adds to the hair drying out) unless it's really cool in the house, try to have it kind of warm inside when you bathe them..

Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM

4,929 posts, read 10,598,074 times
I use an oatmeal-based, gentle shampoo for cats and dogs that I bought at a pet store, and I usually wash the cat in the bathtub. I find that a pitcher of some sort is a good idea. My cat doesn't like the idea/sound of the running water from the bathtub tap, which is why I rec the pitcher. I don't use gloves but some people rec them to avoid getting scratched.

Getting the whole process over with as quickly as possible is key, as is towel-drying (the sound of a hair dryer freaks most cats out). But then, the cat usually dries itself off naturally and very quickly afterward by licking/grooming.

I also agree that frequent baths--for cats and dogs--will dry out their coats. Brushing is a much better way to clean cat and dog coats; baths should be reserved for those occassions in which they are an absolute necessity (my cat *loves* to roll around in the sand; she has favorite spots in the backyard that are of a circular design b/c she rolls around in them, flipping from side to side. If I run a moist paper towel over her after she comes in, it's black with dirt).

Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 AM

There is a member here by the name of luvmycat who makes the most wonderful all natural soaps. Two that come to mind that would be wonderful for your cats is either her lavender or oatmeal. Why don't you DM luv and inquire about these soaps, if you are interested. I know luv would be more then happy to help you! Tell her I sent you!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM

683 posts, read 1,144,005 times
Don't forget the Bactrin, bandages and goggles.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,081,924 times
Really! Cats are generally self-cleaning, with an occasional brushing to help them out. See post #3 above; my thoughts exactly!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Really! Cats are generally self-cleaning, with an occasional brushing to help them out. See post #3 above; my thoughts exactly!
Thank you, catman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats