Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times

Advertisements

This gorgeous kitten was left in a box at the back door of the animal hosp. She's about 4 mths w/ not much interraction. It's obvious she's been mistreated. We've had her a week now. At first, she was afraid of hands/fingers in front of her face & would hiss and growl. She even hissed at a toy, so I doubt she's been played with. If you moved your hand too fast, she'd squint and shut her eyes as if she was afraid of being hit. We've named her Gypsy while we work socializing her.

Now a week later, I can't part w/ her. Those inner growls are being replaced w/ purrs. She's still a little scared but has taken an interest in playing w/ toys which seems to be new to her. She's warming up to our cats, but I supervise their visits. She has taken to one of our older dogs. She now loves being on the bed w/ me and wont even jump off.

Here's Gypsy, our last rescue for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:23 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
What a purty coat, very distinctive around the face.
You can see the wariness in the poor kid, straight away, in all the pics. I don't know how some people can be cruel to the young of any species. (Actually, I'm aware of all the sociological facts but don't feel like expounding on them here.) My hunch is that someone took pity on lil' Gypsy enough to leave her where she'd be taken care of. She was blessed to have that.
Y'know, it just dawned on me. In Massachusetts there's been a law passed which allows for public places like firehouses and supermarkets to be designated locations for dropping off unwanted infants. The parent(s) can go to such a place and not be subject to arrest. Although it's a chilling thought that someone could dump their own flesh and blood like a bag of trash, increased restrictions on reproductive choice along with familial/economic pressures make it a reality for a few. Far better that than what's occurred sometimes, which is a baby being found - not always alive - in a garbage can or on a doorstep. Why can't something similar be enacted for animals? Untold numbers of "Gypsy's" meet fates that are less kind. Perhaps a dent could be put in those numbers if shelters and animal control offices worked in conjunction with municipal departments so that anyone who wanted to get rid of a pet or stray could simply bring it to - say - the library or town hall. Just sayin'.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
gorgeous and so lucky she found you!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:46 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
What a pretty kitty! I'm so glad she's in your care and will now live a life of love, especially after having such a rough start...bless you!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:17 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Awww, Gypsy is so beautiful! Love her markings. Glad to hear that she is warming up to you and your other cats. Thanks for rescuing her!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
{{Hugs}}!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Smile Bless you....

Bless you for taking this kitty and giving her a good loving home. She's truly beautiful. Calico is my favorite color in cats. I wish you many happy years together.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Looks like her life has taken a turn for the better! ((HUGS)) to you both!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times

Oh, BLESS you for taking this gorgeous angel in. OH, how people can even think of mistreating such a precious feline! (lump in throat!)

(((HUGS))) Every blessing to you!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
What a great name! It suits her very well Thank you for rescuing her.

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with people. However, whoever dropped her off at least realized that they (or whoever they got her from) could not care for her and were at least responsible enough to drop her off at a place that could (for all we know, someone could have kittennapped her from an irresponsible owner and dropped her off at the hospital so that they wouldn't be found out. Or maybe a family had some irresopnsible kids who just couldn't learn how to properly care for and treat a cat...)

It is not ideal but it is preferable to other ways of getting rid of a cat that can't be cared for, which is why shelters and hospitals were established in the first place (and which is why I am grateful every day that they were established). I'm so happy to see that this cat will finally know what love is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats